talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kyle Walker Wants to Play Right Back

Kyle Walker has admitted he wants to play at right-back for England, but says he is willing to play as part of a back-three for the good of the team.

The 28-year-old also believes he will be missing out on the chance to achieve his ambition of establishing himself as the best right-back in the world at this summer's World Cup.

Gareth Southgate made the decision to convert Walker into one of his three central defenders in March, and he now looks set to start there for England in Russia.

Speaking to PA Sport, Walker acknowledged the need to put the team before his personal ambitions, but said: "If you ask me where do I want to play, of course I want to play right-back.

"I've worked my whole career to prove to myself that I can be the best in the world in my position. I feel like showcasing that at the World Cup would probably get me there but it's about whatever I need to do for the team.

"If the gaffer feels me playing at right centre-half is beneficial to the team then why not? It's still a relatively new experience for me, but it's new tools in my toolbox.

"As long as I'm on the field that's the main thing. If the gaffer feels I will improve the team playing there, I'm all for that."

England begin their World Cup campaign against Tunisia on Monday, before completing Group G with games against Panama and Belgium.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived