talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Patrick Vieira - From NYC to Nice

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

More than likely, but to say NYCFC not being a "proper" job is disrespectful to them. Its the wording that bothers me more than anything.

NYCFC are just a Man City splinter team, much like Melbourne. On those grounds alone they're not proper teams and I'm quite happy for that to be disrespectful. Oil fuelled franchises.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Danny said:

NYCFC are just a Man City splinter team, much like Melbourne. On those grounds alone they're not proper teams and I'm quite happy for that to be disrespectful. Oil fuelled franchises.

Its not like they are in the Andorran league though, they are in the MLS, which is a professional league and took over essentially a new franchise. Say what you want about the quality, but its hugely improved in recent years. Its not really the retirement league it used to be.

Its like saying Emery didn't have a proper job at PSG because they are oiled fueled. He may have done poorly but it is still a proper job.

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Admittedly I was just being a cunt. But it's a weak league somewhere between midtable Championship and midtable League One that has been sprinkled with gimmicks like Ibrahimovic, Henry, etc. The gimmicks being where meting being a cunt stemmed from.

Viera going to Nice is like Heckingbottom leaving Rotherham for Everton or Watford. A massive step up where in reality his time in the MLS won't offer too many clues as to how he'll do.

You are wrong again. The likes of LA Galaxy and Chicago Fire are ultimately shit because of that "retirement league" mentality, while the likes of Atlanta and Toronto thrive because they go for younger players. They have their gimmicks and I think its about championship level in general. A few years ago I would have said League Two or League One which is all opinion based, unlike the former. Its improved a lot and some people aren't willing to accept that.

It's not the best quality in the world, and when it comes to being a feeder league, they are awful just like the Liga MX but in terms of actual quality, its better than what it was. I also think you are overestimating Nice, they aren't on either Everton or Watford's level, although the latter is more of a fair comparison.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Its not like they are in the Andorran league though, they are in the MLS, which is a professional league and took over essentially a new franchise. Say what you want about the quality, but its hugely improved in recent years. Its not really the retirement league it used to be.

Its like saying Emery didn't have a proper job at PSG because they are oiled fueled. He may have done poorly but it is still a proper job.

Bradley Wright-Phillips couldn't establish himself in the Championship, he went to the MLS and became one of the league's top goal scorers, if not the top goal scorer. That's one example of recent history.

The MLS maybe improved from its inception, you'd expect it to. But it's standard, much like the A-League, is roughly between midtable Championship to midtable League One in England. It's a big leap to go from that to Nice which I'm sure someone like Viera could manage.

Youve missed my point regarding Emery, of course the job is proper. Even if PSG are an oil cash cow, at least they had a history before hand. New York City, Melbourne City...barely. Now they're just advertising space for their parent club Man City.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bradley Wright-Phillips couldn't establish himself in the Championship, he went to the MLS and became one of the league's top goal scorers, if not the top goal scorer. That's one example of recent history.

The MLS maybe improved from its inception, you'd expect it to. But it's standard, much like the A-League, is roughly between midtable Championship to midtable League One in England. It's a big leap to go from that to Nice which I'm sure someone like Viera could manage.

Youve missed my point regarding Emery, of course the job is proper. Even if PSG are an oil cash cow, at least they had a history before hand. New York City, Melbourne City...barely. Now they're just advertising space for their parent club Man City.

Maybe they are an advertising space for Manchester City, but that doesn't mean that a manager isn't going to take the job seriously. Nor the players. Again, its not like they play in the NASL or the Australian NPL. 

The MLS took a huge leap in quality around 2016, and Wright Philips doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. Trust me, I used to be one of the biggest critics of the MLS, claiming that without DP's it would be Peruvian League quality on several occasions. In recent years, they have proved me otherwise.

Toronto beating Tigres and Club America while New York Red Bulls beating Tijuana all at the same tournament is no small feat. Like I said, their biggest problem is that they are awful as a feeder league, but in terms of actual quality it is better than what you claim it to be. Same with the Liga MX.

Edit: Wright Philips is still doing well upon research, but my point is he isn't one of the bigger names compared to the likes of Giovinco, Almiron, etc.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

You are wrong again. The likes of LA Galaxy and Chicago Fire are ultimately shit because of that "retirement league" mentality, while the likes of Atlanta and Toronto thrive because they go for younger players. They have their gimmicks and I think its about championship level in general. A few years ago I would have said League Two or League One which is all opinion based, unlike the former. Its improved a lot and some people aren't willing to accept that.

It's not the best quality in the world, and when it comes to being a feeder league, they are awful just like the Liga MX but in terms of actual quality, its better than what it was. I also think you are overestimating Nice, they aren't on either Everton or Watford's level, although the latter is more of a fair comparison.

I'm factually not wrong, I was talking about the league in general, not each club.

No side in it would look comfortable playing in the Premier League, whereas a good handful of clubs in the Championship would. It lies between the Championship and League One in quality.

Wright-Phillips has been top goal scorer twice in the last 4 years and is third top goal scorer  this season....mate the quality is not that good. Of course he's not a big name player like Giovinco, he left Serie A for the MLS and was a genuine prospect at Juventus....but he's still scoring more than him. Which was the point.

Also @Danny you can't use the argument that Wright Philips being shit in the Championship yet doing well in the MLS speaks for the formers superiority. Do you know how many players have failed in the PL yet thrived elsewhere? Shevchenko, Pizarro, Falcao. That doesn't mean that Serie A, Bundesliga or La Liga is much worse than the PL, if at all. Each league has its own style and culture that certain players would benefit in and others wont. The PL also has huge footballing issues and some clubs focus more on the branding aspect and are awful with recruitment. I know Wright Philips is English, but not every footballer that comes out of the country is going to be "traditional".Its true part of the reason he thrives is that he plays in a weaker league, but it doesn't speak for the gap between the 2. Juan Manuel Vargas was better in Europe than he was in Peru for example. Both times he played here, he was a meme. In Europe, he was a top player, that doesn't mean we are a superior league to them.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

I'm factually not wrong, I was talking about the league in general, not each club.

No side in it would look comfortable playing in the Premier League, whereas a good handful of clubs in the Championship would. It lies between the Championship and League One in quality.

Factually? When was the last time a side like Atlanta or Toronto signed a player over 32?

LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire, DC United and a few others (usually the most original teams in the league) are the culprits, the new sides are usually the ones that go for this new, successful approach.

I'm only really having this debate because some people hugely underestimate the quality in this part of the world. The MLS is probably the 6th or 7th best league in the western hemisphere, but there is a lot of talent that would cut it in Europe. Teams like Peru, Colombia, Paraguay and even Mexico to an extent get ruled out quickly because a lot of their players don't play in Europe, but there is a ton of talent here and that Euro centrism mentality bothers me.

I can use that argument, because I've watched him. He played well in League One but couldn't step up regularly to play in the Championship. So he moved to a weaker league and is now one of the best strikers there. That's is not similar to players having to adapt to a different country and style of football, the only difference between League One and the Championship is the quality. Style of play is essentially the same.

And yes factually, it is a fact that the League brings over the hill stars in to bring in support and viewership. And I said the league in general, not each and every club...

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

I can use that argument, because I've watched him. He played well in League One but couldn't step up regularly to play in the Championship. So he moved to a weaker league and is now one of the best strikers there. That's is not similar to players having to adapt to a different country and style of football, the only difference between League One and the Championship is the quality. Style of play is essentially the same.

And yes factually, it is a fact that the League brings over the hill stars in to bring in support and viewership. And I said the league in general, not each and every club...

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the first paragraph. Although it still doesn't speak for the gap, the championship isn't mile better than the MLS, they are pretty close.

As for the second paragraph, it really isn't. Only the few clubs I've mentioned do it, its trying to get past those "retirement league" days. I'd say a good 70% of the league looks for younger players. That's not the league in general. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Blue said:

Bit disrespectful towards the Andorran league. :ph34r:

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Bit disrespectful towards the Andorran league. :ph34r:

I was going on that the MLS is professional where as Andorra they are all working part time.

Archived