talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group E Matchday 1 - 17th June - Costa Rica 0-1 Serbia, Brazil 1-1 Switzerland

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

This is the flaw of this team. The midfield. Coutinho is a strange player to evaluate. He is so talented and a goal threat with his shot, he also has all the attributes to be a great attacking midfielder, but his playmaking leave a lot be desired. He alone is not enough.

Paulinho and Renato Augusto were always poor choices for the midfield. Fred may be the only midfielder in the entire squad with a different dynamic of passing. 

Tite decided to take players he´s familiar with and forego other options. Allan, from Napoli, Arthur, Fabinho were never given chances. He didn´t even try to experiment other options.

Upfront, Gabriel Jesus was terrible. He fought the ball. It was not pleasant to see. Firmino did much more than him in the time he played. 

To answer @Kowabunga ´s question, no, Neymar is not totally fit. Poor match by him. And his antics are irritating. Shoudn´t have played the 90 minutes, Douglas Costa should have entered this match. 

Can´t complain about the referee. Even if Miranda was pushed: 1) he is a defender, a defender can´t be that soft; 2) what the heck Thiago Silva and Danilo were doing watching other? xD Pathetic positioning; 3) Alisson: goalkeepers are allowed to claim that cross! 

As Mike Tyson says: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." 

The swiss goal was our KO. Brazil never recovered from it. 

As for Switzerland,  Brahimi and Lichtsteiner were great. They won the battle against a strong brazilian left flank. Lots of tenacity and leadership. And Shaqiri, in my opinion, was the man of the match. Really liked his match today. Despite being always outnumbered by brazilian defenders, he held the ball and create trouble for our defence during all night. :89_clap:

I dont think Neymar should start the next game and I think Bobby should be in before Jesus as well. not much holding up play or penetrating attack play up front from the young man and hes not bad but I think the players on the pitch today for you'll should have scored atleast two more goals imo. Neymar got bossed off the ball so much it would have probably infuriated him and then the mistakes started showing as well. I thought Miranda wasn't too bad at all and maybe he got pushed off the ball cheaply but the rest of his game wasn't so bad.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

This is the flaw of this team. The midfield. Coutinho is a strange player to evaluate. He is so talented and a goal threat with his shot, he also has all the attributes to be a great attacking midfielder, but his playmaking leave a lot be desired. He alone is not enough.

Paulinho and Renato Augusto were always poor choices for the midfield. Fred may be the only midfielder in the entire squad with a different dynamic of passing. 

Tite decided to take players he´s familiar with and forego other options. Allan, from Napoli, Arthur, Fabinho were never given chances. He didn´t even try to experiment other options.

Upfront, Gabriel Jesus was terrible. He fought the ball. It was not pleasant to see. Firmino did much more than him in the time he played. 

To answer @Kowabunga ´s question, no, Neymar is not totally fit. Poor match by him. And his antics are irritating. Shoudn´t have played the 90 minutes, Douglas Costa should have entered this match. 

Can´t complain about the referee. Even if Miranda was pushed: 1) he is a defender, a defender can´t be that soft; 2) what the heck Thiago Silva and Danilo were doing watching other? xD Pathetic positioning; 3) Alisson: goalkeepers are allowed to claim that cross! 

As Mike Tyson says: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." 

The swiss goal was our KO. Brazil never recovered from it. 

As for Switzerland,  Brahimi and Lichtsteiner were great. They won the battle against a strong brazilian left flank. Lots of tenacity and leadership. And Shaqiri, in my opinion, was the man of the match. Really liked his match today. Despite being always outnumbered by brazilian defenders, he held the ball and create trouble for our defence during all night. :89_clap:

Yeah, the midfield is an issue and better equipped players for the talent up front were left behind.  All coaches do the same though mate and you know this. Not just Tite!

All the same, this was a game where a result like this could happen and it doesn't mean much. I'm sure Brazil will be much better in the remaining group games.  Things like these shouldn't get bad press in my view because it doesn't help anyone and doesn't benefit the team at all.  It's a draw and a point. The objective is to get into the next round and grow into tournament.

16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I dont think Neymar should start the next game and I think Bobby should be in before Jesus as well. not much holding up play or penetrating attack play up front from the young man and hes not bad but I think the players on the pitch today for you'll should have scored atleast two more goals imo. Neymar got bossed off the ball so much it would have probably infuriated him and then the mistakes started showing as well. I thought Miranda wasn't too bad at all and maybe he got pushed off the ball cheaply but the rest of his game wasn't so bad.

Neymar will play. No coach has the guts to leave him on the bench. And he needs the playing time. The problem is that he shouldn´t be playing the entire match here. 60 to 75 minutes would be the ideal. 

I agree about the striker. Firmino had a better season than Jesus and there was a significant difference in level between both today. 

14 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, the midfield is an issue and better equipped players for the talent up front were left behind.  All coaches do the same though mate and you know this. Not just Tite!

All the same, this was a game where a result like this could happen and it doesn't mean much. I'm sure Brazil will be much better in the remaining group games.  Things like these shouldn't get bad press in my view because it doesn't help anyone and doesn't benefit the team at all.  It's a draw and a point. The objective is to get into the next round and grow into tournament.

Yes. I understand the reasoning behind it. I really do. This is the group of guys that turned things around and qualified the team to the World Cup. Loyalty is important in the relationship between coach and players. At the same time, you know well how blind loyalty to a certain group of players can be the downfall of many teams. You must find the balance. 

I agree, it´s the first match. Putting things in perspective is important. It´s unreal to expect to crush everyone in the World Cup. It doesn´t work that way. My main grip is with the performance. It should and must be criticized. There are problems in this team and they are not new. 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Neymar will play. No coach has the guts to leave him on the bench. And he needs the playing time. The problem is that he shouldn´t be playing the entire match here. 60 to 75 minutes would be the ideal. 

I agree about the striker. Firmino had a better season than Jesus and there was a significant difference in level between both today. 

Yes. I understand the reasoning behind it. I really do. This is the group of guys that turned things around and qualified the team to the World Cup. Loyalty is important in the relationship between a coach and a player. At the same time, you know well how blind loyalty to a certain group of players can be downfall of many teams. You must find the balance. 

I agree, it´s the first match. Putting things in perspective is important. It´s unreal to expect to crush everyone in the World Cup. It doesn´t work that way. My main grip is with the performance. It should and must be criticized. There are problems in this team and they are not new. 

The coach will have seen that performance too and he will analyse it without a doubt.  The issue is that if he wants to tweak the team, has he taken the options with him for that necessary refinement. Confidence also is an element that carries you through and makes you grow... The next two matches are vital in terms of performance and all of a sudden one thinks that the team hasn't got all that many negative issues.

For me Germany have more problems from having seen today's game, but I'm also sure they'll iron them out.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I think his confidence is key so maybe playing him more is a good thing but at the cost of losing the ball cheaply in the midfield is a weird position to be in as a coach. I see it the other way around where bringing him on in the second half (start) affords him to expend a bit more energy and influence a game which he can as the team needs fresher legs. 

He was instrumental in the Coutinho goal as well because defenders know he is a threat so they immediately setup to cover him leaving other players free to operate but its the other part of his game which was very good, getting past people, using open spaces behind defenders very well, that part seems to have dwindled a bit and he isn't really match fit hence my comment about him coming over versus starting and then coming off.

• Subscriber

I don't know how they've performed on the international stage, but I don't see why Firmino doesn't start instead of Jesus, who is an excellent finisher but as an all round footballer leaves a lot to be desired.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

The coach will have seen that performance too and he will analyse it without a doubt.  The issue is that if he wants to tweak the team, has he taken the options with him for that necessary refinement. Confidence also is an element that carries you through and makes you grow... The next two matches are vital in terms of performance and all of a sudden one thinks that the team hasn't got all that many negative issues.

For me Germany have more problems from having seen today's game, but I'm also sure they'll iron them out.

This is a dilemma. For example, Gabriel Jesus had an awful match and Firmino is performing better than him. But making that change after the 1st match is a very hard call. You don´t want to kill the kid´s confidence. You´ll need him at some point, and perhaps being patient and showing him confidence is what he needs at this moment. Not to mention, this message carry across the entire group of players. Man, dealing with humans are tough. Being fair and considerate in the assesment of your players make a difference.

Knowing  how to press the right buttons at the right time is difficult. 

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think his confidence is key so maybe playing him more is a good thing but at the cost of losing the ball cheaply in the midfield is a weird position to be in as a coach. I see it the other way around where bringing him on in the second half (start) affords him to expend a bit more energy and influence a game which he can as the team needs fresher legs. 

He was instrumental in the Coutinho goal as well because defenders know he is a threat so they immediately setup to cover him leaving other players free to operate but its the other part of his game which was very good, getting past people, using open spaces behind defenders very well, that part seems to have dwindled a bit and he isn't really match fit hence my comment about him coming over versus starting and then coming off.

Even at his best, Neymar loses lots of balls. For better and for worse this is how he plays. Antoñito can attest. xD

But I agree, he´s not totally match fit. 

Another aspect of the match, was Brazil´s right flank not being a threat. Willian had a good 1st half, but in the 2nd half the ball almost never got to him. This is an aspect that must be worked. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Maybe Neymar would have played better if he had stayed in France to play the whole season, rather than faking an injury so he could go back to Brazil and pump his sister for the last 5 months. 

Image result for what gif

41 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

This is a dilemma. For example, Gabriel Jesus had an awful match and Firmino is performing better than him. But making that change after the 1st match is a very hard call. You don´t want to kill the kid´s confidence. You´ll need him at some point, and perhaps being patient and showing him confidence is what he needs at this moment. Not to mention, this message carry across the entire group of players. Man, dealing with humans are tough. Being fair and considerate in the assesment of your players make a difference.

Knowing  how to press the right buttons at the right time is difficult. 

Tite could've solved the issue by playing Firmino in this first game against a defence that is very European and hardy with Switzerland.  The Swiss may not be a massive name in the world of football but this Swiss side if you look at their stats, are very very hard to break down  just when you think you have them under control they manage to wriggle out... They're not going to challenge for anything but they make you work very hard for anything. For this reason I reckon Tite had a great chance to give that as an excuse and then in the easier group games bring those younger ones into the fold so they can enjoy themselves a bit more.

But hey... This is just playing Devil's Advocate because the coach is the one that knows his players best and I'm sure he analysed Switzerland well beforehand.  Just that Firmino being a more physically adept striker to get in between defenders feels more coherent.

31 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Even at his best, Neymar loses lots of balls. For better and for worse this is how he plays. Antoñito can attest. xD

But I agree, he´s not totally match fit. 

Another aspect of the match, was Brazil´s right flank not being a threat. Willian had a good 1st half, but in the 2nd half the ball almost never got to him. This is an aspect that must be worked. 

Yeah, Neymar is like that but you won't change him and neither should anyone change the way he plays.  He is a thorn in the backside of defences when on form and the defenders on him KNOW he'll try and try again with something different each time.  It doesn't always work but when he's motoring he's very difficult to deal with.

He just needs to get his game rhythm back because there's fitness and there's match fitness.  Switzerland are onto you and don't give you any space which is why the second line are so important and Coutinho was one of them with Paulinho having a massive chance too.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

In any case, Brazil players may have (at least for spurts), the ability to totally obliterate the oppossing team in their own half and not needing great deep lying playmaking, but just the 3-quartistas "afilándose los dientes".

5 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

In any case, Brazil players may have (at least for spurts), the ability to totally obliterate the oppossing team in their own half and not needing great deep lying playmaking, but just the 3-quartistas "afilándose los dientes".

That's the way they've been playing practically since after 1982.  Brazil are very strong defensively in the centre and their midfield protects that defence.  The best way to get at Brazil is out wide and not every team has got the necessary tools to execute well in that area...  It's an art that's been dying for a number of years now due to possession football being more contemporary.

This is the reason why the result is actually a good one and there should really be no bad press considering some issues like Neymar getting match fitness and some of the younger players performing in their first ever World Cup. The second game will tell us a lot more where Brazil is concerned.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That's the way they've been playing practically since after 1982.  Brazil are very strong defensively in the centre and their midfield protects that defence.  The best way to get at Brazil is out wide and not every team has got the necessary tools to execute well in that area...  It's an art that's been dying for a number of years now due to possession football being more contemporary.

This is the reason why the result is actually a good one and there should really be no bad press considering some issues like Neymar getting match fitness and some of the younger players performing in their first ever World Cup. The second game will tell us a lot more where Brazil is concerned.

That's right. It should be business as usual, but they only truly succeeded at playing their winning way for thirty minutes in the first half and in the last minutes when the winning team possession collapses by default.

4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Xhaka had a decent game i thought, looks more comfortable playing for the Swiss.

I think he is overhyped. For all the praises I've heard about him, when I see him live I only see a stocky player, a glorified Munitis.

Just now, Kowabunga said:

That's right. It should be business as usual, but they only truly succeeded at playing their winning way for thirty minutes in the first half and in the last minutes when the winning team possession collapses by default.

I think he is overhyped. For all the praises I've heard about him, when I see him live I only see a stocky player, a glorified Munitis.

Yeah for Arsenal as Wenger tried to turn him into something he is not.

10 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Xhaka had a decent game i thought, looks more comfortable playing for the Swiss.

He's played better for Arsenal and has done so consistently. Him not being good for Arsenal is a myth.

Talking about central midfield though, Casemiro was shocking for Brazil.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Maybe Neymar would have played better if he had stayed in France to play the whole season, rather than faking an injury so he could go back to Brazil and pump his sister for the last 5 months. 

I thought it was Oscar that was into that? xD

• The topic was unpinned
17 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

OK. I´ll take it.

so far my house is the only thing left to me. I lost money when Argentina couldn't beat Iceland and I lost even more when Brazil couldn't beat Switzerland. Fuck both Neymar and Messi!!!

Refereeing has been shocking at this WC. How the Swiss goal wasn't disallowed is beyond me.

Average performance by Brazil. Switzerland aren't very spectacular, but they are no mugs. You can't expect to break their defense consistently, by playing at a slow pace.

First time since 1982 that Brazil doesn't win their first match. 

Archived