talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - France 4-3 Argentina

football forum

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be a great game. I really hope Argentina and Uruguay go through so we can see them in quarters. To me, that is a much better rivalry than the overrated Brazil - Argentina. The 2 are more related (Uruguay is basically a small Argentina. Same accent, similar infrastructure, etc) and the 2 are basically the founders of international football as they've been playing games constantly before anyone else in tournaments. I can see 1 of them going through, but not both. Unless Argentina improve defensively, it's more likely to be Uruguay. If we couldn't handle Mbappe, I can't see La Albiceleste do it.

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Gonna be a great game. I really hope Argentina and Uruguay go through so we can see them in quarters. To me, that is a much better rivalry than the overrated Brazil - Argentina. The 2 are more related (Uruguay is basically a small Argentina. Same accent, similar infrastructure, etc) and the 2 are basically the founders of international football as they've been playing games constantly before anyone else in tournaments. I can see 1 of them going through, but not both. Unless Argentina improve defensively, it's more likely to be Uruguay. If we couldn't handle Mbappe, I can't see La Albiceleste do it.

Adding to that Argentina is like a rich man's Uruguay in knock out stages. 

Except something like this for France. 

Giroud (31)

Dembele (21) -----Griezmann (27) ---- Mbappe (19)

Kante (27) ---- Pogba (25)

Hernandez (22) --- Kimpembe (22) --- Varane (25)  ---Pavard (22)

Lloris (31)

Edit: Put the ages besides the name, just for further clarification about how young this team is. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Did not know this...hmm...so where in Italy? 

Genoa. Moved when I was a child and spent a few years in England. Finished my undergrad at Palmers in the states and met my wife. Spent a few years in Argentina where we got married, until we moved back to the states. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Genoa. Moved when I was a child and spent a few years in England. Finished my undergrad at Palmers in the states and met my wife. Spent a few years in Argentina where we got married, until we moved back to the states. 

Christ you live in the States? Where about? 

Do you ever follow Genoa or Sampdoria? 

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Need not know that. (No offence) But my Family team is Sampdoria.

Fair enough. 

That is one of the best part of Italy, that whole area is stunning. 

24 minutes ago, Eco said:

Except something like this for France. 

Giroud (31)

Dembele (21) -----Griezmann (27) ---- Mbappe (19)

Kante (27) ---- Pogba (25)

Hernandez (22) --- Kimpembe (22) --- Varane (25)  ---Pavard (22)

Lloris (31)

Edit: Put the ages besides the name, just for further clarification about how young this team is. 

Two in midfield and 4 forwards? xD I don't think so. Also Umtiti is back.

6 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Two in midfield and 4 forwards? xD I don't think so. Also Umtiti is back.

yes, Umtiti is back.

Who would you imagine the lineup be? That would be my choice, but adding in the CB. 

Personally, I'd go with Mendy and Sidibé at full back, but Deschamps seems to prefer to play centre backs there. Then a midfield three of maybe Matuidi/Tolisso, Kanté and Pogba, with Giroud, Griezmann and Mbappé up front.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

@Spike

Very interesting. Could this be the influential decision that could have Argentina perform? 

No, as their line up still contains Di Maria and he ruins every attack. Argentina would have likely scored a few more goals vs Nigeria in the first half had he not been part of the line up. 

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - France 4-3 Argentina
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived