talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philip Cocu set to become Fenerbahce's new head coach

football forum

News broke from Turkey on Thursday that Cocu was being targeted by Fenerbahce and it now seems the 47-year-old is going to take over the Turkish giants.

As soon as Cocu’s departure is confirmed, PSV will look to appoint Mark van Bommel as his successor. The 41-year-old has been a youth coach with PSV for years, while he is currently assistant to Bert van Marwijk at the World Cup with Australia.

Van Marwijk is likely to follow Van Bommel to PSV as part of his backroom staff.

Cocu has indicated to PSV that he is ready for a new challenge after five years at the club and his agent Rob Jansen is currently in Turkey to see through the final details of his deal with Fenerbahce.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SirBalon said:

Just seems he's given up by going there.  From there it's really difficult to get noticed by the big clubs as they don't know how to value you.

Yes its a strange place to go to, ok he will earn good money but the way the owners operate the clubs its not a long term project.  He would of got picked up by a bigger club for sure if he was patient. 

On 16/06/2018 at 11:15, Panna King said:

will get more money but thats about it,  Cocu really should go to England or Spain, is one of the best tactical managers out there. 

He could have gone somewhere like Sevilla and things went well, there would have been a potential job for him there at Barcelona when Valverde's time is up. He knows the club well after all.

Dutch side PSV Eindhoven have appointed Mark van Bommel as their new head coach on a three-year deal, replacing new Fenerbahce boss Phillip Cocu.

Cocu, who spent five seasons at the Dutch club, was announced as the new manager of the Turkish side on Friday morning, shortly after PSV announced he would be leaving the club.

Van Bommel is currently in Russia at the World Cup with the Australian national team as part of Bert van Marwijk's coaching staff. He will start in his new role once he returns from the tournament.

eng_4142_4730635.jpg

Our club has signed a three year contract with Dutch coach Phillip Cocu, who was working in Netherlands’s PSV Eindhoven team before.

Dutch coach Phillip Cocu will be working as our Professional Football Team Coach starting from the 2018-19 football season.

Our new Coach Phillip Cocu stated his thoughts on our website; “I must say that I am very impressed by the plans the club has for the near future. Fenerbahçe is a great club and the ideas and vision that Ali Koç and Damien Comolli both explained to me are very promising. I am proud to be part of this very important organisation. I am looking forward to work with the players and to lead the team in front of our fans at the Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium. I can’t wait to start this journey.”

After the contract was signed by Phillip Cocu our President Ali Koç stated his thoughts on our website; “Our Sporting Director Damien Comolli has had a research going on for a year within the framework of the vision and the targets that was assigned to him. Philip Cocu stood out after the research that was done. The criteria that we looked for in the coach was having an attacking and exciting playing style, ability to develop players, always putting the team first and above any individualities, the importance given to the youth setup, his leadership skills and with all this, having won 3 championships in 4 years while working in PSV. I wish Phillip all the best and success both in the interest of the Fenerbahçe community and for Turkish football.”

Phillip Cocu will begin working on 28th June Thursday in Samandıra Can Bartu Facility which is also the beginning of the pre-season preparatory camp date for our team.

Archived