talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real Ale

football forum

Needs a thread, I'm North of 30 now and I can't drink lager for shit. I moved over to ales about two years ago and discovered a whole load of trendy cunts had done the same. 

Anyway I stick at it, I love my pale ales anything remotely golden. Anybody else a fan?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough I enjoyed ale a lot more when I was in my late teens early twenties.  Now I prefer a clean lager...  I drink lager because I like the flavour and I only drink it if it's ice ice cold which is something rare in London.

I drink lager, ale, stout, porter, gose, and sour. I drink beer nearly everyday and I try (it would average out to) a new beer once a week. It's why I'm fat, stupid and ugly. 

The IPA is an incredibly popular brew stateside that it's almost upsetting, the lager is pushed to the side relegated to macrobrews. Some of them are great, most are Triple IPAs that are far, far, far too hoppy for me. I avoid them because of the estrogens in the hops which cause male bitch tits. The new en vogue beer is the sour, which I'm not complaining about. The more sour the better, sometimes the saltier the better in the case of the gose.

Occasionally, I find a six pack of unskunked Newcastle Brown which is always a small treat.

A new marketing campaign for Guinness is happening stateside using the old 'Guinness is good for you' mantra, I have to say it's working. Even though Guinness is incredibly expensive, weak and watery for a stout I find myself buying it every now and then.

I live next door to a growler store and I'm on great terms with the owner so sometimes when he gets a promotional item or someone brings in something from out of 'state' he gives me a sample

One of the best beers I've ever had is a saison from the Stillwater Brewery named 'Stillwater Extra Dry'. It's brewed with 'sake' in mind and boy, I could drink it forever.

Image result for stillwater extra dry

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I live next door to a growler store and I'm on great terms with the owner so sometimes when he gets a promotional item or someone brings in something from out of 'state' he gives me a sample

One of the best beers I've ever had is a saison from the Stillwater Brewery named 'Stillwater Extra Dry'. It's brewed with 'sake' in mind and boy, I could drink it forever.

Is that an ale?

Right now, I'm drinking the 'Noel Delirium' from the Hughe brewery in Belgium. It's really boozey as expected from a Belgian strong dark ale. Very nice especially when it's sat out from the fridge for a bit.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Is that an ale?

Yeah mate, a saison is a Walloon-style pale ale. It was pretty much invented by 'farm workers' for a hot summer's harvest. It's often called the 'farmhouse beer'.

I'm a beer nerd xD

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah mate, a saison is a Walloon-style pale ale. It was pretty much invented by 'farm workers' for a hot summer's harvest. It's often called the 'farmhouse beer'.

I'm a beer nerd xD

I love beer aswel and even though my favourite is lager, I do taste anything new on the market.  The design is very clean too on that tin!

Another think is that I try to keep away from tinned beers because the metal affects the taste after a while for me.  Although I have friends in Japan that say they've invented some sort of tin that doesn't affect the taste of liquids.

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Needs a thread, I'm North of 30 now and I can't drink lager for shit. I moved over to ales about two years ago and discovered a whole load of trendy cunts had done the same. 

Anyway I stick at it, I love my pale ales anything remotely golden. Anybody else a fan?

Just stick to stuff on hand-pumps - the trendies tend to avoid that (oop north anyway) as they prefer dropping £6 on a 4%, 500ml bottle and call it 'craft ale'.

Personally, I'll try anything that has half of a suggestion that some love has been put into it (ooh-er), rather than the gash-in-a-can served up by AB InBev (Fosters, Carling, Stella, even Leffe).

The best beer in the world is brewed by Bank Top Brewery in Bolton and called Port O'Call:

900000000936.jpg

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I love beer aswel and even though my favourite is lager, I do taste anything new on the market.  The design is very clean too on that tin!

Another think is that I try to keep away from tinned beers because the metal affects the taste after a while for me.  Although I have friends in Japan that say they've invented some sort of tin that doesn't affect the taste of liquids.

Everyone I know says that. I honestly think it's the greatest beer design every made. Seriously mate! Everyone I know says that it's the best looking can they've seen.

Being an Ozzie in Amerika is almost a curse. Everyone seems to think I'm going to drink Fosters. That beer stopped being brewed in Australia before I was born (moved to Pommieland) and it was the 'alcoholics choice' when it was brewed in Australia. Only in the past two years has Fosters been brewed once more in Australia.

It is shite and the first time I tried it was actually in the States.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Being an Ozzie in Amerika is almost a curse. Everyone seems to think I'm going to drink Fosters. That beer stopped being brewed in Australia before I was born (moved to Pommieland) and it was the 'alcoholics choice' when it was brewed in Australia. Only in the past two years has Fosters been brewed once more in Australia.

It is shite and the first time I tried it was actually in the States.

Brewed in Manchester and tastes no better than the river Irwell. Poison water.

54 minutes ago, Spike said:

Everyone I know says that. I honestly think it's the greatest beer design every made. Seriously mate! Everyone I know says that it's the best looking can they've seen.

It's an excellent design and one that looks to have had some money spent on it too.  I work in that industry and that was what caught my eye and even though you've got the old saying of "don't judge a book by its cover", it's good that the product is quality.

6 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Just stick to stuff on hand-pumps - the trendies tend to avoid that (oop north anyway) as they prefer dropping £6 on a 4%, 500ml bottle and call it 'craft ale'.

Personally, I'll try anything that has half of a suggestion that some love has been put into it (ooh-er), rather than the gash-in-a-can served up by AB InBev (Fosters, Carling, Stella, even Leffe).

The best beer in the world is brewed by Bank Top Brewery in Bolton and called Port O'Call:

900000000936.jpg

Depends on the pub. we have loads on tap down here nowadays. 

I don't mind some lagers but I can't drink it on tap, i sweat it out about 5am horrible stuff. 

The trouble with Ale is there isn't a set taste so you could ask for one you don't know and it turns out to taste like shit, piss and strawberries mixed together. 

I don't want to be one of those people who asks for a "taster" either, fuck me.

11 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The trouble with Ale is there isn't a set taste so you could ask for one you don't know and it turns out to taste like shit, piss and strawberries mixed together. 

I don't want to be one of those people who asks for a "taster" either, fuck me.

A lot of craft stuff is like that.  Some of the stuff tastes smokey and almost stale which defeats the object for me when wanting a drink something that's cold (or meant to be cold).

16 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

A lot of craft stuff is like that.  Some of the stuff tastes smokey and almost stale which defeats the object for me when wanting a drink something that's cold (or meant to be cold).

Serving ale at the same temperature as lager is a crime which should be punishable by death.

9 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

Serving ale at the same temperature as lager is a crime which should be punishable by death.

That's why I didn't use the word "chilled" mate, which is what lager is meant to be but practically impossible to find in England unless you go to a very high end bar and pay £8 for a pint.  Ale should be cold, not lukewarm or just below room temperature.

13 hours ago, Spike said:

Dirty bugger.

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That's why I didn't use the word "chilled" mate, which is what lager is meant to be but practically impossible to find in England unless you go to a very high end bar and pay £8 for a pint.  Ale should be cold, not lukewarm or just below room temperature.

Fair difference and I agree.

But man, where the hell do you live where you can't find a properly freezing cold lager unless you remortgage your house? It's only an extra chiller under the bar, which most large breweries install free as part of the whole pump-head set up! 

16 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Fair difference and I agree.

But man, where the hell do you live where you can't find a properly freezing cold lager unless you remortgage your house? It's only an extra chiller under the bar, which most large breweries install free as part of the whole pump-head set up! 

He's London mate, shandy is better served at room temperature 

Slightly off topic but I was talking to someone in Milton Keynes the other day they said it's 350k ish for a basic 3 bed, utter madness. 

You can still get a decent 3 bed semi in a decent part of Brum for 150-200k and I guarantee you that the services and amenities are better than anything you'll get outside London itself. I couldn't believe it, there's loads of trendy Londoners filling the trendy parts of Brum now its scandalous the price of things south of the M42

57 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Slightly off topic but I was talking to someone in Milton Keynes the other day they said it's 350k ish for a basic 3 bed, utter madness. 

You can still get a decent 3 bed semi in a decent part of Brum for 150-200k and I guarantee you that the services and amenities are better than anything you'll get outside London itself. I couldn't believe it, there's loads of trendy Londoners filling the trendy parts of Brum now its scandalous the price of things south of the M42

They're doing it in Coventry too - it's an hour away from Euston on the train. Lunacy.

I'm just waiting for Bolton to become a trendy suburb of Manchester and my 2-up 2-down will treble in value and I can retire before I reach 30...

Archived