The better place to talk football.

Group E Matchday 3 - 27 June - Serbia 0-2 Brazil, Switzerland 2-2 Costa Rica

football forum

• Administrator

Wednesday 27th June
Serbia vs Brazil
Switzerland vs Costa Rica

Both kick-off at 7pm

Brazil need to ensure they don't lose against Serbia. 
If they lose, they need to hope Costa Rica beat Switzerland.

If Switzerland lose and Serbia draw, both will be on 4 points but the Swiss will go through with the better head-to-head.

Serbia will only qualify if they beat Brazil. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm hoping Switzerland go through. They've been surprisingly fun to watch.

i've under-estimated them so if they go out I'll be happy and ultimately I'll be proved right :ph34r: 

• Subscriber
On 6/25/2018 at 03:55, Stan said:

Wednesday 27th June
Serbia vs Brazil
Switzerland vs Costa Rica

Both kick-off at 7pm

Brazil need to ensure they don't lose against Serbia. 
If they lose, they need to hope Costa Rica beat Switzerland.

If Switzerland lose and Serbia draw, both will be on 4 points but the Swiss will go through with the better head-to-head.

Serbia will only qualify if they beat Brazil. 

Head-to-head only becomes relevant if the goal difference and the number of goals scored are the same between the two teams on equal points though, no?

Same starting XI of the Costa Rica match confirmed: Alisson;  Fágner, Miranda, Thiago Silva, Marcelo;  Casemiro, Paulinho, Coutinho;  Willian, Neymar, Gabriel Jesus. 

I have a terrible feeling about this match. Football always punishes those who are stubborn and persist in error. 

It´s clearly that this midfield setup is extremely unbalanced. Yes, Coutinho has been playing very well, but he doesn´t track enough. To give more balance to the midfield Paulinho must be benched, with Fred or Fernandinho coming in his place. Not only, we´ll have more portection but also the passing will improve. With SMS, the serbians can make us pay. 

Serbia will try to use their physicality to impose themselves, much like Switzerland did, and Mitrovic will cause a lot of trouble in the aerial game. 

Neymar will need to keep his emotions in check, the serbians will do everything to get him sent off, they know he has a short fuse and they´ll explore it.

18 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Same starting XI of the Costa Rica match confirmed: Alisson;  Fágner, Miranda, Thiago Silva, Marcelo;  Casemiro, Paulinho, Coutinho;  Willian, Neymar, Gabriel Jesus. 

I have a terrible feeling about this match. Football always punishes those who are stubborn and persist in error. 

It´s clearly that this midfield setup is extremely unbalanced. Yes, Coutinho has been playing very well, but he doesn´t track enough. To give more balance to the midfield Paulinho must be benched, with Fred or Fernandinho coming in his place. Not only, we´ll have more portection but also the passing will improve. With SMS, the serbians can make us pay. 

Serbia will try to use their physicality to impose themselves, much like Switzerland did, and Mitrovic will cause a lot of trouble in the aerial game. 

Neymar will need to keep his emotions in check, the serbians will do everything to get him sent off, they know he has a short fuse and they´ll explore it.

NO FIRMINO AGAIN?! Booooooo.

Ive been impressed with Serbia in both matches. I feel a bit sorry for their players as it looks like they may be going home.

If Brazil can't finish them off then surely this will go down as the worst performing team in Brazil's history? They've finally had the talent develop again and they've not performed. Coutinho aside, i have been really disappointed with then.

Switzerland have looked good in both matches, and will have the extra motivational boost after finding out their key players are allowed to play. Costa Rica looked well prepared against Brazil, but given the way Switzerland have played so far, I would be very surprised if they underestimate them.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Is Douglas Costa seriously not better than Willian? :what:

Douglas Costa is injured and probably out of the World Cup. 

This caused some controversy in Brazil because his wife told a newspaper his injury was due to excessive training. It´s hard to know what happened for sure, Costa has a long history of injuries, but at the same time Danilo and Fred also picked up injuries, not to mention Renato Augusto, who was called despite having an inflammation on his knee. 

This is a serious trouble, we have a short bench and many players are not their best physical shape. 

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Ive been impressed with Serbia in both matches. I feel a bit sorry for their players as it looks like they may be going home.

If Brazil can't finish them off then surely this will go down as the worst performing team in Brazil's history? They've finally had the talent develop again and they've not performed. Coutinho aside, i have been really disappointed with then.

Switzerland have looked good in both matches, and will have the extra motivational boost after finding out their key players are allowed to play. Costa Rica looked well prepared against Brazil, but given the way Switzerland have played so far, I would be very surprised if they underestimate them.

There is a before and after in brazilian football and it´s the 1958 World Cup. Brazilians have always had an inferiority complex  and despite having strong teams in 1934 and 1938, we bottled it. Not to mention the Maracanazo. So if we don´t count the pre-1958 participations, I think this would be the worst since 1966, when we were eliminated in the group stage.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Embolo and Gavranovic replace Zuber and Seferovic in the starting XI. 

shame Seferovic has been dropped. Scored so many and created so many chances.

Said no one, ever.

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Brazil deserve to go out for continuing with Willian and Jesus.

I've said it several times and no one seems to listen to me. While Tite is there, those 2 will almost always start. He's got a serious agenda issue. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Maybe. But Brazil are spoilt with Left Backs 

Filipe Luis as a backup xD

Very different player though, no? Luis isn't on the same level as Marcelo in terms of going forward. 

• The title was changed to Group E Matchday 3 - 27 June - Serbia 0-2 Brazil, Switzerland 2-2 Costa Rica
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived