talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New York City FC

football forum

New York City FC name Domenec Torrent new head coach

New York City FC did not take long to replace Patrick Vieira, announcing the appointment of Domenec Torrent as head coach on Monday mere hours after Vieira’s departure to OGC Nice was officially confirmed.

The longtime right-hand man to Pep Guardiola, manager at NYCFC’s sibling club Manchester City, Torrent has helped Guardiola win a whopping 24 trophies over the past 11 years at FC Barcelona, FC Bayern Munich and Man City. The 55-year-old Spaniard has signed a contract with NYCFC through the 2020 season, pending completion of his US work permit.

“Though I have enjoyed a wonderful 11 years working alongside my colleague and close friend Pep Guardiola, it has always been my ambition to manage a team again and I really couldn’t have hoped for a better opportunity than at this football club,” said Torrent in an NYCFC release.

“I know we have a very talented team, I have watched many of the matches and I enjoy the way the team plays and I now can’t wait to begin working with the players on the training pitch. Though I have been fortunate enough to visit New York on numerous occasions, I am looking forward to living and coaching in this special city and meeting the fans as soon as possible. I am eager to experience and play a part in the soccer culture of New York.”

Torrent,-Guardiola.jpg?iMe2wtTWCuTBAoxxq

Torrent was born in Girona and played as a midfielder at provincial sides UE Olot and AD Guixols before moving into coaching at Palafrugell CF, Palamos CF and Girona FC. He joined up with Guardiola at Barcelona B in 2007, where the pair masterminded promotion to the Segunda Division B and earned the opportunity to take over Barcelona’s first team.

They would sculpt Barca into an all-conquering powerhouse, winning three La Liga titles, two UEFA Champions League trophies, two UEFA Super Cups, two Spanish Cups, three Spanish Super Cups and two FIFA Club World Cups – 14 trophies in all over four dominating seasons.

Their next stop was Munich, where they lifted the Bundesliga title in three straight seasons, won the German league and cup doubles in 2014 and 2016 as well as a UEFA Super Cup and a FIFA Club World Cup, seven trophies in all. Guardiola, Torrent and their staff most recently led Man City to unprecedented domination of the English Premier League, racking up 100 points in the standings en route to league and EFL Cup trophies.

“Domenec is someone we know really well and have great confidence in as both a person and as a coach. He has a very clear idea of the style of play he wants – he’s a coach who will want to play the attacking and possession style of soccer that we want to continue to build upon,” said NYCFC sporting director Claudio Reyna.

“Domenec has been part of building some of the most memorable teams in soccer. He also comes from clubs that have a philosophy of giving an opportunity to younger talent, so this will continue to give opportunities to our younger players and is exciting for our academy."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/11/new-york-city-fc-name-domenec-torrent-new-head-coach

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Archived