talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England’s midfield vs Panama

Who would you play?

I thought barring Jordan Henderson, who had a good game for me, there’s a case for dropping the other starting midfielders from last night’s Tunisia game. 

Dele Alli looked injured and that looked to effect his game, Jesse Lingard couldn’t finish his dinner and Raheem Sterling showed flashes but was rightfully pulled. Ruben Loftus-Cheek come on and looked a handful too. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Henderson played well yesterday which I was pleased with. 

I like Loftus-Cheek too. Made a difference when he came on. Gave us a bit more energy and impetus going forward. 

I've got a feeling Southgate will rotate a lot though to save the likes of Henderson, Alli, Lingard for Belgium. 

So Dier and Loftus-Cheek will probably start against Panama. 

I don't think Henderson gets dropped, I'd like to see Dier get a go though.

Can't make too many changes at once. I'd go with Loftus-Cheek in for Alli, Rashford in for Lingard and have Sterling drift around midfield and Rashford obviously around the goal. 

The easiest game in the group (in the World Cup) is always best to have it as your final group game due to you wanting to give continuity in the first two and not do major changes for the second game...  If I were Southgate, I wouldn't change a thing!  Surely so many chances can't be squandered as in last night's game against Tunisia.

England are the only side in the World Cup that genuinely play a natural wide game to generate danger via that method.  All other sides from decent upwards prefer to play through the middle or mix it.  So refining and sharpening finishing skills should be made a priority against Panamá.

Personally, last night I’d have gone a bit more direct and thrown Jamie Vardy on instead of Marcus Rashford and I’d be tempted to start Vardy against Panama as they looked an aggressive, physical side against Belgium yesterday and I think Vardy would be suited better to that kind of game than Rashford, IMO. 

Henderson’s nailed on to start for me and I’d probably start Loftus-Cheek and I’d probably leave Jesse Lingard in there too tbh. 

I like Sterling and I’m not demonising him, like I’m sure The Sun have/will, but I’d keep him for the Belgium game. 

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The easiest game in the group (in the World Cup) is always best to have it as your final group game due to you wanting to give continuity in the first two and not do major changes for the second game...  If I were Southgate, I wouldn't change a thing!  Surely so many chances can't be squandered as in last night's game against Tunisia.

England are the only side in the World Cup that genuinely play a natural wide game peregrine to generate danger via that method.  All other sides from decent upwards prefer to play through the middle or mix it.  So refining and sharpening finishing skills should be made a priority against Panamá.

I agree with you when you talk about width, which is why I'd like to see Delph if anyone come into the side as we need a left footed left back.

• Subscriber

Got to try Rose in there for Young for me too - thought Young was probably our weakest player over all, and his natural tendency to cut back on to his right was detrimental

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Storts said:

Got to try Rose in there for Young for me too - thought Young was probably our weakest player over all, and his natural tendency to cut back on to his right was detrimental

I said before the game that our lack of left footers in the team was a concern. In-fact we didn't start a single outfielder who was left footed. It makes things that bit more predictable for the opposition to play against.

I liked Young in the friendlies but he was poor yesterday. Rose in for him and then Loftus-Cheek in for probably Alli if he does have a knock. Same team otherwise.

The only change i'd be tempted with is Rose for Young, but I would play the exact same team. Sterling and Lingaard were wasteful, but lets build up their confidence and give them a chance against hopless Panama. Knives have been our for Sterling early doors but he's had a great season, likewise Ali. Ali had a poor game but he's still 10x the player Reuben Loftus-Cheek is.

Fucking lol at happy blues team

3 hours ago, Storts said:

Agree with that, especially with playing 3 at the back it's so important for the wing-backs to retain width. 

The only other thing I'm not totally sold on is Alli and Lingard, I think they are too similar. Wouldn't mind Rashford starting over one of them for a bit more directness.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah Young wasn't great last night, would give Rose a go against Panama. Give Alli a rest if he has a knock, otherwise Lingard and replace with Loftus-Cheek.

I'd do this, but regardless of whether Delle Alli has a knock or not I'd probably have either him or Sterling out for Loftus-Cheek. He looked very good when he came on, and it didn't seem like England had just a 1 man midfield after he came on.

9 hours ago, Storts said:

I forgot Rose was selected 😂

Archived