The better place to talk football.

Group H Matchday 3 - 28 June - Japan 0-1 Poland, Senegal 0-1 Colombia

football forum

• Administrator

Thursday 28th June
Japan vs Poland
Senegal vs Colombia

Both kick-off at 3pm.

Japan and Senegal currently level on points with identical goals scored/conceded records but Japan have a better disciplinary record (less yellow cards than Senegal).

Therefore, Japan just need to match Senegal's result and they will qualify.

Senegal need to avoid defeat against Colombia to qualify.

Colombia need to win. A draw is not good enough as if they draw and Japan lose, both will have 4 points & Japan will still go through due to better head-to-head record.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/06/2018 at 22:09, Stan said:

Thursday 28th June
Japan vs Poland
Senegal vs Colombia

Both kick-off at 3pm.

Japan and Senegal currently level on points with identical goals scored/conceded records but Japan have a better disciplinary record (less yellow cards than Senegal).

Therefore, Japan just need to match Senegal's result and they will qualify.

Senegal need to avoid defeat against Colombia to qualify.

Colombia need to win. A draw is not good enough as if they draw and Japan lose, both will have 4 points & Japan will still go through due to better head-to-head record.

Is head to head used in the world cup?? Thought that was only uefa 

38 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Is head to head used in the world cup?? Thought that was only uefa 

Stan's wrong. Head to head only comes into play if they can't be separated by goal difference or goals scored

I'll miss the first half of this game unless they decide to show it in class, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Colombia lose again. There are genuinely 2 sides of them. The one that plays like a bunch of cowards and the Colombia who actually wants to win and we see the former more often than not. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's 4/5 South Americans going through with 13/15 in the last 3 world cups.

13 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Stan's wrong. Head to head only comes into play if they can't be separated by goal difference or goals scored

I think yellow cards comes into play before head to head in the world cup as well. In which case if Japan lost Columbia woul go through with a draw. I think Columbia need to win though I wound fancy Japan to get a draw with poland

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'll miss the first half of this game unless they decide to show it in class, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Colombia lose again. There are genuinely 2 sides of them. The one that plays like a bunch of cowards and the Colombia who actually wants to win and we see the former more often than not. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's 4/5 South Americans going through with 13/15 in the last 3 world cups.

I just realized that stat is actually wrong. It's 14/16 because there were 6 South Americans in 2014.

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think yellow cards comes into play before head to head in the world cup as well. In which case if Japan lost Columbia woul go through with a draw. I think Columbia need to win though I wound fancy Japan to get a draw with poland

No fair play is only used if they can't be separated by head to head which could be the case for England/Belgium but not in this group. You're right that Colombia would go through with a draw if Japan lose though as they'd have a better goal difference

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

No fair play is only used if they can't be separated by head to head which could be the case for England/Belgium but not in this group. You're right that Colombia would go through with a draw if Japan lose though as they'd have a better goal difference

Ah right. I didn't know if they used head to head in the world cup. I think the system is better in the world cup than the bizarre system in the euros where a team can draw 2 all and definitely go through 

6 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Poland going out in the group stages despite their qualifying record again highlights Blue's point that Europeon qualifying isn't that real of a test for the World Cup.

Serbia too.

The only second tier European side that have impressed me has been Sweden. I have reservations on Switzerland.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Serbia too.

The only second tier European side that have impressed me has been Sweden. I have reservations on Switzerland.

At least Peru for a second tier South American team will be remembered for playing football that was enjoyable to watch. Poland was woeful

Senegal-Colombia will be a cracking match!! I really like all 3 teams remaining in the group, it's a shame one of them will be eliminated. Senegal should hope Poland at least plays for pride and doesn't lay down for Japan easily...I think Colombia will edge Senegal,

• The title was changed to Group H Matchday 3 - 28 June - Japan 0-1 Poland, Senegal 0-1 Colombia
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived