talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland

football forum

So now there's a strong likelihood that if Portugal finish second in their group then one of Uruguay/Russia, Portugal, Croatia & Denmark will be in the semi finals. That's your dark horse sorted. Expecting Portugal and Iran to have zero shots on target in their game now.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People saying how Argentina doesn't deserve Messi? They would have three points if that cunt could convert penalties. They would need a point against Nigeria to advance. Overall they were terrible, big big names but as a team in that awkward system they will be very very lucky to make it to the knock out stages and they will probably be eliminated there too.

Sorry for my buddy Berserker, even Bosnia isn't that shit.

• Subscriber

Watched the game last night and figured there'd be a huge meltdown in here but the fact really is that you can't blame any kind of loss on a single player in these instances. This Argentina team doesn't know which way is up and that hasn't started today, it started way before they needed their big win against Ecuador to get here. For anyone to imagine that they'd suddenly wake up and start to play to their potential is really just fan/national blindness and that's what has happened here. I feel bad for any fan that has to watch their country go through this but the fact remains that all of this was there for anyone to see during qualifiers and it has prominently made its way into these group stages.

Croatia didn't need to score two more goals in all honesty because they could have played the way they were all night long and Argentina wouldn't be any closer to getting a goal as when they started. It's a shame Sampaoli hasn't learned from all the mistakes in team selections that have led up to this point because his team got overrun today but a much smarter unit of players who understand their positions far better than their opponents ever did.

1 hour ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Obviously it's a Barca paper, so extremely biased but it doesn't help. This obsession with one player, how a team should 'play for him' is ridiculous, it's a team and he is one player in it. They need to get back to basics and find the style which works best for the team, not just Messi. 

5 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm not surprised in the slightest that Croatia won as they are, quite simply, a comfortably better side than Argentina in just about every department.

I only saw the second half but it was hilarious. Argentina are, yet again, unbelievably disorganised for a supposed top side. Messi's extremely unlucky in my eyes. Just look at the state of that side now. People banging on about their attacking options but where are they? Sampaoli is an absolute fraud. Dybala not ever starting, Icardi not in the squad, bang average players throughout their side. That people hold it against Messi for not carrying this side which for me is no better than Peru without him to winning a World Cup is laughable.

Croatia excellent. They've been the best side in the tournament for me so far. They're strong in every position and I think they'll go far. 

How’s Messi extremely unlucky? He’s part of the massively shit show that is Argentina right now and is just as culpable as all the other players. It’s laughable because everyone defending him uses the ‘one man team, he can’t carry them’ line. Then go on and excuse that one man from any blame, even though he’s the best player on the planet yet can’t seem to get into a game or insert any authority. Seems to be a case of if they win, it’s because of Messi and if they lose, it’s because the other 10 players are shite. Makes zero sense to me. To many people want to have their cake and eat it when it comes to Messi and Argentina.

I rewatched last night and felt sorry for Aguero more than anyone. He made some classy runs and his movement was great, but almost never got the ball into his feet. He could have down slightly better with the one chance he had turning the defender on his left.

9 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Messi fan over Ronaldo but....

When Portugal were in the shit and needed inspiration, Ronaldo was there.

When Argentina were in the shit and needed inspiration, Messi went missing. 

I think I know who id want in my team when the chips were down...

I think that if we look throughout the playing history of both Cristiano Ronaldo for Portugal and Lionel Messi for Argentina we will see many moments where they were both the talisman for their national team’s success in any given game and also with both we will easily find games where both were ineffective.

What we have here is the typical virus all of us football fans suffer from which is connected to the here and now only being of any value and subjected to scrutiny and analysis. 

What’s for sure is that Messi has a lot more responsibility in his overall game for Argentina and where he is required to bring out his best than by comparison with Cristiano Ronaldo who sits on the shoulder of the opposing defenders and waits for his moment to pounce because he has turned into the best striker in the history of the game. 

It’s all about how you tell the same story (the only story) to someone else that hasn’t experienced it ot suffers from the same virus connected to Alzheimer. 

It’s the 2018 World Cup mate. We’re not going to have a wank about how Messi once played great against Bolivia in the Copa America 3 years ago. We don’t defend players based on domestic form or records at international level, especially during a World Cup. Nobody is saying he’s a terrible player or that this should define his career. 

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It’s the 2018 World Cup mate. We’re not going to have a wank about how Messi once played great against Bolivia in the Copa America 3 years ago. We don’t defend players based on domestic form or records at international level, especially during a World Cup. Nobody is saying he’s a terrible player or that this should define his career. 

My best wanks have always been remembering past moments mate. I’m married now which in no uncertain terms means retirement. :S

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

@Danny kind of did saying this would tarnish his legacy and that the legacy is unravelling xD 

OPEN NOTE TO FORUM - DON'T BE LIKE DANNY. 

8 hours ago, Toinho said:

Woke up and saw the result wow! Can someone briefly summarize ?

GoalKeeper for Argentina did a  KARIUS for the first goal.   Modric rocket for the second.    Deflated Argentina for the third.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Let's not forget he missed the pen which could have seen Argentina in a lot more comfortable position right now. So he bears as much responsibility as anyone.

A captain for the national team and he has failed terribly at his job.     Where is his godly form that we are adapted to see with barcelona ??   where is this so called "inspiration" that he always give to a game ???    We can't blame people saying that he is only good in the environment in barcelona.  I've read it here some of our friends saying that "plays start from messi, he initiates everything"    But where is Messi last night ??  or even against iceland ??  Some players get angry as fuck when they're not called by their national team during this world cup ( morata an example ) while messi is taking for granted his role as leader.

Messi is the G.O.A.T.    ONLY as a Barcelona player but not the best in all aspects.    Zidane is miles ahead of him in all aspects, especially being a leader.

This World Cup will be an opposite of last World Cup where Ronaldo had a horrible tournament wen't out in the group stages while Messi and co reached the finals this time it will be Ronaldo and co to reach the final while Messi announce's his retirement afer losing to Nigeria.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

How’s Messi extremely unlucky? He’s part of the massively shit show that is Argentina right now and is just as culpable as all the other players. It’s laughable because everyone defending him uses the ‘one man team, he can’t carry them’ line. Then go on and excuse that one man from any blame, even though he’s the best player on the planet yet can’t seem to get into a game or insert any authority. Seems to be a case of if they win, it’s because of Messi and if they lose, it’s because the other 10 players are shite. Makes zero sense to me. To many people want to have their cake and eat it when it comes to Messi and Argentina.

Because this Argentina side IS shite. He has been poor as well, there is no doubting that he has had a pretty shoddy opening two games, but Argentina are horrible. Look at the state of that defence. Absolutely awful.

Their entire system is bollocks. They almost actively encourage their opposition to double or treble up on Messi. Look at the positions Messi is collecting the ball against Iceland. It's ridiculous.

My defence of Messi is more due to Ronaldo fanboys who think this two games defines them both when in the very last World Cup, Messi made the final (largely due to goals from him, as well as in fairness a more organised defence), in the Copa America, they lost on penalties (he scored his) yet Ronaldo, who's Portugal side aren't yet through, who didn't get through their last group in the World Cup, who won the Euros final without him on the pitch for nearly all of it, is being revered. I'm not knocking Ronaldo but there's far too much one rule for one and one for another where the two are involved.

Messi didn't turn up last night but lets not pretend them losing 0-3 is on him entirely. Croatia battered them in midfield and tore their mediocre at best defence a new one.

• The title was changed to Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived