The better place to talk football.

Group E Matchday 3 - 27 June - Serbia 0-2 Brazil, Switzerland 2-2 Costa Rica

football forum

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

That was not a block that was a drag down... 

from the Swiss player if anything. Not seen the replays though.

I must say I have been spot on about this match.

Brazil were going to grind it out, its exactly how its been. Not even been convinced that Brazil were at their best in the first half, I've seen better.

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Brazil game and they're on about germany

FIFA's top ranked team finishes last in their group. It'll be mentioned every game until the round of 8 I expect. 

I’m staying with that first goal for Brazil on the positive with moments of dynamism in the first half.

The second half showed some of the issues and weaknesses Brazil have and then there was that set piece which gave more calmness to everything for Brazil and it showed for most of what remained. But in truth, for me Serbia had plenty of moments where their midfield was clearly dominating their opponent’s counterparts. 

Brazil now have Mexico with Switzerland playing Sweden.

Very interesting. 

• The title was changed to Group E Matchday 3 - 27 June - Serbia 0-2 Brazil, Switzerland 2-2 Costa Rica
11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I’m staying with that first goal for Brazil on the positive with moments of dynamism in the first half.

The second half showed some of the issues and weaknesses Brazil have and then there was that set piece which gave more calmness to everything for Brazil and it showed for most of what remained. But in truth, for me Serbia had plenty of moments where their midfield was clearly dominating their opponent’s counterparts. 

Brazil now have Mexico with Switzerland playing Sweden.

Very interesting. 

Good points, Antoñito. 

I agree that overall it our best match in this World Cup. Yet, the midfield problems persist. For around 15 minutes in the 2nd half the brazilian midfield had a total breakdown, no agression to steal the ball or to limit the passing options. I believe that in the knockout stage Tite will need to reshape his midfield. I´d put Willian on the bench for Fernandinho with Coutinho going to the right flank. It´s time to give up on Gabriel Jesus as well. Firmino is the best striker option by far and this is plain stubbornness from our coach. 

The positives are the performances of Coutinho, Fágner and of our central defenders. Thiago Silva and Miranda have been amazing. 

Neymar was good, he´s improving. Hopefuly, the best is yet to come from him.

4 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Good points, Antoñito. 

I agree that overall it our best match in this World Cup. Yet, the midfield problems persist. For around 15 minutes in the 2nd half the brazilian midfield had a total breakdown, no agression to steal the ball or to limit the passing options. I believe that in the knockout stage Tite will need to reshape his midfield. I´d put Willian on the bench for Fernandinho with Coutinho going to the right flank. It´s time to give up on Gabriel Jesus as well. Firmino is the best striker option by far and this is plain stubbornness from our coach. 

The positives are the performances of Coutinho, Fágner and of our central defenders. Thiago Silva and Miranda have been amazing. 

Neymar was good, he´s improving. Hopefuly, the best is yet to come from him.

I know I’ve whipped it and it’s futile because he’s not there.  But the attributes Arthur has looks to be the exact piece that’s missing in the jigsaw puzzle. The pause, visualize, turn and execute is so important for any side that has talent in the other two lines of a team which are the defence and attack.

That’s the reason it broke down because there was no element in the most vital area of the pitch so as to bring calm and pause to a situation that should’ve been under control.

This is why set-pieces are so important to have drilled into a team. When you’re under pressure and you get a set-piece whether it’s an indirect free-kick or a corner, then you can bring more fluidity back into the game.

For me Coutinho is so far the player of the tournament. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I know I’ve whipped it and it’s futile because he’s not there.  But the attributes Arthur has looks to be the exact piece that’s missing in the jigsaw puzzle. The pause, visualize, turn and execute is so important for any side that has talent in the other two lines of a team which are the defence and attack.

That’s the reason it broke down because there was no element in the most vital area of the pitch so as to bring calm and pause to a situation that should’ve been under control.

This is why set-pieces are so important to have drilled into a team. When you’re under pressure and you get a set-piece whether it’s an indirect free-kick or a corner, then you can bring more fluidity back into the game.

For me Coutinho is so far the player of the tournament. 

Not having Arthur at least as a bench option really stings, especially because Renato Augusto doesn´t seem to be in great shape. Having Arthur to control the rhythm of the game would´ve been important in the 15 minutes or so Serbia pressed. Against stronger teams  I think we need a more conservative midfield setup.  

Coutinho´s been really decisive indeed. Modric is another guy who´s having a very strong World Cup.

2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Not having Arthur at least as a bench option really stings, especially because Renato Augusto doesn´t seem to be in great shape. Having Arthur to control the rhythm of the game would´ve been important in the 15 minutes or so Serbia pressed. Against stronger teams  I think we need a more conservative midfield setup.  

Coutinho´s been really decisive indeed. Modric is another guy who´s having a very strong World Cup.

Why did you have to add a Real Madrid player in there! :(xD;)

He has indeed been very good. 

4 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Any word on what's happened with Marcelo?

Back spasm. Hopefully he´s available for Monday´s match.

Danilo, Fred, Douglas Costa, now Marcelo. Not to mention Renato Augusto, who has knee problems. Brazil´s been having a tough time with injuries.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator

just seen highlights of the Switzerland/Costa Rica game - looked like Costa Rica could have been about 3-0 before Switzerland scored their first. Sommer made some brilliant saves.

Seriously unlucky for the Swiss keeper though with how Costa Rica's penalty ended up going in :( 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Stan said:

just seen highlights of the Switzerland/Costa Rica game - looked like Costa Rica could have been about 3-0 before Switzerland scored their first. Sommer made some brilliant saves.

Seriously unlucky for the Swiss keeper though with how Costa Rica's penalty ended up going in :( 

Yeah, the Swiss started poorly, quite similar to how they also started slowly and conceded first against Serbia before turning it around afterwards... Stayed in control throughout the match though, unlucky with the penalty, not only because of how it went in, but also that it was given in the first place. At any case, they're through and deservedly so.

Archived