talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi May Quit Argentina After World Cup

Lionel Messi says the future of his international career depends on how Argentina do at the World Cup.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner originally announced his international retirement when Argentina lost the Copa America final for the second successive year to Chile in 2016, and said criticism from media in his home country was a big factor in his decision.

Messi - who had suffered defeat in the 2014 World Cup final to Germany - changed his mind shortly after and led Argentina through a poor World Cup qualification campaign with a hat-trick in their must-win final game against Ecuador.

• This topic was pinned and unpinned
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

I guess they'll just need to find a way to win with an attack of higuain, aguero, di maria and dybala.

Yeah, they can just play those three and it’s sorted. No need for a midfield and a defence. 

• Subscriber

Must be so awesome to be asked whether you still want to play for your country before you've even stepped on the pitch in Russia. If he stops playing after the WC football doesn't stop for Argentina so I'd imagine they just have to learn to do without him. 

Does beg the question though, does the AFA have a long-term plan for their national team and if so what is it? They nearly didn't make it to the WC and a few Messi-inspired performances got them there which then allows one to make the assumption that they are a long way off from actually being competitive at the top level when required. 

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, they can just play those three and it’s sorted. No need for a midfield and a defence. 

Not saying that. But if Panama had that attack they'd be favored to advance beyond the groups. 

Regardless I see them as QF stage exits with or without Messi.

40 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Must be so awesome to be asked whether you still want to play for your country before you've even stepped on the pitch in Russia. If he stops playing after the WC football doesn't stop for Argentina so I'd imagine they just have to learn to do without him. 

Does beg the question though, does the AFA have a long-term plan for their national team and if so what is it? They nearly didn't make it to the WC and a few Messi-inspired performances got them there which then allows one to make the assumption that they are a long way off from actually being competitive at the top level when required. 

for me, argentina without messi would be better.   they rely on god-messi too much that the other players became lazy as donkeys.    Higuain, Di Maria, Aguero; these three are virtually invisible.   

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not saying that. But if Panama had that attack they'd be favored to advance beyond the groups. 

Regardless I see them as QF stage exits with or without Messi.

Argentina go into World Cups to win them though mate. 

2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

for me, argentina without messi would be better.   they rely on god-messi too much that the other players became lazy as donkeys.    Higuain, Di Maria, Aguero; these three are virtually invisible.   

If it wasn’t for him they’d be subscribing to the channel that will be showing the World Cup. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

If it wasn’t for him they’d be subscribing to the channel that will be showing the World Cup. 

Quite right about this because until he came on the scene they were struggling and they wouldn't have made the tournament. I don't think the AFA has an answer for when he goes because they have players who are supposedly good in their positions and maybe their tactics are wrong but for them to be as terrible as they were is clearly never a good sign.

My uncle told me that this has all the markings of Argentina 1986, where they were predicted to do poorly and they won the thing. I still personally don't think Argentina will go very far for their standards but he could be right, they do have the best player in the world, with a team that's just waiting to click.

5 hours ago, bozziovai said:

Argentina without Messi could barely win a game in the qualifiers, they were genuinely one of the worst sides in it. If it hadn't been for Messi's performances in games such as against Colombia, Uruguay and of course, Ecuador, then Argentina wouldn't have been going to the World Cup. Argentina without Messi were inferior to Peru, a side who may not have the "stars" on paper, but play much better as a team. It's not that those players are lazy, it's that they don't make the right choices and they don't play for the team, but for themselves, especially Di Maria and Aguero. Also they have generally always been mismanaged, apart from under Sabella, who took them through the qualifiers with ease before getting them to the World Cup final in 2014. They should have tried to keep him as he'd have likely won something with them  and he was the only one who truly got Messi and Higuain playing well together, which was a devastating duo around that period. Other than that, all their managers have been a joke. Maybe Sampaoli can change that when you consider how well he did for Chile, although even he seems to have too much controversy surrounding him at the moment, which could go against them.

I think Bozziovai's point is that Messi adds a different mentality to the squad that can have a negative impact, as well as being a power over manager type of player. I once thought the same thing but like you guys said, without Messi they would not have qualified to the World Cup.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

My uncle told me that this has all the markings of Argentina 1986, where they were predicted to do poorly and they won the thing. I still personally don't think Argentina will go very far for their standards but he could be right, they do have the best player in the world, with a team that's just waiting to click.

I think Argentina will struggle to get out of the group tbh, they have so unbalanced, their defence is shocking and so is their midfield, they will probably try to squeezer in as many attacking options as possible and try and outscore teams.   

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

I think Argentina will struggle to get out of the group tbh, they have so unbalanced, their defence is shocking and so is their midfield, they will probably try to squeezer in as many attacking options as possible and try and outscore teams.   

I do as well trust me, but im just pointing out something that could be interesting.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I think Bozziovai's point is that Messi adds a different mentality to the squad that can have a negative impact, as well as being a power over manager type of player. I once thought the same thing but like you guys said, without Messi they would not have qualified to the World Cup.

that's exactly my point.       that's why i posted that photo of a man digging a hole by himself while the others just looks on, not even helping.    coz that's the situation in Argentina at the moment -  Messi doing all the work.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Argentina without Messi could barely win a game in the qualifiers, they were genuinely one of the worst sides in it. If it hadn't been for Messi's performances in games such as against Colombia, Uruguay and of course, Ecuador, then Argentina wouldn't have been going to the World Cup. Argentina without Messi were inferior to Peru, a side who may not have the "stars" on paper, but play much better as a team. It's not that those players are lazy, it's that they don't make the right choices and they don't play for the team, but for themselves, especially Di Maria and Aguero. Also they have generally always been mismanaged, apart from under Sabella, who took them through the qualifiers with ease before getting them to the World Cup final in 2014. They should have tried to keep him as he'd have likely won something with them  and he was the only one who truly got Messi and Higuain playing well together, which was a devastating duo around that period. Other than that, all their managers have been a joke. Maybe Sampaoli can change that when you consider how well he did for Chile, although even he seems to have too much controversy surrounding him at the moment, which could go against them.

sorry for the misunderstanding, what i meant was, it's better for Messi to leave Argentina.       It's like, Messi has a girlfriend named AFA,  Messi bought her a house and car and all Messi asks of his GF is to do some simple chores in the house so that when Messi comes back from work he can just relax, but, AFA does nothing Messi asks, instead, just sits in the house, eating and watching TV.      so, the angry Messi said to himself --- fack it, ungrateful bitch, i'm gonna leave you ---

3 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

sorry for the misunderstanding, what i meant was, it's better for Messi to leave Argentina.       It's like, Messi has a girlfriend named AFA,  Messi bought her a house and car and all Messi asks of his GF is to do some simple chores in the house so that when Messi comes back from work he can just relax, but, AFA does nothing Messi asks, instead, just sits in the house, eating and watching TV.      so, the angry Messi said to himself --- fack it, ungrateful bitch, i'm gonna leave you ---

O.o

5 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

You’re implying Messi selects the players for the Argentina national side. If this is the case, then you’ve lost it mate. 

Archived