talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2018/19 Europa League Qualifying Rounds

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offence to Burnley but I'd much rather European football was there for big fan bases with proper attendances who appreciate the romance of it.

Even for the Europa league, it'd be ridiculous for there to be European games in a 20,000 seat stadium where only 10,000 people can be arsed to turn up.

• Subscriber

What a waste of time for Burnley. Bunch of qualifying games and not even into the group stage to play some real teams. 

The way the qualifying process dovetails with the English season really is a nightmare. Many of the other teams that have to go through three phases of qualifying don't have it too bad as they play in leagues that they either dominate (e.g. BATE Borisov, Celtic, Qarabag) or at least are within a few elite teams in their league (e.g. Hajduk Split, Olympiakos, Apollon Limassol).

It's actually really tough for teams like Burnley, Southampton, Everton last season if you come in on that 7th spot and have to play an extra six matches compared to the teams that finish 6th or 5th, then you get a tough route through if you have a bad European coefficient, and being based all the way on one end of Europe means that you could have one of the biggest travels possible. The Premier League is a physical league as well, especially at the start of the season. It's a perfect storm.

20 minutes ago, Inverted said:

No offence to Burnley but I'd much rather European football was there for big fan bases with proper attendances who appreciate the romance of it.

Even for the Europa league, it'd be ridiculous for there to be European games in a 20,000 seat stadium where only 10,000 people can be arsed to turn up.

I hear what you are saying @Inverted Empty seats was a topic in our house while we watched the game. It was as thou the Burnley faithful had already decided their fate.

My own club are worried we will not be able to sell out the upcoming Europa games. Fans are used to CL football, so the club have reduced tickets to £20 n £5 for OAP's and Minors. I am not sure how Burnley graded the night, but I am sure they are disappointed with the turn out.

To be fair, its a problem for the competition all over europe.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Blessing in disguise for Burnley, had their qualified for the group stages they would have been a tip for relegation for me. It knocks the stuffing out of the best of teams but a club like Burnley could really get left behind trying to graft out results against Bournemouth and Huddersfield whilst also playing away in Ukraine and Lithuania.

Yeah, I had a cheeky score on them to be relegated this season with the hope they progressed in the EL.

Another score wasted 9_9

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Blessing in disguise for Burnley, had their qualified for the group stages they would have been a tip for relegation for me. It knocks the stuffing out of the best of teams but a club like Burnley could really get left behind trying to graft out results against Bournemouth and Huddersfield whilst also playing away in Ukraine and Lithuania.

A club like Burnley won't be in Europe again for a very long time. Opportunity missed for them

Archived