talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Joker - Joaquin Phoenix

football forum

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-scorsese-film-ben-affleck-batman-cast-a8398206.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Joaquin Phoenix to play The Joker in Scorsese produced film, Ben Affleck might not return as Batman

Remember, months ago, there were rumblings of a Joaquin Phoenix-starring Joker movie, producer by Martin Scorsese? Well, those reports have been proven true, the origins story filming later this year and the budget placed at $55 million.

The confirmation from The Hollywood Reporter comes following the departure of executive Geoff Johns and president Diane Nelson from DC Entertainment.

Walter Hamada – who previously produced The Conjuring series, Lights Out, and It – has since taken over, sources describing the studio as a “shitshow” which has needed a thorough cleaning. 

The report details how Hamada currently hopes to save Warner Bros. superhero studio following the disappointing Justice League.

First, there’s Aquaman, the only DC movie coming this year, helmed by horror director James Wan. Then there’s Shazam! and Wonder Woman 1984, both of which were announced before Hamada took over.

Following those releases, the schedule remains bare: Hamada apparently dislikes the idea of announcing movies way before their initial release, a strategy that has proven bad for almost everyone except Marvel. However, thanks to the report, we still know what DC are planning behind closed doors.

Presently, Hamada is looking at two Joker movies, the first with Phoenix, directed by The Hangover trilogy’s Todd Phillips and unrelated to the previously released DC movies, under a different banner such as “DC Dark” or “DC Black.” There’s also a Jared Leto-based Joker movie being worked on, Leto having played the character in Suicide Squad, although there’s no more information on that title.

Finally an actor I trust to play the Joker right again after Heath Ledger. Hopefully this will scrap all plans about Leto playing his ridiculous version of the joker. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Leto himself refuses to watch Suicide Squad as they cut out 90% of his scenes and according to him, dramatically changed the character.

i'm sorry but he looks like a trying-hard actor in that film.   he's confused on what to do, whether to copy heath's joker or make something of his own and it turns out to be a half-baked joker.    

his change of voice tone is a clear copy of heath's.      bad acting, really.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've not seen it so can't comment, Leto was class in Dallas Buyers Club but I haven't seen him in much else, SS didn't appeal to me at all from the start.

here's some.     go to minute 2:40.    He looks like he carbon copied heath's joker in that scene where he was caught and put in an interrogation room with batman - the YOU COMPLETE ME Scene.

Everyone was comparing Heath's Joker to Leto's even tough the later one is a futuristic one and didn't appeal to many viewers. Heath had the better joker and done a better job, but in my opinion Leto wasn't as terrible as people suggest plus his screen time was minimal for a character that important.

Joaquin Phoenix is great in everything he does. 

Jesus, just saw that clip with Leto's joker. That is cringy. He's a capable actor, but definitely not in that role. He's also an arrogant douche bag in real life apparently :ph34r: Don't ban me @Stan.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Joaquin Phoenix is great in everything he does. 

Jesus, just saw that clip with Leto's joker. That is cringy. He's a capable actor, but definitely not in that role. He's also an arrogant douche bag in real life apparently :ph34r: Don't ban me @Stan.

haha, I agree. I've heard the same. He's not everyone's cup of tea. 

Regarding his acting, he was quality in Requiem for a Dream. That's all anyone needs of Leto's film biography. I think he was in Lord of War as well but I've not seen it in years so can't remember if he was good or bad. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Joaquin Phoenix to play The Joker in Scorsese-Produced Film

All I think of when I see Joaquin Phoenix is; A) Emperor Commodus, and B) River Phoenix dying in front him and his sister at Johnny Depp's night club while Johnny Depp played on stage with Flea, Al Jourgensen, and the guy from the Butthole Surfers.

47 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not into superhero stuff but I'll watch this.

This movie looks like it could work without even being connected to the DC Universe or the Joker. Just a movie about a man with a mental illness. I like that he has "The worst part about having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't." scribbled in his notebook. I think it's going to be a great watch! 

Archived