talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What is the difference? PSG & Man City

football forum

18 hours ago, Eco said:

The Benezema one I'm guessing you are referring to? 

I think it's fair to say that you have a rival with France as a country, and so it might be easier for the English to have massive amounts of hatred towards a French club for something when there is one in North England doing the same thing.  Just a massive generalization on my part, though. 

You can't really compare PSG and Man City in terms of history, City have a bigger history and before they were taken over were generally a lot of peoples "second team" because of their relationship to United, though City get the same feedback nowadays. Chelsea get exactly the same treatment as PSG do but still had history to them whereas PSG did not really.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PSG is much more dislikable. It has nothing to do with whether people like or don’t like French football but French football is the victim of Paris Saint-Germain for sure.  All that talk that the players they (PSG) attract help the Ligue1 product is absolute rubbish becaue PSG is not Ligue1 and Ligue1 is not PSG. 

Also adding to the fact that with Paris Saint-Germain it’s more blatant observing how the job is to legitimise Gulf society amongst other eerie stuff and it’s a lot easier to see that PSG is funded by a state than with their sister Man City.

Man City is a beneficiary victim of association but City have history and a foundation of legitimacy. 

It's possibly softer in England because the top spots are cemented by clubs who got lucky with the timing of their genueine success. As in they just happened to be at the top when money disbalances dramatically got out of hand. It could have been anyone but the devil chose them.

10 hours ago, SirBalon said:

PSG is much more dislikable. It has nothing to do with whether people like or don’t like French football but French football is the victim of Paris Saint-Germain for sure.  All that talk that the players they (PSG) attract help the Ligue1 product is absolute rubbish becaue PSG is not Ligue1 and Ligue1 is not PSG. 

Also adding to the fact that with Paris Saint-Germain it’s more blatant observing how the job is to legitimise Gulf society amongst other eerie stuff and it’s a lot easier to see that PSG is funded by a state than with their sister Man City.

Man City is a beneficiary victim of association but City have history and a foundation of legitimacy. 

But PSG fans would never agree with that. Their history may be short, but they have a history. Their mid 90s teams were very strong, even beating Barcelona in the Champions League and making it to the semi-final. They´ve also won the UEFA Cup Winner´s Cup. 

Not recognizing that they had strong teams and idols in the 90s is exactly why Ibrahimovic is not considered an idol by PSG fans. They´ve always found some of his quotes disrespectful towards the club. 

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

But PSG fans would never agree with that. Their history may be short, but they have a history. Their mid 90s teams were very strong, even beating Barcelona in the Champions League and making it to the semi-final. They´ve also won the UEFA Cup Winner´s Cup. 

Not recognizing that they had strong teams and idols in the 90s is exactly why Ibrahimovic is not considered an idol by PSG fans. They´ve always found some of his quotes disrespectful towards the club. 

I agree... But French football was different then. The amount of French clubs that were strong then gave credence to PSG’s existence and participation.

Paris has never been a footballing city which is probably why it took so long for them to have a football club. Don’t you find it curious that they’re so hated amongst other French fans in other parts of the country?

The normal argument to that last bit would be to say that it’s based on jealousy and envy but their hatred goes all the way back to the days you just mentioned.

Luis Fernández is one of their legends and he has a weekly scoop on José Ramón de la Morena’s ‘El Larguero’ radio show and he mentions this quite often and some very untoward things that used to happen in the day when they travelled away. The Gulf Arab ownership has only worked to accentuate the whole thing. They are seen as a rancid club mate and you should know this as you are very interested in French football. 

Infact listenting to Luis Fernández is always an enlightening experience.

@Batard I’m sure can add plenty more in depth stuff than me on the general sentiments surrounding PSG in France.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I agree... But French football was different then. The amount of French clubs that were strong then gave credence to PSG’s existence and participation.

Paris has never been a footballing city which is probably why it took so long for them to have a football club. Don’t you find it curious that they’re so hated amongst other French fans in other parts of the country?

The normal argument to that last bit would be to say that it’s based on jealousy and envy but their hatred goes all the way back to the days you just mentioned.

Luis Fernández is one of their legends and he has a weekly scoop on José Ramón de la Morena’s ‘El Larguero’ radio show and he mentions this quite often and some very untoward things that used to happen in the day when they travelled away. The Gulf Arab ownership has only worked to accentuate the whole thing. They are seen as a rancid club mate and you should know this as you are very interested in French football. 

Infact listenting to Luis Fernández is always an enlightening experience.

@Batard I’m sure can add plenty more in depth stuff than me on the general sentiments surrounding PSG in France.

Don’t get me started 

On 7/3/2018 at 06:30, Eco said:

The Benezema one I'm guessing you are referring to? 

I think it's fair to say that you have a rival with France as a country, and so it might be easier for the English to have massive amounts of hatred towards a French club for something when there is one in North England doing the same thing.  Just a massive generalization on my part, though. 

Jesus wept if you equate Lyon to 'the Benzema' one. xD Lyon had a very, very good team for about eight years, benzema was only around for the tail end of those years. Juninho, Gouvou, Chris, Malouda, Essien, Coupet, Reveilleire, Fred, Kallstrom, and not only that but they've had a very notable academy this past decade

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

Jesus wept if you equate Lyon to 'the Benzema' one. xD Lyon had a very, very good team for about eight years, benzema was only around for the tail end of those years. Juninho, Gouvou, Chris, Malouda, Essien, Coupet, Reveilleire, Fred, Kallstrom, and not only that but they've had a very notable academy this past decade

Juninho Pernambucano was a brilliant player and very very underrated. 

6 hours ago, Spike said:

No - but I remember him in particular because I use to rule the world in FIFA with him and Juninho. I don't think they had much history before that run though. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

No - but I remember him in particular because I use to rule the world in FIFA with him and Juninho. I don't think they had much history before that run though. 

In the 60s and 70s they had Chiesa, Di Nallo, Lacombe, Academy players all scored 100+goals and capped for France. History =\ success. If that were true the Cubs and Sox would have nearly no history.

They also play in two of the premier rivalries in France, Etienne and Marseille.

14 hours ago, Spike said:

In the 60s and 70s they had Chiesa, Di Nallo, Lacombe, Academy players all scored 100+goals and capped for France. History =\ success. If that were true the Cubs and Sox would have nearly no history.

They also play in two of the premier rivalries in France, Etienne and Marseille.

To be fair, knowing the history of this great sport I love, is still new to me. I didn't grow up with this in the news, and there was no internet. My first passion for this sport came while in Milan at an Inter match, which was probably back in 2003 or so. I joined this forum TO learn more. So while I feel like I have a good grasp on the histories of the English and Italian leagues, I'm still learning about the French, Spanish, and German. 

Juninho and his free kicks, along with FIFA on Xbox were my first experiences with the French League. 

25 minutes ago, Eco said:

To be fair, knowing the history of this great sport I love, is still new to me. I didn't grow up with this in the news, and there was no internet. My first passion for this sport came while in Milan at an Inter match, which was probably back in 2003 or so. I joined this forum TO learn more. So while I feel like I have a good grasp on the histories of the English and Italian leagues, I'm still learning about the French, Spanish, and German. 

Juninho and his free kicks, along with FIFA on Xbox were my first experiences with the French League. 

That was a mistake :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

That was a mistake :ph34r:

Yeah - That was a mistake. 

I joined the forum because as a kid growing up in Atlanta and then Alabama, no one gave two shits about 'soccer' and couldn't discuss anything outside of Manchester United is a team in England. 

Everything here in football (american), baseball, and basketball, which I enjoy, but I had no one discuss this sport with until I joined this place 10-15 years ago. 

Archived