talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Balotelli to Marseille?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That´d be a very good fit. Germain is not the guy OM needs if they want to return to the Champions League/win the Europa League, Mitroglou is a very useful player, especially as a sub, but a good and motivated Balotelli is a top striker. A Thauvin, Payet, Balotelli attack is a pretty good attack.

Balotelli seem to have matured at Nice and I´d like to see him get another chance at a big club.

I don't think balotelli flopped at Liverpool tbh. He just wasn't  at all the type of player we needed to replace Suarez.

He's a good player and in the right attack is sure to be very effective. 

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't think balotelli flopped at Liverpool tbh. He just wasn't  at all the type of player we needed to replace Suarez.

He's a good player and in the right attack is sure to be very effective. 

That is pretty much the definition of flopping.

38 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is pretty much the definition of flopping.

Harsh to cal that a flopping though as it implies blame on the player. 

He was a poor signing only because we bought a square peg for a round hole.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 19:52, Harry said:

Harsh to cal that a flopping though as it implies blame on the player. 

He was a poor signing only because we bought a square peg for a round hole.

I mean, I think his movement was extremely poor for a top flight striker. And I'm not sure if that was just down to bad coaching from Rodgers (which is believable as fuck tbh) or if it was down to laziness or an unwillingness to work on his runs in training.

Having said that, we did try to then replace Balotelli with Benteke... which to me indicates that Rodgers didn't know what the fuck he really wanted from a striker at all. Because... Benteke and a total absence of dangerous movement up and around the box... can you name a more iconic duo?

• Administrator

Not really the sort of player we need to be honest in my opinion. Got enough prima donnas as it is in the dressing room. Of course he’ll probably start well, get annoyed and be off in January to MLS. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I said it in the Unpopular Opinions Thread but I think Balotelli's downfall ultimately guaranteed Italy to fall as well. He was class back when he was 21 and was the long term solution to Italy's 9 issue. His downfall had them left with Immobile and Belotti, both of whom aren't even close to world class forwards. 

Personally I've always found him overrated, even when he was good. However, he did decline as a player. That's not in doubt for me. He was still very good, just not the best for me.

Archived