talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland

football forum

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

A. You said you'd be shocked if Portugal wouldn't get a result against Iran. - Initial Premise 

B. I  stated It wouldn't be a shock, given they almost beat Spain and the only goal they conceded was because of an unfortuante goal.  - Counter Argument 

C. You reply that Iran got lucky against the likes of Morocco and only needed a late own goal to beat them 

D. You conveniently didn't bring up the fact that Portugal got lucky against Morocco too, and needed a moment of Brilliance from Ronaldo 

Kinda looks like an appeal to motive to me :what:

And no, Iran beating Portugal wouldn't be surprising if you've seriously have analysed this whole Group. 

I appreciate you going back and looking at it, but my point remains, that it would shock 99% of the world if Portugal were to lose to Iran. Portugal are one of the best teams in the world, who are the defending Euro Champs, finished 3rd in the Confed Cup, and have a player who like him or not, has a rightful reputation of scoring big time goals, and a lot of them. To me, the numbers just don't add up to Iran taking 3 points from this game. 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I appreciate you going back and looking at it, but my point remains, that it would shock 99% of the world if Portugal were to lose to Iran. Portugal are one of the best teams in the world, who are the defending Euro Champs, finished 3rd in the Confed Cup, and have a player who like him or not, has a rightful reputation of scoring big time goals, and a lot of them. To me, the numbers just don't add up to Iran taking 3 points from this game. 

Iran's only ever won 2 World Cup games too.

• The title was changed to Group D Matchday 2 - 21/22 June - Argentina 0-3 Croatia, Nigeria 2-0 Iceland

This Iceland team is far less exciting and lacking in end product compared to the one in Euro 2016. Can't see them beating Croatia.

So the only question that remains is whether or not Argentina can beat Nigeria. Goal difference doesn't matter anymore. Must win for Argentina if they want to face France/Denmark in the next round. Must see TV.

All we really learned about the first round of fixtures from this group was what we initially expected on the whole. Iceland were going to be combative, Croatia didn't play as well as a unit as they could, Argentina are overly reliant on Messi, and Nigeria were not as good as there kit.

With that all in mind. It set up what looked like one of the most interesting games in the second round - Croatia Vs. Argentina. Here, we had a real contest of teams that @Danny would manage on FM and consistently lose with. One team have wonderful midfielders but struggle to get a consistent rhythem, whilst the other have an even more awe-inspiring leading line and can't seem to get anything. The first half led me to believe that this game was going nowhere, but after the first goal Croatia really played to their full potential. I was very impressed with Rakitic and Modric in midfield. If they played like they did in the last 15 minutes all the time, they would get very far in this tournament.

As for the Nigeria / Iceland game - what a fantastic performance that was from Ahmed Musa. He looked quick, skillfull, direct.... every bit of the player Leicester City expected they had signed. They really surprised me Nigeria. Whilst some of the better nations are yet to join the party, teams like Nigeria, Russia and Japan have added to the spectacle greatly.

That all said, Nigeria's World Cup record against Argentina is terrible. Even in their current unorganized state, Argentina's record against Nigeria should give them comfort. No doubt if they do win, Lionel Messi will (rightly or wrongly) be given all the credit.

At the same time though - Croatia very rarely have maintained high performance levels. I think the last time they did must have been 2008. They are already through, and Iceland need to win. You would expect Iceland to be more resolute and efficient against an opposition they know well. With goal difference on their side against Argentina, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Iceland go through.

19 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

This Iceland team is far less exciting and lacking in end product compared to the one in Euro 2016. Can't see them beating Croatia.

So the only question that remains is whether or not Argentina can beat Nigeria. Goal difference doesn't matter anymore. Must win for Argentina if they want to face France/Denmark in the next round. Must see TV.

Croatia have no reason to field their strongest line up.

41 minutes ago, Eco said:

Again, you say the numbers just don't add up yet fail to counter my criticism? Why is it Ok for Portugal to get lucky against Morocco, but not Iran?

As for finding it 'shocking', It be a fair argument to say that 'I feel that Portugal will win because  they will grow into the tournament, as they have done in the past' vs merely posting consecutive arguments that just shows your reasoning is merely behind a motive or bias. 

That was a great match between Nigeria and Iceland, only watched the second half but Nigeria were brilliant. Musa's goal was one of the best of this tournament so far, that first touch, that run to escape away from the defender and then the composure to not rush the shot. Awesome.

14 hours ago, Stan said:

@Danny kind of did saying this would tarnish his legacy and that the legacy is unravelling xD 

OPEN NOTE TO FORUM - DON'T BE LIKE DANNY. 

I said unravelling a bit...though international results will always effect someone's legacy...

Rightly or wrongly Cruyff is seen on the tier below Maradona and Pele. It's all this GOAT bollocks, one of the most irritating social media fads of recent times, which increases all this hype. Messi didn't help himself with those silly photos either. He'll go down as one of the greatest ever, let's face it it's impossible to say who is 'the best eva!!!' and for me he's the most talented I've seen but there isn't going to be the complete fairytale.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

1 World Cup Final and 2 Copa América Finals with Messi in the team.

Where would international football situate Johan Cruyff’s legacy?

Johan Cruff is more known for his personality and his philosiphoy on the game ? Isn't it

• The topic was unpinned

Archived