talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B Matchday 3 - 25 June - Iran 1-1 Portugal, Spain 2-2 Morocco

football forum

Iran's penalty was harsh. I wouldn't have awarded it.

But we had some Iranian's falling in our box during the game. And with the complaints of Morocco in the last game, like my brother was saying: 'sooner or later, it was inevitable that we would have a penalty against us.'

We simply should have gone after that second goal. Our only opportunity in the second-half came down to a penalty. We were poor up front.

It was a shame, really. We were so close of topping the group. Now we are on the side of the draw, where we could potentially face France, Argentina, Brazil and Germany. Not to mention that Uruguay will give us a hell of a game.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Panna King said:

VAR is taking a bit of a bashing.  Anyway Spain should sweep Russia a side.

If Spain don't sort out their defensive issues (which are very big) they will go out because they're like butter at the back.  The way Spain play they need to be strong defensively.  Looks like Hierro only clicked onto half of the secret calculations on this Spain side when Lopetegui had been sacked.

Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

So youre saying Hungarian's shouldn't complain anymore because they reached World Cup finals had the best national team once enough for them.

Or yourr saying that Australis doesn't care about football and yet they win than thats enough forever ?

I said in a 'lifetime'. I'd wager most Hungarians that are alive now weren't alive during the 1950s. Getting to the final isn't the same as winning it, in fact; I'd say coming so close and failing only intensifies desires.

To a degree, Australia isn't a powerhouse and never will be, to win once would be an anomaly that would satiate me for a lifetime. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

If Spain don't sort out their defensive issues (which are very big) they will go out because they're like butter at the back.  The way Spain play they need to be strong defensively.  Looks like Hierro only clicked onto half of the secret calculations on this Spain side when Lopetegui had been sacked.

Well even with a bad defence  they should do Russia. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I said in a 'lifetime'. I'd wager most Hungarians that are alive now weren't alive during the 1950s. Getting to the final isn't the same as winning it, in fact; I'd say coming so close and failing only intensifies desires.

To a degree, Australia isn't a powerhouse and never will be, to win once would be an anomaly that would satiate me for a lifetime. 

So does @Stan but still expects more from his team.

Ill tell you what, the referee made those Portugal highlights really hard to watch with his lack of confidence to make a decision. God knows how difficult that must have been to watch the whole ninety minutes.

Credit to Carlos Quieroz though, I finished Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography rather recently and had his glowing references of Carlos' work in my head before this tournament. His tactics were spot on to get the most out of his players in every game and really had the respect of the whole nation behind him. Given his relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo, I wonder what the likelihood is of him going on to manage Portugal after this tournament.

All in all though, I've been disappointed that Portugal and Spain haven't taken the game to Iran and Morocco more. This World Cup really could have done with one of them setting a precedent after the first game for others to follow.

40 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Ill tell you what, the referee made those Portugal highlights really hard to watch with his lack of confidence to make a decision. God knows how difficult that must have been to watch the whole ninety minutes.

Credit to Carlos Quieroz though, I finished Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography rather recently and had his glowing references of Carlos' work in my head before this tournament. His tactics were spot on to get the most out of his players in every game and really had the respect of the whole nation behind him. Given his relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo, I wonder what the likelihood is of him going on to manage Portugal after this tournament.

All in all though, I've been disappointed that Portugal and Spain haven't taken the game to Iran and Morocco more. This World Cup really could have done with one of them setting a precedent after the first game for others to follow.

Not very likely mate.

He has managed the NT twice. Failed to qualify us to USA 1994. Qualified us to South Africa, then had us playing an abnormal football, which saw us scoring seven goals, all against North Korea. Against Spain, in the round of 16, and despite their winning goal being off-side, the only thing we did during the whole game was defend, even after they scored their goal and with 30 minutes to go. Then, we started the qualifiers to the Euro 2012 drawing with Cyprus 4-4 at home and lost 0-1 in Norway, before he was sacked.

I want him far away from us. 

Quaresma is really one of those "what could have been"'s. Obviously the dude has tons of natural talent, but not quite the work ethic of let's say a Cristiano Ronaldo. But let that not get in the way of enjoying his glimpses of brilliance he still delivers. 

2 hours ago, ASF said:

Not very likely mate.

He has managed the NT twice. Failed to qualify us to USA 1994. Qualified us to South Africa, then had us playing an abnormal football, which saw us scoring seven goals, all against North Korea. Against Spain, in the round of 16, and despite their winning goal being off-side, the only thing we did during the whole game was defend, even after they scored their goal and with 30 minutes to go. Then, we started the qualifiers to the Euro 2012 drawing with Cyprus 4-4 at home and lost 0-1 in Norway, before he was sacked.

I want him far away from us. 

I think he’s better as a national team manager with a side like Iran, that’s got way less talent to work with. He seems more of a pure tactician than a man manager, he failed miserably when I remembered his time at Portugal. I didn’t even know he managed you twice. With Portugal and managing players that are actually good, let alone someone like Ronaldo, I imagine being able to manage the players individually is much more important. Whereas with the Iran players he can just say “fuck off, compare my CV to yours” to shut them up.

4 hours ago, ASF said:

Iran's penalty was harsh. I wouldn't have awarded it.

But we had some Iranian's falling in our box during the game. And with the complaints of Morocco in the last game, like my brother was saying: 'sooner or later, it was inevitable that we would have a penalty against us.'

We simply should have gone after that second goal. Our only opportunity in the second-half came down to a penalty. We were poor up front.

It was a shame, really. We were so close of topping the group. Now we are on the side of the draw, where we could potentially face France, Argentina, Brazil and Germany. Not to mention that Uruguay will give us a hell of a game.

As for the last paragraph, I think if you can get passed the teams that are on paper that are harder, the more likely you are to win it.

After England, im hoping Portugal win it.

9 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

It was a warning for all. It’s why I put GENTLEMAN before the post. Not everything is aimed at you Brian.

Now EVERYONE. Move the fuck on and shut the fuck up.

Thats singular though  :coffee:

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Winning against Morocco, drawing with Portugal and a narrow defeat against Spain is quite impressive. Going out with four points is truly unlucky.

Morocco have also played some great stuff and have been unlucky.

• The topic was unpinned

Iran are the ones that really deserve a mention here because North African sides have traditionally made the life of both Iberian nations very difficult. North African players have been for decades part of both leagues especially La Liga and it isn’t the first time what occurred yesterday has been witnessed.

Both Portugal and Spain ended up suffering without due cause due to their individual differences on their outlook with respects to what they feel necessary to progress.

I watched the Portugal game early this morning and what occurred isn’t unusual if a second goal isn't scored. Portugal think safety first... A mentality that has brought success but as with every systematic way of doing things it has its downside. Playing not to lose first and foremost does tend to create panic station moments when the game isn’t put to bed.

For Spain the issues are different... Due to how they play which is a possession based game that’s designed first and foremost to be used as a defensive mechanism because of the general lack of midfield physical presense (Busquets aside, but even he is extremely technically gifted for his size) and the trademark emphasis on a very high level of technical prowess... Then the calculations on selection for midfield depending on the opponent is of the highest importance, it’s vital!  This small detail of such importance for balance is what Hierro so far has gotten wrong.

These are the reasons behind the excessive suffering we’ve witnessed during these games, each game with its unique issues. 

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he’s better as a national team manager with a side like Iran, that’s got way less talent to work with. He seems more of a pure tactician than a man manager, he failed miserably when I remembered his time at Portugal. I didn’t even know he managed you twice. With Portugal and managing players that are actually good, let alone someone like Ronaldo, I imagine being able to manage the players individually is much more important. Whereas with the Iran players he can just say “fuck off, compare my CV to yours” to shut them up.

As for the last paragraph, I think if you can get passed the teams that are on paper that are harder, the more likely you are to win it.

After England, im hoping Portugal win it.

Definitely.

My worries are about the toll it will take on us, in the fatigue aspect.

I remember in 2006. We faced Holland in the round of 16, then England (which included ET and penalties) and then France. That's 3 top teams in a row. We arrived to the semis exhausted.

It's very difficult (almost impossible) to win the WC, when you need to beat 3/4 teams consecutively, who knows what it takes to win the competition. You need to have a, somewhat, easier game somewhere in between, that won't demand as much from you physically, as a game where you'll need to be at 100%.

15 minutes ago, ASF said:

Definitely.

My worries are about the toll it will take on us, in the fatigue aspect.

I remember in 2006. We faced Holland in the round of 16, then England (which included ET and penalties) and then France. That's 3 top teams in a row. We arrived to the semis exhausted.

It's very difficult (almost impossible) to win the WC, when you need to beat 3/4 teams consecutively, who knows what it takes to win the competition. You need to have a, somewhat, easier game somewhere in between, that won't demand as much from you physically, as a game where you'll need to be at 100%.

Yeah, that’s definitely the counterpoint.

In any case, I hope you win all of your matches unless you come up against EnglandxD

• Subscriber

Would be amusing to see what impact a Portugal World Cup win would have on both sides of the Messi-Ronaldo race war, but I can't say the prospect of Portugal winning the whole thing gets me very enthused after they already won the Euros and given that they look far from a top top side so far in this tournament. 

Nothing against them, don't get me wrong, and I appreciate them for what they are but there are several other teams I'd equally/rather see win this WC.

i don't know where to post this but i'll just put it here.       portugal vs uruguay ............. france vs argentina....    very big potential that argentina will meet portugal in the quarters.   i wish it would happen.    that would become the most watched game of all time.     cr7 vs m10 in a world cup setting. yay....    

Archived