• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group E Matchday 2 - 22 June - Brazil 2-0 Costa Rica, Serbia 1-2 Switzerland

football forum

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't know if, before the match, I underestimated this Swiss side or overestimated this Serbia side xD 

I'm thinking the former, or maybe a combination of both.

Just now, Stan said:

I don't know if, before the match, I underestimated this Swiss side or overestimated this Serbia side xD 

I'm thinking the former, or maybe a combination of both.

I feel the same. But I think it's a combination of both tbh. This Swiss side looks more than decent, I think they're going through no problem up against Costa Rica.

I can't see Serbia beating Brazil personally, but if they do I'd worry for the current state of South American football. More than I already did during the qualifiers.

So, this basically guarantees the swiss in the next stage with Brazil and Serbia fighting for the last spot. We have the advantage of the draw, but I really don´t like the looks of it. 

An interesting note is that both Xhaka and Shaqiri celebrated their goals making the gesture of the two-headed albanian eagle. 

DgUghGbX0AYLFM5.jpg:large

DgUg8GtW0AEmIjr.jpg:large

DgUgKMlX4AAfBwz.jpg:large

• Administrator

even though I thought/wanted Serbia to win, that still goes up there as one of the better games of the tournament so far. Portugal/Spain, Germany/Mexico the other also up there.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

I can't see Serbia beating Brazil personally, but if they do I'd worry for the current state of South American football. More than I already did during the qualifiers.

I can definitely see Serbia beating Brazil. 

Mitrovic is a nuisance upfront, very physical striker, difficult to mark and Brazil already conceded on a corner, I´m sure the serbians will try to explore the aerial game. Not to mention the physicality of their midfield and Brazil´s own midfield woes. Unless Neymar ups his game, which seems doubtful he will during this World Cup, Brazil is a very average and beatable side.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

I can definitely see Serbia beating Brazil. 

Mitrovic is a nuisance upfront, very physical striker, difficult to mark and Brazil already conceded on a corner, I´m sure the serbians will try to explore the aerial game. Not to mention the physicality of their midfield and Brazil´s own midfield woes. Unless Neymar ups his game, which seems doubtful he will during this World Cup, Brazil is a very average and beatable side.

So was France and Portugal for Peru and Morocco to be fair, but I feel like these supposed world class sides have the ultimate ability to grind out the games. Beatable or not, I just can't see it and I said the same thing about us when Portugal beat a very good Morocco side.

• The title was changed to Group E Matchday 2 - 22 June - Brazil 2-0 Costa Rica, Serbia 1-2 Switzerland
  • The topic was unpinned

I have been really disappointed with my nation Brazil so far. I was expecting them to hit the ground running, and the comparisons of this side to the 2002 winners to start circling early. Instead, they looked as laxed as they have done in every other World Cup since.

That is to take nothing away from Switzerland, who looked good in every position against them. They started off being too focused on the ability of Shaqiri but as the game progressed it became clear that they were progressive and competitive in all positions.

With that in mind, Switzerland and Serbia unexpectedly became one of the games I was most looking forward too this set of fixtures.

I think @Stan gave a good assessment of where Serbia were at after their win against Costa Rica. There midfield in particular was very structured and organised. They kept the ball well and really Mitrovic should have scored a couple.

Thankfully, neither of those teams surrendered their qualities against each other and it became a very good game of football to watch. A massive goal at the end by Shaqiri really changes the complexion of this group.

The match between Serbia and Brazil is going to be massive now. I don't think Brazil will get away with playing how they have done so far against Serbia. It could be the most fascinating game going in to the final round of fixtures.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Apologies if this was pointed out already but how come when Brazil is tied or losing injury time is 5 minutes or more? If it were another team it's the standard 3?

nah not having that. there's been plenty of times where more than 3 have been played for the other teams/games.

Great strike from one of the Premier League's statistically (so truly) best central midfielders. Dramatic winner as well. The 2 Kosovan/Albanians with the goals against Serbia, lovely stuff.

Just wish this Swiss side had a proper striker. Everything else is set up extremely intelligently.

• Subscriber

Yet another referee that for me would be lucky to get another game this tournament. I'm just utterly fed up of the inconsistency in this sport. How can that penalty shout possibly not go to VAR? Introduce a rule where anyone wrongly appealing for VAR is booked to stop the abuse of people calling for VAR, but Serbia have every right to be fucked off there, a stone-wall penalty not given, just like England the other day.

It's a shame that the referee takes centre stage but for me unfortunately he has to. Serbia go 2-1 up there, they don't lose that game, and if they don't lose they're probably going through. Now they probably aren't.

They never recovered from that either. After a very decent first half showing, Switzerland's winner was coming, you could see it. I had a fiver on Shaqiri getting it at 16/1. Thought it would be absolutely typical and sure enough he did.

Probably in the top five games of the tournament so far. I've been quite impressed with both of them.

5 hours ago, El Profesor said:

So, this basically guarantees the swiss in the next stage with Brazil and Serbia fighting for the last spot. We have the advantage of the draw, but I really don´t like the looks of it. 

An interesting note is that both Xhaka and Shaqiri celebrated their goals making the gesture of the two-headed albanian eagle. 

Will they be punished for this? Pretty sure there is a rule that forbids anything with political connotation.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Why did Shaqiri did a Balotelli ? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKaxCfYVe-NbSxntWZ7b-

Cos they're both arrogant knob heads but I think they had reason to do their celebrations given the goals they scored. 

10 hours ago, El Profesor said:

See this is the problem with trying to predict the World Cup. You can have years of data, but how do you calculate the motivation and focus of Kosovar emigrants against Serbia. No sample sizes or formulae for that.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/21/switzerland-serbia-kosovo-xherdan-shaqiri-world-cup

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Would you honestly take him? He's been bang average in a very poor Stoke side, better teammates perhaps?

He's far too good for the Stoke side. 

I forgot he played for Inter though. I reckon he'd have done alright if he was still there in last seasons team. Banging in the assists for Icardi for sure. 

Archived