The better place to talk football.

Group E Matchday 1 - 17th June - Costa Rica 0-1 Serbia, Brazil 1-1 Switzerland

football forum

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Machado said:

How is Fernandinho not starting here?

Because Tite doesn't have him in his trademark lineup.

He always starts the same team

Besides, I've never liked Fernandinho for Brasil. Never been as good as at City.

23 minutes ago, Machado said:

How is Fernandinho not starting here?

It was either him or Casemiro, and Tite probably feels Casemiro does a job covering the ground for the full-backs.

This is our starting XI: 

Alisson; Danilo, Thiago Silva, Miranda e Marcelo (capitão); Paulinho, Casemiro e Philippe Coutinho; Willian, Gabriel Jesus e Neymar

I have discussed with Antoñito and Brian how I feel about our midfield. Tite left home the best central midfielder our football has developed in a long time and I hope this decison doesn´t come back to haunt us. 

2 minutes ago, Machado said:

Why Paulinho? @El Profesor what do you think about him?

Paulinho is a "homem de confiança" for Tite. This is a very strong concept in brazilian football. They won Copa Libertadores and beat Chelsea together and Paulinho generally does well in the national team. 

While I think Paulinho is a good and very useful player, especially against big sides, he is gifted physically and has a knock for scoring goals, he wouldn´t be part of my ideal midfield. There are, in my opinion, better options. We have better and more creative passers than Paulinho. 

Brazil has struggled against sides that defend deep against us. The England friendly last November was a good example of it, and this to me is due to the lack of creativity in our midfielder. 

8 minutes ago, Machado said:

Who is that?

Arthur. As @SirBalon knows, he is my boy. xD  I love seeing that kid play, Brazil generally don´t develop midfielders like him. 

Neymar, despite scoring two beautiful goals in the last two friendlies, didn´t appear a 100% fit to me. I´m curious to see how he does today. 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Paulinho is a "homem de confiança" for Tite. This is a very strong concept in brazilian football. They won Copa Libertadores and beat Chelsea together and Paulinho generally does well in the national team. 

While I think Paulinho is a good and very useful player, especially against big sides, he is gifted physically and has a knock for scoring goals, he wouldn´t be part of my ideal midfield. There are, in my opinion, better options. We have better and more creative passers than Paulinho. 

Brazil has struggled against sides that defend deep against us. The England friendly last November was a good example of it, and this to me is due to the lack of creativity in our midfielder. 

Arthur. As @SirBalon knows, he is my boy. xD  I love seeing that kid play, Brazil generally don´t develop midfielders like him. 

Neymar, despite scoring two beautiful goals in the last two friendlies, didn´t appear a 100% fit to me. I´m curious to see how he does today. 

Yeah... Arthur is special!  He's special because of where he plays on the field and how he does it... It's extremely difficult to develop a player in that area of midfield for anyone, a player that has all the necessary attributes to a very high level.

Talking about Arthur... The latest is that Ernesto Valverde himself has told the board to start negotiating with Grêmio straight away on whatever they want to bring forward the date to this summer.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Yeah... Arthur is special!  He's special because of where he plays on the field and how he does it... It's extremely difficult to develop a player in that area of midfield for anyone, a player that has all the necessary attributes to a very high level.

Talking about Arthur... The latest is that Ernesto Valverde himself has told the board to start negotiating with Grêmio straight away on whatever they want to bring forward the date to this summer.

Definitely. He is such an engine in the midfield. He is small but protects the ball very well. Arthur makes the brazilian league look easy. He has to literally be kicked out of matches because noone can steal the ball from him. Not to mention the dynamic of his passes.

How could he leave this man out? :57_cry:

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Definitely. He is such an engine in the midfield. He is small but protects the ball very well. Arthur makes the brazilian league look easy. He has to literally be kicked out of matches because noone can steal the ball from him. Not to mention the dynamic of his passes.

How could he leave this man out? :57_cry:

I've seen lots of videos of Arthur and a few live games too... In the one you've provided there (that spin he tends to do a lot to get rid of a pressing midfielder) is so Xavi.  The size doesn't matter in football... What matters is the gift, the talent.

• The title was changed to Group E Matchday 1 - 17th June - Costa Rica 0-1 Serbia, Brazil 1-1 Switzerland
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived