• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 3 - 26 June - Iceland 1-2 Croatia, Nigeria 1-2 Argentina

football forum

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

If Argentina had as clear an identity and style of play as Colombia or Peru they'd be favourites to win the World Cup. 

Disagree on Colombia, they have no identity whatsoever. Can't decide on a lineup nor a style. 

• Subscriber

This Argentina side are terribly unpredictable and you can never tell what piece of magic the little man is going to pull out of his pocket. I don't think either of these games are going to be as boring as the 0 - 0 thriller we've all just been subjected to.

On 6/24/2018 at 16:35, Berserker said:

Just don't believe the media, pay attention only to official statements or what the players say.

Fuck that noise, che. Believe neither and look for the truth somewhere in the middle. Argentina needs to start anew after this cup, in the manner that Germany and Spain did in the 00s, otherwise your boys will end up like the Netherlands and Italy.  Your boys seem to be stuck in a 'old boy' mentality, a lot of 'brotherhood' and 'exclusivity'. Same old shit with the same old faces, Chelsea went through this growing pain as well, when you've got an old core that doesn't want to move on and a Federation that doesn't want to move on, you've got a recipe for trouble. You've got two of the brightest young forwards in the world, but everything has still gone through the same ol' trio, Messi, Aguero, and Higuian; all of them elite players, three of the best in the world, I might add. However, it hasn't worked in the past, and it's probably not going to work in the future, England went through the same rubbish with Gerrard, Scholes, and Lampard, there is only so much time that can be spent on figuring out the same problems. Even when Argentina went to the final in '14, I wasn't convinced by the team, I think they rode fortune to get there. It was hard to watch at some points, Lavezzi coming of for Aguero, Palacio and Higuian's misses, etc. I think by the next Copa, Argentina should be looking at Dybala, Icardi, and maybe even Lautaro Martinez if he pans out, as opposed to Messi, Aguero, and Higuian. 

I'll have a cup of mate for you lot during the game, heads up because I like Argentina but I don't like this team.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

So, if you had to chose to watch only one of these games? Which do you chose? 

Argentina vs Nigeria. Much more desperation and quality in that match, Croatia is already qualified and Iceland is terrible attacking. 

Argentina´s starting a much more competitive lineup today. They won´t go away without a fight at least.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Fuck that noise, che. Believe neither and look for the truth somewhere in the middle. Argentina needs to start anew after this cup, in the manner that Germany and Spain did in the 00s, otherwise your boys will end up like the Netherlands and Italy.  Your boys seem to be stuck in a 'old boy' mentality, a lot of 'brotherhood' and 'exclusivity'. Same old shit with the same old faces, Chelsea went through this growing pain as well, when you've got an old core that doesn't want to move on and a Federation that doesn't want to move on, you've got a recipe for trouble. You've got two of the brightest young forwards in the world, but everything has still gone through the same ol' trio, Messi, Aguero, and Higuian; all of them elite players, three of the best in the world, I might add. However, it hasn't worked in the past, and it's probably not going to work in the future, England went through the same rubbish with Gerrard, Scholes, and Lampard, there is only so much time that can be spent on figuring out the same problems. Even when Argentina went to the final in '14, I wasn't convinced by the team, I think they rode fortune to get there. It was hard to watch at some points, Lavezzi coming of for Aguero, Palacio and Higuian's misses, etc. I think by the next Copa, Argentina should be looking at Dybala, Icardi, and maybe even Lautaro Martinez if he pans out, as opposed to Messi, Aguero, and Higuian. 

I'll have a cup of mate for you lot during the game, heads up because I like Argentina but I don't like this team.

Good post. But i don't think Dybala and Icardi are the solution neither, they have been shite when they have played and don't inspire me any trust. If we were to do a renovation soon i'd try Alario, Driussi and Lautaro up front. Then Foyth and Mammana in defence and Ascacibar, Kranevitter, Barco and Ocampos at the middle.

I hate to be the armchair tactician but sometimes it can be fun. I sometimes doubt how much authority is given to the manager of Argentina but if I can assume that they have full authority to to pick the team this is what I'd do. I'm just copying Cholo's philosophy for Atleti. One winger, one wide-central midfielder, two DMs, a 'loose forward', and a more traditional forward, a defensive fullback, and an attacking fullback. Untitled.png.1958f84aa5bf60362a410841da9b53bf.png

Just now, Berserker said:

Good post. But i don't think Dybala and Icardi are the solution neither, they have been shite when they have played and don't inspire me any trust. If we were to do a renovation soon i'd try Alario, Driussi and Lautaro up front. Then Foyth and Mammana in defence and Ascacibar, Kranevitter, Barco and Ocampos at the middle.

Ezekial Barco? 

He's been pretty bad for over a month for Atlanta. Luckily made the All-Star team because Atlanta have more fans and it's up to votes...but not as impressed with him as I thought I'd be. 

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

Those are good points. The weakest position you have is the central midfield; it'd be a lot more positive if Paredes was still playing for Roma, and Kranevitter was still in Spain. It's a little worrying having so many players in a country like Russia, I just wonder if they get exposed enough to improve their game.

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ezekial Barco? 

He's been pretty bad for over a month for Atlanta. Luckily made the All-Star team because Atlanta have more fans and it's up to votes...but not as impressed with him as I thought I'd be. 

Ezekiel, but yeah. Wow, thought he would tear the league apart, he was ace for Independiente, hope he recovers his level.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Those are good points. The weakest position you have is the central midfield; it'd be a lot more positive if Paredes was still playing for Roma, and Kranevitter was still in Spain. It's a little worrying having so many players in a country like Russia, I just wonder if they get exposed enough to improve their game.

Yeah playing in Russia is not ideal. I'd give Paredes another chance too.

Ezekiel, but yeah. Wow, thought he would tear the league apart, he was ace for Independiente, hope he recovers his level.

Yeah - if you watch Atlanta matches, you notice that him and Almiron both like to run at the defenses, and often needs some warming up to get going. With two of them on the field at the same time, it seems like it's either Barco or Almiron, never both on fire. 

If it catches, Atlanta might be untouchable. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - if you watch Atlanta matches, you notice that him and Almiron both like to run at the defenses, and often needs some warming up to get going. With two of them on the field at the same time, it seems like it's either Barco or Almiron, never both on fire. 

If it catches, Atlanta might be untouchable. 

Shame, looks like a case of trying to fit as many stars as possible into the team rather than form a balanced structure. But i do hope it works out for him, he's one of the best young attacking mids we have right now along with Pavon.

Shame, looks like a case of trying to fit as many stars as possible into the team rather than form a balanced structure. But i do hope it works out for him, he's one of best young attacking mids we have right now along with Pavon.

In Tata we trust. :D

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

Shame, looks like a case of trying to fit as many stars as possible into the team rather than form a balanced structure. But i do hope it works out for him, he's one of best young attacking mids we have right now along with Pavon.

Is Pavón ready for los celeste though? I've been told he is; as of right now just a political move to satiate Xeneizes.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Is Pavón ready for los celeste though? I've been told he is; as of right now just a political move to satiate Xeneizes.

To be fair i didn't think he was ready, but when he came on against Iceland he was probably the best on the pitch and much better than Di Maria. That always happens but this time we may be wrong.

Messi can't be bad 3 games in a row. Has he ever had 3 awful games in a row?! Surely the Argies will step up, but would be brilliant if they didn't.

Lionel Musa to cause them all sorts of problems.

Messi can't be bad 3 games in a row. Has he ever had 3 awful games in a row?! Surely the Argies will step up, but would be brilliant if they didn't.

• The title was changed to Group D Matchday 3 - 26 June - Iceland 1-2 Croatia, Nigeria 1-2 Argentina
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived