• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 3 - 26 June - Iceland 1-2 Croatia, Nigeria 1-2 Argentina

football forum

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

@SirBalon With that midfield Argentina were supposed to get out of the group easily it was about winning the whole thing in which that virus might have hurt.

Yes mate, but supposed to isn’t a science. People (Myself included) thought Sampaoli would come up with something. Anyway... Goodnight bro! ;)

On 26/6/2018 at 17:49, El Profesor said:

I think Argentina had a good 1st half, but after the tying goal Nigeria´s midfield stepped up and was excellent. Mikel, Ndidi and Etebo were really good.

This was probably a mix of the emotional gettingto your players and also a dip in the physical condition. You needed fresh blood in the midfield, Lo Celso in particular, but for some reason Sampaoli has a strange fixation about Meza. The defence also looked shaky at times. 

Against France you´ll need to be more compact and to take better care of the ball, otherwise France has the individual quality in attack to make you pay for your mistakes. If Nigeria had a better striker, I think they would have scored at least one more. 

My starting XI against France would be: 

Armani;  Mercado, Rojo, Otamendi, Tagliafico,;  Mascherano, Banega, Lo Celso; Pavón, Messi, Higuaín. 

What do you think?

I agree that we were much better in the first half but i think it was because of the desperation of being out and having to score another goal rather than Nigeria's midfield upping their game.

Meza has disappointed me, i didn't mind the idea of him being given a position but he's been horrid the last 2 matches.

I think they only had a proper chance that their player fired well over the goal, a top striker on a good day would have probably scored that, but even the best can miss too.

It's not bad, but i feel Lo Celso is more offensive minded that Enzo and we will need to do a lot of pressing and marking so i'm not sure. I like Pavon though.

On 26/6/2018 at 17:30, 6666 said:

Nigeria could've and probably should've had a second penalty. Can't believe Rojo pulled that out the bag with all the attackers they had on the pitch. Don't feel Argentina were deserving of going through, tactically they look amateur as well. The whole attacking midfield area was left empty.

Bullshit, first pen is a play that everyone is guilty of, and we're the only fucking ones to be punished for it. Would you agree if England or whichever team you support were the only team punished with a pen like that while everyone else gets away with it, do you think that's fair? And the second play wasn't a pen neither, Rojo headed the ball before it bounced on his arm. The fuck we're not deserving, we were denied a pen too against Iceland and we only got our arses kicked like that against Croatia because we had to risk it to get a result, even then before Caballero's Karius-esque fuck up we were toe to toe with Croatia. Most other footballing powers also had a very hard time qualifying and didn't play very well, and some of them were quite favoured with some questionable decisions going their way, so if anything i think we're as deserving as anyone and certainly more than the later.

Needless to say, there's still a shit load of work to do for Argentina. A great dramatic finish by Rojo to take them through, and Messi finally looked like himself again. However I think the likes of Mascherano and Di Maria will be counting their lucky stars they're going to have another game to redeem themselves. Sampoali strikes me as out of his depth and clueless at this point too. France have been boring but consistently organised, so you'd imagine Argentina will have to improve significantly to advance to the quarters.

Croatia on the other hand look like the early pace setters. Three wins against three difficult teams, and now face an opposition in Denmark that could have finished bottom in their own group. Finally, it looks like this experienced group of talent are clicking together.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Whatever Maradona was on (he WAS on something), it wasn’t cocaine. It was a new one, something that revolutionises one’s enjoyment when watching football. :ph34r: 

probably ultra-level high end spice.

Archived