talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland

football forum

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messi should have scored that penalty other day. He can take a mean penalty, but from time to time he bottles them when it matters(unless it's against Madrid, where he has a 100% conversation rate), such as against Chelsea in the Champs league, or Chile in the the Copa America shootout. The thing is, he was Argentina's best player in the first half, the only one who had any form of urgency about their game, although after missing the pen, he became very frustrating and was trying too hard to make amends, which led to him being ineffective. Score that pen, and he's going to score another goal or 2 and his, and Argentina's, performance is then seen very differently. You've got to score that.

Argentina are dire either way and I'd be surprised if they even got out of their group. Aguero scored the other day, but even he was wank. He offered nothing in his general play over 90 minutes and Di Maria was as gash as he always is.

Iceland played a big part in the result as well of course. Most teams, in fact pretty much every team in the world, are going to have problems against them with the manner in which they play in. A tall, physical side who have fantastic work ethic, play with their heart on their sleeve and have a lot of togetherness.

Croatia looked quite handy the other day, although I see something missing from them. They don't seem to have the chemistry needed to be a real top side and are quite unbalanced.

33 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Play Messi as a centre mid.

That’s the most logical answer. He can play there and be the best there... Argentina have more than enough talent up front but they don’t have midfielders. 

Seriously starting to believe that Di Maria could get away with murder. 

Ridiculous the likes of Banega, Aguero, Higuain, Pastore, Dybala, are given multiple chances to perform, and are dropped when they continue to not deliver. Di Maria is the exception, and he's been shit since 2011. 

Jesus Christ, hope that isn't true.

I for the life of me can't understand the fascination of Meza. Doesn't really offer anything and he should be replaced with either Pavon or Perrotti. 

That might be the worst expirmintation lineup I've seen thus far. 

I hope Croatia wins with Lovren getting on the scoresheet. Looking at that potential lineup for Argentina, I think Croatia has enough about them to get a win. Also @Stan and I will be watching our Nigerian brothers hoping they put in a better performance than their first match and manage to get passed Iceland. Iceland are a tough side though.

Despite being completely shite, I still think Argentina will win today albeit very narrowly. I just can't see them struggling in the same way offensively here as they did vs Iceland. Croatia will chase the game more and I think will be a fun time for Messi and Aguero.

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Marc said:

Messi ran 7.61km against Argentina less than any other player to complete 90 minutes in the World Cup so far O.o

running against your own team is an impressive feat tbf

Messi is also always the one that has the least amount of kilometres covered for Barcelona. And still maintains himself as the protagonist in goals, assists and link-up play. Extraordinary really.

They say in the holy books that God is everywhere but yet you never see him travelling to his destination to do his good work. 

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Meza :$ don't understand the criticism towards him. 

Will Messi finally step up? :D

Because he doesn't offer anything, especially in the final third. Don't understand Sampaoli's obsession with him, when in fact either Pavon or Perotti, two players who are actually threatening in the box, can provide some form of threat. Reminds me of when Pep started to field Fabregas alongside Xavi, Iniesta, and Busquets, when in fact playing Villa or Sanchez would provide more of a threat in front of goal. 

Also makes no sense that Argentina's best and most promissing midfielder in Lo Celso is continued to be benched. 

Just praying that isn't the lineup. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Yup. Its exactly this. 

Ridiculous. 

I don´t understand how Lo Celso fell so much in the pecking order. He started the Haiti match and now he s the third option in the midfield, despite being their most talented midfielder, along with Banega. 

5 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I don´t understand how Lo Celso fell so much in the pecking order. He started the Haiti match and now he s the third option in the midfield, despite being their most talented midfielder, along with Banega. 

Is Meza the next Riquelme? Or am I seriosuly missing something? What the actual fuck does he provide? 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Is Meza the next Riquelme? Or am I seriosuly missing something? What the actual fuck does he provide? 

My guess is that Sampaoli thinks the croatian midfield could dominate the match without the presence of physical presence of Meza, who´ll have to track back. 

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Messi is also always the one that has the least amount of kilometres covered for Barcelona. And still maintains himself as the protagonist in goals, assists and link-up play. Extraordinary really.

They say in the holy books that God is everywhere but yet you never see him travelling to his destination to do his good work. 

Because God has Angels to do work on his part just as Messi has Angèl Di Maria :ph34r:

20 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Rumored starting XI for Argentina tomorrow: 

DgKbufCW0AIzG3P.jpg:large

how good are taliafico, perez, acuna and meza?

I dont watch other leagues than prem, spanish and some big matches in german and italian leagues so Im unaware of these players much.

Does Argentina stand a chance with these players today against Croatia?

• The title was changed to Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived