talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Joker - Joaquin Phoenix

football forum

7 hours ago, Cicero said:

Adaptation will be based off The Killing Joke, no?

If so, take my money now. 

Loosely based, I guess. Batman plays a major role in the Killing Joke, no? Looks like Batman doesn't even exist in that movie. See that kid towards the end of the trailer? I'm pretty sure that's Bruce Wayne. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Loosely based, I guess. Batman plays a major role in the Killing Joke, no? Looks like Batman doesn't even exist in that movie. See that kid towards the end of the trailer? I'm pretty sure that's Bruce Wayne. 

A plus is that it looks like they are taking away the 'comic book' or fictional elements, such as falling into a chemical bath as part of his transition. The psychological journey of a beaten man where events slowly drive himself mad. A more real take on The Joker compared to Ledger's. (Although undeniably brilliant).

He did say it best, "Madness is like gravity, all it needs is a little push."

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

A plus is that it looks like they are taking away the 'comic book' or fictional elements, such as falling into a chemical bath as part of his transition. The psychological journey of a beaten man where events slowly drive himself mad. A more real take on The Joker compared to Ledger's. (Although undeniably brilliant).

He did say it best, "Madness is like gravity, all it needs is a little push."

Yup, as I said, even if it wasn't based on a comic book it would probably still be a good story about a man slowly going from depression to psychosis. The fact that this is about the Joker makes it even more brilliant. It's not too comic-bookish. Like, I am really fatigued of superhero movies. I haven't seen a Marvel movie in 5-6 years. They just throw them out and push them into your face soooo much. 

And hopefully everyone will forget about Jared Leto's joker. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yup, as I said, even if it wasn't based on a comic book it would probably still be a good story about a man slowly going from depression to psychosis. The fact that this is about the Joker makes it even more brilliant. It's not too comic-bookish. Like, I am really fatigued of superhero movies. I haven't seen a Marvel movie in 5-6 years. They just throw them out and push them into your face soooo much. 

And hopefully everyone will forget about Jared Leto's joker. 

He's got a new one coming out as well xD

Fairly certain Joaquin's portrayal will put his to shame even more. 

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Fairly certain Joaquin's portrayal will put his to shame even more. 

Definitely. And I know Heath Ledger was so brilliant, and he'll forever be remembered for his portrayal of the Joker among other things, but I think Joaquin's version is going to give him a run for his money. I mean Joaquin Phoenix makes a living out of playing mentally deranged characters :4_joy:

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 20/06/2018 at 07:22, Stan said:

haha, I agree. I've heard the same. He's not everyone's cup of tea. 

Regarding his acting, he was quality in Requiem for a Dream. That's all anyone needs of Leto's film biography. I think he was in Lord of War as well but I've not seen it in years so can't remember if he was good or bad. 

Let me reply to this a year later mmkay. Lord of War is one of my favourite films, Im also a Jared Leto fan/Thirty Seconds to Mars fan (the old stuff anyways) He was good in the supporting role (played Nic Cage's brother) and was great as his character started to go downhill, not too disimilar to that in Requiem for a Dream. 

Anyways I havent really watched any of the marvel/DC crap as theres just way too much to go through but this is actually a film im interested in seeing as it doesnt need to have a connection to that world. At least the previews seem like it could just be a standalone movie worth watching. Joaquin Phoenix is a phenomenal actor and hopefully this does him justice. 

Jared Leto used to be a really good actor, but now all he does seem is full of himself. 

Anyway, the trailer looks great and really dark. Joaquin Phoenix is one of the most talented actors working at the moment, so I'm glad they trusted him with the role. What I have seen so far, he nailed it. 

Haven't been this excited for a movie in a long time, and I'm glad it only gets positive reviews and what was it? 6 minutes applause from the crowd at Cannes, and they won the Golden Lion at the same festival. 

Also I didn't know that there is a German actress in it. Zazie Beetz? Apparently everyone knows her, but I don't so far. She's gorgeous though :x

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Watched this tonight. As expected, an outstanding performance by Joaquin Phoenix but other than that...meh. I thought that it was way too one-dimensional, too heavy handed and lacked nuances to be seen as a great character study of a mentally ill person in a hostile society that the movie tried to be. 

Saw it last night, and I don't know, maybe I hyped myself up too much. It was ok, Joaquin was certainly extraordinary, but I don't know.... I need to re-watch it. It had some amazing scenes though. But now I can see all those basement dwelling dweebs saying "omg, this is sooo me". 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Saw it last night, and I don't know, maybe I hyped myself up too much. It was ok, Joaquin was certainly extraordinary, but I don't know.... I need to re-watch it. It had some amazing scenes though. But now I can see all those basement dwelling dweebs saying "omg, this is sooo me". 

Pretty much my thoughts. Felt underwhelming and lacking in nuances somehow, didn't it? I definitely didn't hype myself up as I don't even like the whole Batman universe stuff and I only watched it because of Joaquin Phoenix and because I wanted to know what's the hype all about.

Archived