talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group G Matchday 1 - 18th June - Belgium 3-0 Panama, Tunisia 1-2 England

football forum

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the fact Tunisia lost, that Dylan Bronn had interesting qualities. He wasn't just a center back that defends. He was good at playing it out and was able to put a few decent through balls up front to create a few chances. Defensively suspect but he's more gifted than the average central defender.

Great opening 25 minutes, then dropped a bollock and with the 2 really bad decisions that Kane never got we ground to a halt but justice was done in the end.. Really hard slog for us in the second half but scraped through... 

Hard work!  Southgate will have to look at several issues surrounding how monotone the team were in the second half.  Better teams can punish you severely for that type of cardinal sin.  But the important thing are the three points which should now boost England into the next phase.

Loftus-Cheek needs to start, Alli and Lingard are too similar. Only player who can really beat a man and create from midfield.

Second half was dull, Southgate needs to address that drop in quality. But overall, we should have had two penalties and could have scored a couple in the first half so it was a deserved win and on another day could have been a 2-3 goal win.

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

Gotta say though, why is Dier not playing at centre back? Surely a better option than Maguire? And Walker.

I'd have Cahill ahead of Dier to be honest. Always seen Dier as a defensive midfielder. 

Well...that was shit. Proper shit actually. Double shit because of that opening thirty or so minutes when England actually looked like a team that had played together, a team that had confidence, a team that didn’t looked nothing like an England team I’ve seen for much of my lifetime. 

How we didn’t go into that half time break three or four up was mind boggling. Lingard wasted chance after chance. Nerves, maybe but that could have cost England and we couldn’t really afford near misses.

Then the penalty was given to Tunisia and England went back to being England. Back in our shell we retreated, bereft of confidence and completely away from everything that led to that first half hour being as good as it was. 

The second half was utterly dire. England got away with it in the end as Tunisia had worked pretty hard for a point and you couldn’t really begrudge them a point for attempting what most club sides attempt away from home every week across the country. 

Part of me thinks that was a chance gone begging. With the chances England had in the first half, it could/should have been more and with Belgium getting three against Panama, that was an opportunity to match/better them. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd have Cahill ahead of Dier to be honest. Always seen Dier as a defensive midfielder. 

I get playing Walker in terms of us having no pace at centre back, but I'd go with Cahill at least over Maguire and then think about Dier for Walker.

Can't not see Maguire getting done by a decent high pressing side.

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Well...that was shit. Proper shit actually. Double shit because of that opening thirty or so minutes when England actually looked like a team that had played together, a team that had confidence, a team that didn’t looked nothing like an England team I’ve seen for much of my lifetime. 

How we didn’t go into that half time break three or four up was mind boggling. Lingard wasted chance after chance. Nerves, maybe but that could have cost England and we couldn’t really afford near misses.

Then the penalty was given to Tunisia and England went back to being England. Back in our shell we retreated, bereft of confidence and completely away from everything that led to that first half hour being as good as it was. 

The second half was utterly dire. England got away with it in the end as Tunisia had worked pretty hard for a point and you couldn’t really begrudge them a point for attempting what most club sides attempt away from home every week across the country. 

Part of me thinks that was a chance gone begging. With the chances England had in the first half, it could/should have been more and with Belgium getting three against Panama, that was an opportunity to match/better them. 

England sides of the recent past would have drew that imo. Not the toughest game to win but pressure on the players when it's not going well. On another day we could have won that by 3 or 4. Don't worry about goal difference, Belgium will top the group.

• The title was changed to Group G Matchday 1 - 18th June - Belgium 3-0 Panama, Tunisia 1-2 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived