The better place to talk football.

Group B Matchday 3 - 25 June - Iran 1-1 Portugal, Spain 2-2 Morocco

football forum

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SirBalon said:

What do you want me to say then? xD

People react by expectations mate. That’s the name of the game. 

I'd take a little heartache for potentially winning the cup, than a lot of heartache to barely scrap into qualifying.

Just now, Spike said:

I'd take a little heartache for potentially winning the cup, than a lot of heartache to barely scrap into qualifying.

You wouldn’t if you thought you should be good enough to compete against anyone. Sensations can only be really felt if in the nature of your expectancies. 

That’s why I never rate parking the bus by inferior sides (not talking about minnows) and then saying thwy were either unlucky if they lost by one goal or worthy winners when they’ve strangled a game into a sparse moment.

Before anyone says that’s also football... I KNOW! But nobody’s gonna force me into saying it makes me want to change my skin tight speedos. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

You wouldn’t if you thought you should be good enough to compete against anyone. Sensations can only be really felt if in the nature of your expectancies. 

That’s why I never rate parking the bus by inferior sides (not talking about minnows) and then saying thwy were either unlucky if they lost by one goal or worthy winners when they’ve strangled a game into a sparse moment.

Before anyone says that’s also football... I KNOW! But nobody’s gonna force me into saying it makes me want to change my skin tight speedos. 

If you've won a cup in your lifetime you don't get to complain about anything! 

Just now, Spike said:

If you've won a cup in your lifetime you don't get to complain about anything! 

Of course you do mate because otherwise the top sides’ fans wouldn’t bother to register to forums to debate football. The biggest part of being a football fan is the heartache.

Have you read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby?

1 minute ago, Panna King said:

Ziyech is quality.  Spain are so lucky to qualify, they got saved by VAR.

They got saved by a goal scored by Aspas. Tight football mathes are always sorted out by football moments. It was a good goal. 

Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

What does that mean ?

It means you get to bask in the joy only very get to. Australia will never win, Pakistan will never win, we will always be looking up at the castle on the hill, never inside it.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Of course you do mate because otherwise the top sides’ fans wouldn’t bother to register to forums to debate football. The biggest part of being a football fan is the heartache.

Have you read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby?

You can't have the cake and eat it. If Australia won the Cup, I'd never complain about the team again. It wouldn't matter because for that one tournament it's ingrained in gold and nothing can take that away. I wouldn't care if they lost every single game 5-0 after that for the rest of history.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

It means you get to bask in the joy only very get to. Australia will never win, Pakistan will never win, we will always be looking up at the castle on the hill, never inside it.

You can't have the cake and eat it. If Australia won the Cup, I'd never complain about the team again. It wouldn't matter because for that one tournament it's ingrained in gold and nothing can take that away. I wouldn't care if they lost every single game 5-0 after that for the rest of history.

So you are saying Stan should never complain about leicester ?

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

You think that because as you say, the castle is so high up that hill at the moment and there are more powerful armies ahead of you looking to conquer it.

But IF YOU DID IT and IF YOU MANAGED SUCH A FEAT... The romance would die and you would be infected with complacency and expectancy. It’s even more sickening than where you are right now. 

Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

So you are saying Stan should never complain about leicester ?

Clubs are different to nations, no? Clubs disappear at a far more frightening rate than nations...Who will die first? Leicester F.C. or Australia?

I feel sorry for Iran. They gave a great acount of themselves and could have gotten through with a bit of luck.

I register that a lot of people think otherwise, but VAR is sucking much of the joy out of the game for me. The game I and my mates were playing when we were kids did not include getting phone calls from another city telling us whether it was a pen or not.

If I want to see justice being done, I go to a court room, football is about totally different things. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You think that because as you say, the castle is so high up that hill at the moment and there are more powerful armies ahead of you looking to conquer it.

But IF YOU DID IT and IF YOU MANAGED SUCH A FEAT... The romance would die and you would be infected with complacency and expectancy. It’s even more sickening than where you are right now. 

I don't expect anything of Australia, in fact I know if it were to happen it'd be a glitch in the flow of causality.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Clubs are different to nations, no? Clubs disappear at a far more frightening rate than nations...Who will die first? Leicester F.C. or Australia?

Doesn't really matter who disappear first.

Stan is as attached to his club as you are to your country.

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

I meant the game before, the Iran goal disallowed by VAR

The game before had the linesman flagging for offside and then VAR confirmed the linesman's judgement. In other words the goal had already been disallowed in real time before it had gone to VAR.

In any case... As long as VAR makes the correct judgment in any game, I don't know why anyone could ever complain.

1 minute ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Doesn't really matter who disappear first.

Stan is as attached to his club as you are to your country.

I think club and country is a little different, more than a little actually. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

The game before had the linesman flagging for offside and then VAR confirmed the linesman's judgement. In other words the goal had already been disallowed in real time before it had gone to VAR.

In any case... As long as VAR makes the correct judgment in any game, I don't know why anyone could ever complain.

VAR is taking a bit of a bashing.  Anyway Spain should sweep Russia a side.

Just now, Spike said:

I think club and country is a little different, more than a little actually. 

So youre saying Hungarian's shouldn't complain anymore because they reached World Cup finals had the best national team once enough for them.

Or yourr saying that Australis doesn't care about football and yet they win than thats enough forever ?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived