Group D Matchday 3 - 26 June - Iceland 1-2 Croatia, Nigeria 1-2 Argentina

football forum

• Administrator

Tuesday 26th June
Iceland vs Croatia
Nigeria vs Argentina

Both kick-offs 7pm

Croatia guaranteed top spot.
Nigeria currently in 2nd and will stay there if they at least draw. If they draw and Iceland win, they'll stay in 2nd due to better head-to-head record.
if Iceland beat Croatia and Nigeria lose, Iceland will qualify in 2nd. 
Argentina can only qualify if they beat Nigeria and Croatia beat Iceland. 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Gunnarsson to rally Iceland to a 1-0 win, with Argentina beating Nigeria 1-0 as well.

imagine the scenes if Argentina are winning and Iceland/Croatia are drawing, then in the last kick of the latter game Iceland bag a winner to break the hearts of Argentina.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Berserker said:

I'd kill your flock in reprisal if that happens. ^_^

will you give him one last shag before you kill them

I'll ask again, did Lo Celso or Pavon bang sampaoli's daughter? 

Why not start both Higuain and Aguero? I find it hard to believe that Argentina wont be able to outscore Nigeria with those two and Messi on the pitch. Messi will be triple marked again. 

At least no Meza. But why Di Maria?

There’s serious rumours that the veterans in the Argentina side had a long chat with the president of the AFA where they informed him of the breakup of the team with their coach Jorge Sampaoli. They don’t have confidence in him and his consistent gameplan changes... 14 games 14 different selections and formations for each one of those games according to Radio Nacional de Argentina.

Burruchaga was earnarked to take his place but in the end the AFA have backed down as they feel it would cause even more havoc with a coach sacking during the actual World Cup.

So what the rumour is, is that the team are selecting themselves and going back to a traditional more Argentina type formation and tactics that was seen some years back under Sabella.

We’ll know for sure what the issue is when they lineup for their game against Nigeria.

@Berserker what do you know about this mate?

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

There’s serious rumours that the veterans in the Argentina side had a long chat with the president of the AFA where they informed him of the breakup of the team with their coach Jorge Sampaoli. They don’t have confidence in him and his consistent gameplan changes... 14 games 14 different selections and formations for each one of those games according to Radio Nacional de Argentina.

Burruchaga was earnarked to take his place but in the end the AFA have backed down as they feel it would cause even more havoc with a coach sacking during the actual World Cup.

So what the rumour is, is that the team are selecting themselves and going back to a traditional more Argentina type formation and tactics that was seen some years back under Sabella.

We’ll know for sure what the issue is when they lineup for their game against Nigeria.

@Berserker what do you know about this mate?

They had a reunion, the players the manager, the staff and the president of the AFA Saturday i think. But all those are shit rumours from our shitty press, there were even rumours that Pavon had punched Mascherano, both did a video making fun of it. It's the same as what happened a couple weeks ago when it was said Sampaoli had abused a worker, all bullshit. Stop paying attention to it.

7 minutes ago, Berserker said:

They had a reunion, the players the manager, the staff and the president of the AFA Saturday i think. But all those are shit rumours from our shitty press, there were even rumours that Pavon had punched Mascherano, both did a video making fun of it. It's the same as what happened a couple weeks ago when it was said Sampaoli had abused a worker, all bullshit. Stop paying attention to it.

There is a lot of conflicting stuff in Argentina’s media depending what you read or what you listen to from over there. It feels like the Spanish media at times where each one has their own agenda.

Cabllero is definitely going to be replaced by Armani though isn’t he?

11 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Has Messi cheered up? Needs to have a fucking laugh, take the captaincy off him, I don't think it's that important but I think it would be better if there was another focal point.

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There is a lot of conflicting stuff in Argentina’s media depending what you read or what you listen to from over there. It feels like the Spanish media at times where each one has their own agenda.

Cabllero is definitely going to be replaced by Armani though isn’t he?

Just don't believe the media, pay attention only to official statements or what the players say.

Yeah Armani will most likely play, that team Brian posted above is the rumoured one to start.

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Has Messi cheered up? Needs to have a fucking laugh, take the captaincy off him, I don't think it's that important but I think it would be better if there was another focal point.

I think so, it's his birthday today and they got to see their families, and the players looked to be having fun in the training. Albeit perhaps not very important i was also against Messi being given the captaincy, he's not Maradona. Mascherano shoulda kept it.

4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Just don't believe the media, pay attention only to official statements or what the players say.

Yeah Armani will most likely play, that team Brian posted above is the rumoured one to start.

I think so, it's his birthday today and they got to see their families, and the players looked to be having fun in the training. Albeit perhaps not very important i was also against Messi being given the captaincy, he's not Maradona. Mascherano shoulda kept it.

Yeah I saw the Mascherano and Biglia press conference earlier where he hits out against the press. But because I’ve seen this sort of stuff so many times before (in all teams in every country) where players cover their arses in public it’s why I asked you what you thought.

Let's not forget Croatia have had a problem with consistency in major tournaments. It would be unlike them to win all three matches, and I'm pretty sure I remember Iceland beating them in recent times.

Argentina's record against Nigeria in recent World Cups suggests to me they should win that one, but really, any hope of qualification depends on Croatia breaking down Iceland.

7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Let's not forget Croatia have had a problem with consistency in major tournaments. It would be unlike them to win all three matches, and I'm pretty sure I remember Iceland beating them in recent times.

Argentina's record against Nigeria in recent World Cups suggests to me they should win that one, but really, any hope of qualification depends on Croatia breaking down Iceland.

I was under the impression that Argentina's progression depended on solely what they do tonight.

9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think Iceland will do Croatia. I said an organized side will beat Croatia and I stand by that. I'm not convinced they are this top side that everyone is making them out to be. They are a team with good players and a lot of individualities but tactically they are a bit faulty.

As for the other game, the norm would be Argentina winning, but they've been so bad you can't even count on it anymore. Franco Armani plays though, and that will make a huge difference. He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world in my opinion.

As I thought (I think I'm right)...

Right now both Iceland and Argentina are on 1 point each with Argentina having a -3 goal difference and Iceland a -2.

Argentina depend on themselves if they beat Nigeria by more goals than if Iceland were to beat Croatia due to Argentina having one goal deficit more than Iceland.

In the event that Argentina were to win 2-0 against Nigeria and Iceland were to beat Croatia 2-1, then the tables would be equal on both points and goal difference which is where FairPlay would come into the reckoning... In this case Iceland are winning by a considerable margin seeing as they haven't had any bookings and Argentina have three bookings mainly due to them losing their nerve in the final minutes against Croatia.

Argentina must win!

So providing Argentina beat Nigeria and do it by 2 goals more than if Iceland were to beat Croatia, then Argentina would always qualify for the next round.

• The title was changed to Group D Matchday 3 - 26 June - Iceland 1-2 Croatia, Nigeria 1-2 Argentina
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived