talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last Man Standing - World Cup Edition!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

This is really tricky now. I think for my odds to work out best I have to take Croatia and pray. If i choose France now and they advance I would be forced to take Croatia in the final. Time for a leap of faith!

Put me down for Croatia. 

6 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

This is really tricky now. I think for my odds to work out best I have to take Croatia and pray. If i choose France now and they advance I would be forced to take Croatia in the final. Time for a leap of faith!

Put me down for Croatia. 

Fuck, same with me except swap Croatia with England. Not confident at all!!!

• Subscriber

Update - Semi Final 1

Casualties (0)

giphy.gif

Belgium were the only team not backed by anybody in this round - so their defeat tonight doesn't reduce our roster any further. However, we can dig a grave or two in preparation for tomorrow night, with England and Croatia both carrying the hopes of at least one remaining contender, and they obviously can't both win.

Survivors (3)

giphy.gif

France are into the World Cup Final, with @Devon Von Devon, @...Dan and @The Artful Dodger in tow. Even if some of you had no choice but to go with them this time, well done for making it all the way to the Seventh Stage of the Last Man Standing tournament. The advantage now swings away from @Devon Von Devon, who had a choice of two different teams in the Semi-Finals, but will now be forced to back Belgium in the Third Place Playoff. @...Dan and @The Artful Dodger are laughing though - as they have now used all of France, Belgium, Croatia and England already, they get a free pick from any of the four teams in the Final or Third Place Playoff.

Not in play today (3)

Tomorrow's semi-final sees England (backed by @Cannabis and @Toinho) and Croatia (backed by @Viva la FCB) go head to head meaning that six will become either four or five.

As there are a guaranteed minimum of four contenders now into the last round of the tournament. We will have to settle the competition (potentially) using some sort of tie-break, so this is how things will work.

Phase A: Everyone will make their pick for the last two fixtures, although as mentioned at least one person will be forced to choose the last team they haven't used. If more than one person chooses a winner (or all remaining contenders choose a team that loses), then those players will be separated by Phase B.

Phase B: In addition to their winning team, each remaining competitor will be asked to choose their First Goalscorer in the World Cup Final. Whoever chooses the correct first goalscorer wins. In the event that more than one person chooses the correct first goalscorer, or the first goal is scored by somebody that wasn't picked by anyone, then we will have to use Phase C to choose a winner.

Phase C: This one becomes a bit of a lottery, but in addition to a winning team AND a First Goalscorer in the World Cup Final, you will be asked to pick the time of the first goal in the World Cup Final (to the nearest minute). If this somehow doesn't leave us with one clear champion then you guys can decide among yourselves who gets to be the champion, or whether you'll share the imaginary trophy three days each a week, taking turns on Sundays.

Nobody needs to make these choices yet, I will tag you all after the other semi-final to prompt you to make your three picks. Any questions about the tie breakers in the meantime are welcome.

Enjoy the game tomorrow night guys!

19 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I don't like the rules for the free pick. Think that is disappointing. Why should they get the advantage for having used the four teams left already? There road should end there. 

Haha I agree. The people who have picked tactically to have a team left for the final round are punished. xD Maybe we should all get a free pick in the last round?

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Toinho said:

I don't like the rules for the free pick. Think that is disappointing. Why should they get the advantage for having used the four teams left already? Their road should end there. 

13 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Haha I agree. The people who have picked tactically to have a team left for the final round are punished. xD Maybe we should all get a free pick in the last round?

I can't really be arsed debating this to be honest. There's no fully fair way of doing it with a knockout tournament so I had to make a decision on the rules at the start. If there's a unanimous or strong majority agreement for everyone to have a free pick in the last round I'm happy to go with that.

6 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

@RandoEFC So this means i have to go through an extra round ? If Belgium win i have to choose from the final as well ?

No, so say Belgium win but two people also pick France to win the final and they are also correct, we can't have three winners. So you'll each choose a first goalscorer for the final and whoever gets that right is the champion. 

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

No, so say Belgium win but two people also pick France to win the final and they are also correct, we can't have three winners. So you'll each choose a first goalscorer for the final and whoever gets that right is the champion. 

Honestly should the Third place match even count ?. Belgium and the next team who join them are basically out of the competition.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Honestly should the Third place match even count ?. Belgium and the next team who join them are basically out of the competition.

I don't know, just wanted to give people more options but like I've said above, I can't really be arsed changing the rules so late on as then the other people with the new disadvantage will argue the other side of it. Likewise if you can agree as a vast majority of remaining survivors that one of these rule changes would be better by tomorrow I'll happily agree.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't know, just wanted to give people more options but like I've said above, I can't really be arsed changing the rules so late on as then the other people with the new disadvantage will argue the other side of it. Likewise if you can agree as a vast majority of remaining survivors that one of these rule changes would be better by tomorrow I'll happily agree.

Yeah what Dodger said stick with the rules.

• Subscriber

Update - Semi Final 2

Casualties (2)

giphy.gif

We knew there had to be blood tonight with loyalties split between Croatia and England, some by choice, some not. @Cannabis suffers a double whammy as England are edged out by Croatia and he is edged out of the Last Man Standing competition, joined in joint fifth position by @Toinho who took a smart gamble on leaving France available for the Final but was let down by those pesky Poms. A great effort from you both nonetheless.

Survivors (1)

giphy.gif

It's not great quality but it's the best I could get on GIPHY. While many of us on TF365 will appreciate the sight of a half-naked young lady on this dark evening, @Viva la FCB needs no such comfort, as Mario Mandzukic makes him the fourth and final survivor in the final round of the Last Man Standing contest. Congratulations!

Not in play today (3)

@Devon Von Devon, @The Artful Dodger, @...Dan, having already qualified yesterday, welcome to the last round of the Last Man Standing contest. Please see below for details on what you need to do to battle it out with @Viva la FCB for the title of Last Man Standing.

Phase 1: Choose a team you think will win from either the Final (France v Croatia) or Third Place Playoff (England v Belgium).

@Devon Von Devon - You have now used Croatia (v Nigeria), England (v Sweden) and France (v Belgium). Therefore you have no choice but to go with BELGIUM at this stage.

@...Dan - You have used Belgium (v Panama), Croatia (v Denmark), England (v Sweden) and France (v Belgium). As per the rules, you can now choose any of these four teams for a second time.

@The Artful Dodger - You have used Croatia (v Nigeria), Belgium (v Japan), England (v Sweden) and France (v Belgium). As per the rules, you can now choose any of these four teams for a second time.

@Viva la FCB - You have used Belgium (v Japan), England (v Sweden) and Croatia (v England). Therefore you have no choice but to go with FRANCE at this stage.

If just one person makes the right pick in Phase 1, they will be crowned the Last Man Standing. If more than one person is correct in Phase 1, just those people will move into Phase 2 to decide a champion and anyone who made an incorrect pick is out. If nobody is correct in Phase 1, all four players will move onto Phase 2 to decide a champion.

Phase 2: Name the first goalscorer in the World Cup Final only (not the Third Place Playoff)

This is obviously completely open. If you want to wait to see the line-ups on Sunday afternoon before you pick then fine, but I suggest you choose somebody in advance and then change it before kick off if you want to. This would be a weird circumstance but if the match ends 0-0 after 120 minutes and goes to penalties, the first person to score in the shootout will not count as the First Goalscorer. In light of this, I will accept "No First Goalscorer" as a pick at this stage, if you're a brave bastard like that.

If just one person that survives Phase 1 makes a correct pick in Phase 2, they will be crowned the Last Man Standing. If more than one person picks the correct First Goalscorer, or nobody that takes part in Phase 2 picks the correct First Goalscorer, we will have to move to Phase 3 to pick a winner.

Phase 3: Give the time of the first goal in the World Cup Final only (not the Third Place Playoff) correct to the nearest minute

Self-explanatory. If it comes to this then whoever is closest wins.

Hopefully that's all clear but please ask me if there is any misunderstanding. For an example, your entry could look like this:

Match Winner: Belgium

First Goalscorer: Antoine Griezmann

Time of First Goal: 55'

Good luck to our last four survivors!

11 hours ago, Toinho said:

Congratulations @Viva la FCB. True champion and last man standing! I went Croatia then England, had I gone the other way round like you did we'd share the title! 

Haha well technically, at the moment he's only done as much as the rest of us. No one's used the same team twice yet. If France win on sunday I'd have no problem with you calling him the unofficial winner.

• Subscriber

Let's get our heads around this then:

If Croatia win the World Cup, @Devon Von Devon wins the competition having backed Belgium where the other three players backed France.

If France win the World Cup and Giroud is the first goalscorer, @Devon Von Devon wins the competition.

If France win the World Cup and Griezmann is the first goalscorer, @The Artful Dodger wins the competition.

If France win the World Cup and Mbappe scores the first goal before 31:00, @Viva la FCB wins the competition.

If France win the World Cup and Mbappe scores the first goal on 31:00 or later, @...Dan wins the competition.

If France win the World Cup and none of Giroud, Mbappe or Griezmann score the first goal, we will go down to the time of first goal, and the winner will be crowned as follows:

First goal before 31:00 @Viva la FCB wins.

First goal between 31:00 and 34:29 @The Artful Dodger wins.

First goal between 35:00 and 53:29 @...Dan wins.

First goal from 53:30 onwards @Devon Von Devon wins.

Good luck guys.

Archived