talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group G Matchday 3 - 28 June - England 0-1 Belgium, Panama 1-2 Tunisia

football forum

Just now, Stan said:

and it's not like that's been our only way to get goals. Yeah we took advantage of them over Panama but also look at the way Lingard scored. Open play brilliant goal.

Allardyce usually only relies on route one/set pieces.

I've actually enjoyed watching this team play, I imagine I would not feel the same if Fat Sam was the manager. So I am in full agreement with you, my Nigerian brother.

I'm alright with this result if it stays the same, I think regardless of whether we play Japan or Colombia we've got enough about ourselves to possibly get through. Although I do think that with England players and their fragile mentalities and the pressure the media/fans put on the side keeping the momentum have would be beneficial & we shouldn't just count on a victory in the knockouts because it's been a long long time since that's happened.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

He's not a preferred starter so has to make a statement. May not be right to compare but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Same as in club football. You only get the chances you get to prove you're worth a starting spot. It doesn't matter how you get them or the circumstances, if you want to be a starter you need to show you should be a starter.

So Sterling should continue to get picked through piss poor performance simply because players don’t do enough against tougher opposition than he’s faced? Again, doesn’t sound fair. Rashford/Vardy/Welbeck should get a chance when it isn’t a dead rubber. Should Sterling start against Colombia? Does he continue if he’s shite but we win? 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Southgate said set pieces are massive for England and pointed to Germany 4 years ago and Spain's defense of set pieces as being important.

For international football, where the quality of play isn't that great and most sides are tight and cagey... I think it makes sense to make set pieces something national sides focus on.

There's nothing wrong with being a set piece side. England aren't blessed with much natural talent and that's where they can hurt teams.

This is just showing me that we are still to be found wanting.. This is the first side with any bite to them and we are coming up short, I don't knock the enthusiasm or the effort of the team but we are lacking that killer instinct when those chances come... 

It's great when we can wallop a team like Panama but is a meaningless stat if we can't do it when it matters against better teams... 

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

So Sterling should continue to get picked through piss poor performance simply because players don’t do enough against tougher opposition than he’s faced? Again, doesn’t sound fair. Rashford/Vardy/Welbeck should get a chance when it isn’t a dead rubber. Should Sterling start against Colombia? Does he continue if he’s shite but we win? 

Sterling has offered as much as Rashford so far, been nothing wrong with his build up play just the finishing. Sterling's also had a stronger season. If he is Southgates starter then it's down to Rashford to produce something good, let's not pretend we're playing a really good Belgium side either.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

I'm not convinced on whether Sterling should start, but I don't see what Rashford, Vardy or Welbeck have done to show they should displace him. Sterling's better than the three of them despite not showing that form in the tournament, he did show it over the course of the season. Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck, whoever need to actually demonstrate something before they get a start over him imo.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Sterling has offered as much as Rashford so far, been nothing wrong with his build up play just the finishing. Sterling's also had a stronger season.

He had a great season with world class players. Counts for dick with your national team.

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

He had a great season with world class players. Counts for dick with your national team.

Stop being silly, of course your domestic season plays apart in this equation. Only players it doesn't are for consistent England performers like Welbeck.

Just now, Danny said:

Stop being silly, of course your domestic season plays apart in this equation. Only players it doesn't are for consistent England performers like Welbeck.

Well it’s a made a massive fucking difference hasn’t it ffs xD

• The title was changed to Group G Matchday 3 - 28 June - England 0-1 Belgium, Panama 1-2 Tunisia

You might dislike Sterling, I know I do, but I don't see on what basis we'd be playing Rashford over him on anything we've seen since the tournament began. They've both been underwhelming, at least one has had a better club season.

Their 2nd team is better than our 2nd team. Not much else we learnt from that.

England v. Colombia should be interesting. Our starting XI still hasnt been tested by decent quality, not sure how we'll get on.

This isn’t anything personal against Sterling. I just find it hard to swallow that a player can be utter dross, yet continually given chance after chance, remain anonymous but it’s ok because he’s had a decent club season? With different players? His form hasn’t transferred over has it? He’ll start against Colombia, be anonymous once again (apart from a whole host of missed chances) and be picked again because just like against Panama, Southgate will stick with him in the vain hope he’ll score and it’ll change everything. It’s just my opinion. It’s not even specifically a ‘Rashford should be in the team’ argument. It’s an anyone but Sterling.

That was painful viewing. Southgate clearly got what he wanted tonight as England were terrible tonight. Other than Rashford's chance and a couple of wayward headers, I'm struggling to think of any other chances they had.

England play like that against Colombia and they'll be out.

5 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Glad thats over

It must be horrible for you mate not having Holland in the world cup. It's different if you're Scotland or something they're  use to it but you guys arent

1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That was painful viewing. Southgate clearly got what he wanted tonight as England were terrible tonight. Other than Rashford's chance and a couple of wayward headers, I'm struggling to think of any other chances they had.

Well it wont be that England side. Rashford should have equalised 

3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

If Colombia play like they did today, England shouldn’t exactly be shifting their pants either.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well it wont be that England side. Rashford should have equalised 

You're right. It'll be the England side that scraped a win against Tunisia.

The point still stands that the media wankfest has been completely premature. This may have been England's second string but they got shown up badly tonight.

1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

The point still stands that the media wankfest has been completely premature. This may have been England's second string but they got shown up badly tonight.

Not really. Belgium were better but not much in it really

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I thought both sides tonight were shit, just Belgium less so.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived