The better place to talk football.

Group C Matchday 3 - 26 June - Australia 0-2 Peru, France 0-0 Denmark

football forum

• Administrator

Tuesday 26th June
Australia vs Peru
France vs Denmark

Both kick-offs 3pm

France have already qualified. They only need to draw to keep 1st place.
Denmark only need to draw to ensure qualification.
If they lose, they need to hope Australia don't beat Peru.
Australia need to beat Peru and hope Denmark lose to qualify.
If Australia win 1-0 and Denmark lose 1-0, their goal-differences will both be on 0 but Australia will qualify due to having scored more goals.
If Australia win 1-0 and Denmark lose 2-1, goal difference and goals scored will be the same - so it will go down to disciplinary record which stands at Denmark on 4 yellow cards and Australia on 3 yellow cards, so Australia will qualify. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be disappointed if we lose to Australia. You all know I love the soccerroos and all due respect but we are better than these. Regardless, I'm expecting a close game as they are fighters and hugely spirited. I'm worried about the defensive attributes of Mooy and Jedinak.

I expect the side to win and go out with honour. No one remembers the side that went out in the group stage, but if we win this it will be a more successful World Cup than 1982.

On 24/06/2018 at 00:40, Blue said:

I'll be disappointed if we lose to Australia. You all know I love the soccerroos and all due respect but we are better than these. Regardless, I'm expecting a close game as they are fighters and hugely spirited. I'm worried about the defensive attributes of Mooy and Jedinak.

I expect the side to win and go out with honour. No one remembers the side that went out in the group stage, but if we win this it will be a more successful World Cup than 1982.

I'll reserve any comments on your bizarre attitude until after our game. I didn't expect us to get so close to France or take it to Denmark. Even if we don't qualify, I don't want to lose to Peru, mainly because of your posts. ;) 

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

I'll reserve any comments on your bizarre attitude until after our game. I didn't expect us to get so close to France or take it to Denmark. Even if we don't qualify, I don't want to lose to Peru, mainly because of your posts. ;) 

I'm not a prick though, so I won't rub it in anyones faces if we win. Even less if its Australia xD

On 6/23/2018 at 12:40, Blue said:

Which by your logic, no one will remember anyways. 

I really want to go out with honour. Nobody will remember us from outside of Peru aside from maybe other South Americans. We will be a forgotten team in Europe and North America though, but we will never forget this moment and hopefully its not our last world cup in my lifetime.

For all our troubles, I think we will win tomorrow and anything other than a win is a failure. Not disrespecting Australia, moreso I would have said the same if we had France or Denmark last. We need to get 3 points and our players have to perform.

In my opinion, the whole left side of the pitch underperformed. Trauco is an immense talent who just didn't look great in this tournament. He's been lazy and while he was OK against France, he was the missing asset from this tournament in my opinion.

Flores improved a lot against France too, but he's gone missing on the massive occasion.

The best performers have been Advincula and Carrillo. The 2 worst have been Rodriguez and Farfan. I praised Rodriguez prior to this tournament but when it comes to a high paced game, he unfortunately doesn't have it in him anymore. He's out for the final game (as is Farfan) which is a good chance for Santamaria to perform.

I hope we play a good game and then hopefully convince a few teams to take some of our players. We don't HAVE to be remembered. All I ask is that our players get moves and kick on the generation.

Well, our final day of the World Cup

I suffered through the last 2 matches, so its good to know I'm able to enjoy this last one. I still want to win, but now the pressure is off at the very least. I've wanted to see us play Australia for the last 2 years, so its exciting to finally see it. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Toinho said:

Will take a repeat of that as long as we win by a goal or two. 

Peru worry me. 

Yeah, lack of pressure on Peru may help their own cause and play with a bit more freedom. They might actually convert some chances they've been creating. But then is that lack of pressure enough to overcome the will/desire/hunger of an Australian team who could still qualify if France beat Denmark? 

Just now, Stan said:

Yeah, lack of pressure on Peru may help their own cause and play with a bit more freedom. They might actually convert some chances they've been creating. But then is that lack of pressure enough to overcome the will/desire/hunger of an Australian team who could still qualify if France beat Denmark? 

A few hours and we will find out! Looking forward to see van Marwyck's line up. 

One of my Aussie friends is worry that Denmark and France will fix the match. I thought the same once, but I don't see the point in that because one of them could end up with Argentina which doesn't sound scary given their form, but I doubt they'll want to come up against Messi because they know as well as us if they click, they will be tough albeit unlikely.

I think they'll play the game as normal to see who finishes first. I'm thinking it'll be France the winner, still not sure as to how we lost that Denmark game, they are gash.

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not sure if it will to be honest. The whole squad still seems overawed at the occasion. I can't blame them, especially after all the memes we've had since the internet started. I hope I'm wrong!

Whatever people say about France, three wins in three will set an impressive standard going in to the next round. They had to be mentally strong to hold on to their leads in both games so far and they did it. Umtiti's hand ball aside, there defence haven't really got the recognition they deserve either.

Unfortunately, with the way this forum is at the moment I can imagine @Spike having a meltdown as Peru take away something from this World Cup thanks to some of that VAR.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whatever people say about France, three wins in three will set an impressive standard going in to the next round. They had to be mentally strong to hold on to their leads in both games so far and they did it. Umtiti's hand ball aside, there defence haven't really got the recognition they deserve either.

Unfortunately, with the way this forum is at the moment I can imagine @Spike having a meltdown as Peru take away something from this World Cup thanks to some of that VAR.

Either a Spike or a Blue meltdown tonight. ;) 

Our lineup is supposed to look like this

Gallese

Advincula - Ramos - Santamaria - Trauco

Tapia - Yotun

Carrillo - Cueva - Flores

Guerrero

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm curious @Stan if you could take any of our players for Leicester, who would it be and why?

based on the last couple of matches I've seen, if we hadn't signed Pereira I'd want Advincula as a right-back. Seemed to have a good mind to get up and down the right flank and didn't even look tired at the end of the match.

Yoshimar Yotun seems a very capable player and he's probably the player (along with Carrillo) I've seen most outside of the national team as I've caught a few Orlando games this season and end of last in the MLS - having said that, we have a plethora of central midfielders now and I doubt he'd get in ahead of Silva, Ndidi, Iborra and now Maddison. Puel is keen on youth and I've liked the look of Choudhury recently too. 

With Maguire and Evans at the back I don't know if your centre-backs would get in ahead of them to be regular starters. Rodriguez is too old so won't get games considering Morgan won't play and he's same age. And there's something about Ramos I'm not too keen on but can't pinpoint it.

If we didn't have Schmeichel I don't think I'd mind having Gallese in the side. I think we could do better; not to say he's poor but I think our standards could be higher than where Gallese is at right now. 

I'm undecided on Carrillo. We need some creativity with Mahrez going but whenever I've seen Carrillo for Watford he'll create a bit of magic but a few minutes later he's trying too many tricks, being selfish and wasting opportunities. Scoring record could do with a bit of work considering I don't even think he got that many assists with Watford this season just gone either. 

Guerrero is Guerrero - we already have Vardy as 'that striker who's a cunt but you'd rather he be your team's cunt as opposed to another team's'. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

based on the last couple of matches I've seen, if we hadn't signed Pereira I'd want Advincula as a right-back. Seemed to have a good mind to get up and down the right flank and didn't even look tired at the end of the match.

Yoshimar Yotun seems a very capable player and he's probably the player (along with Carrillo) I've seen most outside of the national team as I've caught a few Orlando games this season and end of last in the MLS - having said that, we have a plethora of central midfielders now and I doubt he'd get in ahead of Silva, Ndidi, Iborra and now Maddison. Puel is keen on youth and I've liked the look of Choudhury recently too. 

With Maguire and Evans at the back I don't know if your centre-backs would get in ahead of them to be regular starters. Rodriguez is too old so won't get games considering Morgan won't play and he's same age. And there's something about Ramos I'm not too keen on but can't pinpoint it.

If we didn't have Schmeichel I don't think I'd mind having Gallese in the side. I think we could do better; not to say he's poor but I think our standards could be higher than where Gallese is at right now. 

I'm undecided on Carrillo. We need some creativity with Mahrez going but whenever I've seen Carrillo for Watford he'll create a bit of magic but a few minutes later he's trying too many tricks, being selfish and wasting opportunities. Scoring record could do with a bit of work considering I don't even think he got that many assists with Watford this season just gone either. 

Guerrero is Guerrero - we already have Vardy as 'that striker who's a cunt but you'd rather he be your team's cunt as opposed to another team's'. 

Well on the CB discussion, Rodriguez isn't up to the pace anymore. I once said he's better than 80% of defenders in the PL, and defensively perhaps he is, but that isn't everything. He needs to have good physique and he wouldn't last very long in the PL. As for Ramos, trust me we all think he's dodgy, but still love him xD

Carrillo is too lazy at club level. I think you were once linked with him? He's good but once he goes back to Watford or Benfica he'll no doubt just coast it again haha

On 24/06/2018 at 02:40, Blue said:

I get where you're coming from. But i don't think Denmark deserve to go through the group ahead of either of us so for that reason i hope we beat you guys and France beat them. 

More probably though  you'll beat us and France will draw with them,  and we'll finish bottom of the group. 

Just now, Harry said:

I get where you're coming from. But i don't think Denmark deserve to go through the group ahead of either of us so for that reason i hope we beat you guys and France beat them. 

More probably though  you'll beat us and France will draw with them,  and we'll finish bottom of the group. 

I agree with you, I actually still think we're better than Denmark and you aren't that far off them either. We lost that game ourselves in my opinion and they have been gash in the groups. Not sure how they're about to go through, but I do think they've got some good players who could make an impact in the second round. They showed they are capable of grinding results and that is perhaps the reason they are going through.

I love Australia and want to see them in a second round, but not at Peru's expense.

11 hours ago, Blue said:

I really want to go out with honour. Nobody will remember us from outside of Peru aside from maybe other South Americans. We will be a forgotten team in Europe and North America though, but we will never forget this moment and hopefully its not our last world cup in my lifetime.

For all our troubles, I think we will win tomorrow and anything other than a win is a failure. Not disrespecting Australia, moreso I would have said the same if we had France or Denmark last. We need to get 3 points and our players have to perform.

In my opinion, the whole left side of the pitch underperformed. Trauco is an immense talent who just didn't look great in this tournament. He's been lazy and while he was OK against France, he was the missing asset from this tournament in my opinion.

Flores improved a lot against France too, but he's gone missing on the massive occasion.

The best performers have been Advincula and Carrillo. The 2 worst have been Rodriguez and Farfan. I praised Rodriguez prior to this tournament but when it comes to a high paced game, he unfortunately doesn't have it in him anymore. He's out for the final game (as is Farfan) which is a good chance for Santamaria to perform.

I hope we play a good game and then hopefully convince a few teams to take some of our players. We don't HAVE to be remembered. All I ask is that our players get moves and kick on the generation.

Don't pin too much expectation on this mate. Peru have made a strong impression in the cup. and if nothing else once the cup is expanded and more places are awarded to South America youre highly likely to become regular participants. 

Similar parallels to what we went through in 2006. First WC in a long long time and a golden generation of players. And newly moved into the Asian pot that left our prospects for future world cup qualification looking pretty rosy.

I really hope we win not just for our sake, but so these bandwagon fans can stop making memes when we lose.

Us football fans here had high expectations here and lamented our elimination, where as the bandwagoners just wanted to have a laugh.

• The title was changed to Group C Matchday 3 - 26 June - Australia 0-2 Peru, France 0-0 Denmark
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived