talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ligue 1 2018/19 Match Chat

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Monaco could actually go couldn't they? They're a shambles.

I am amazed at how well Lille are doing. I know it was only a friendly but my take from our game there in August was "I'm not surprised these struggled last year".

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

Monaco could actually go couldn't they? They're a shambles.

I am amazed at how well Lille are doing. I know it was only a friendly but my take from our game there in August was "I'm not surprised these struggled last year".

I'm sure they'll improve eventually and finish around mid table. They need some players back from injury and some players brought in in January.

Lille have been my favourite team to watch this season in France. That front three of Pépé, Bamba and Ikone has been a joy to watch...and they're also solid at the back under Galtier. I hope they keep their form going, and I hope they can keep their players (it looked like Galtier was gonna be forced to sell Pépé to raise funds in the summer but he managed to keep hold of him), because I'd love to see this side in Europe next season.

• Subscriber

Just been reading this and the piece he wrote about Zlatan Ibrahimovic was quite interesting.

Tony Chapron: The French referee who saw the red mist, on that kick

12 November 2018 | European Football

_99596315_kickcapture_btsport.jpg

Chapron aimed a kick at Nantes' Diego Carlos in January

A tumble to the turf, a rush of blood, a lashing out, and a long career unravels in an instant.

Tony Chapron speaks calmly now, as he looks back on the "nightmare" moment that essentially cost him his job as a referee in the French top flight. But he still has regrets.

It all happened back in January, during a Ligue 1 fixture between Nantes and Paris St-Germain.

Kylian Mbappe was breaking clear and everyone was racing back behind him, including Chapron.

He and Nantes player Diego Carlos collided. Chapron was inadvertently knocked over.

Staggering to his feet, Chapron swung a boot at the defender.

Then he sent the defender off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46132066

Educating Zlatan

Chapron now works for French media and is free to say what he really thinks about the players he used to referee.

One story stands out.

"He is a very annoying guy, Zlatan Ibrahimovic," Chapron begins. "Not only with referees, he was always blaming his team-mates, always trying to cause some trouble with the opponents.

"He was a crazy guy. I think he's a fantastic player, but on the pitch, he's someone else. And it was very difficult as a referee.

"I hope for him that he's a kind of actor because he says so many things, crazy things, I hope he doesn't think what he says."

In 2015, Chapron was in charge when Ibrahimovic scored a hat-trick for PSG in a victory over Lorient.

After the match, the striker approached him. Chapron had the ball in his hands.

"He arrived close to me he just clicked his fingers and said; 'The ball!'" Chapron says.

"I have four daughters and when we're together and they ask something, if we don't have the word 'please' at the end of the sentence, there is no reaction.

"So, it's the same, it's a kind of education. I think it was a kind of disrespect. There is something wrong with society if we forget the simple things such as 'please' and 'thank you'.

"It was the beginning of the Ibrahimovic show because nobody says no to Zlatan. I was probably the only one."

Good game between Nice and Lille this afternoon, with Nice coming out on top thanks to goals from Cyprien and Saint-Maximin.

I've not got tonight's game on, but Amiens are in front against OM thanks to what was apparently a terrible mistake by Mandanda.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived