talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - France 4-3 Argentina

football forum

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The battle of the good on paper yet shite on the field sides of this World Cup.

if only it's a PS4 game :P  :P 

argentina has been shit so far but with this being a knock out game, they might change their mentality.     but france, what can i say - speed.   i'm excited on seeing mbappe doing some zippy counter attacks.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard on TV some journalists saying they feel a 1990 Brazil vs Argentina vibe in this match.  Brazil was the favorite back then, but in one moment of genius Maradona made a great run to assist Caniggia for the winner. Do you think this comparison make sense, @SirBalon ?

France hasn´t been very impressive, but differently from Argentina, they´re an organized side. And that argentinian defence going against a skilled and fast attack like the french have could make it ugly. 

I think France is the favorite here, but it´s impossible to totally discard a team that has Messi.

33 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I heard on TV some journalists saying they feel a 1990 Brazil vs Argentina vibe in this match.  Brazil was the favorite back then, but in one moment of genius Maradona made a great run to assist Caniggia for the winner. Do you think this comparison make sense, @SirBalon ?

France hasn´t been very impressive, but differently from Argentina, they´re an organized side. And that argentinian defence going against a skilled and fast attack like the french have could make it ugly. 

I think France is the favorite here, but it´s impossible to totally discard a team that has Messi.

You know something mate... Whenever people bring up the past like it has any say on the present I always feel rather bemused. I try my hardest to get it and the only resembling factor I can ever take into account where the past is concerned is when a particular team seems to have a mental block against another like for example Barcelona going away to Real Sociedad or back in the 90s Arsenal going away to Derby County. For some unkown and unscientific reason history on the main kept on repeating itself.

But international football is played with large timespans inbetween and these days players pertaining to any given team are well known the world over. There are no surprises any league can pull these days in my opinion which is why football at international level is showing more parity as time goes by.

In my opinion France are overwhelming favourites for this. History means nothing! France all over the pitch (minus Messi) matches or supersedes anything Argentina can put out onto the pitch. 

But as we all know, football isn’t played on paper (pardon the cliché) and anything can happen.

If Argentina come out victors tomorrow, will I be shocked? No!

If France have a rather comfortable victory, will I be surprised? Not at all. 

That’s what makes it all so fascinating. It means very little what you’ve done uptill now in the tournament. The game starts 0-0 and there are key players for both teams that can change anything. 

What do you think mate?

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You know something mate... Whenever people bring up the past like it has any say on the present I always feel rather bemused. I try my hardest to get it and the only resembling factor I can ever take into account where the past is concerned is when a particular team seems to have a mental block against another like for example Barcelona going away to Real Sociedad or back in the 90s Arsenal going away to Derby County. For some unkown and unscientific reason history on the main kept on repeating itself.

But international football is played with large timespans inbetween and these days players pertaining to any given team are well known the world over. There are no surprises any league can pull these days in my opinion which is why football at international level is showing more parity as time goes by.

In my opinion France are overwhelming favourites for this. History means nothing! France all over the pitch (minus Messi) matches or supersedes anything Argentina can put out onto the pitch. 

But as we all know, football isn’t played on paper (pardon the cliché) and anything can happen.

If Argentina come out victors tomorrow, will I be shocked? No!

If France have a rather comfortable victory, will I be surprised? Not at all. 

That’s what makes it all so fascinating. It means very little what you’ve done uptill now in the tournament. The game starts 0-0 and there are key players for both teams that can change anything. 

What do you think mate?

I agree, France is the favorite here by a significant margin.

But knowing how argentinian teams normally behave, I think they´ll embrace the position of underdogs and put a really good fight tomorrow. I feel like there is a sentiment of relief in Argentina for not embarassing themselves by being eliminated in the group stage and now the pressure is not on them anymore. From a mental standpoint, this is a very comfortable position to be in and it makes Argentina a dangerous opponent. 

Another point I´d like to bring is that they have a guy who will lead and show the way to his teammates, and that is Macherano. There is a lot of questioning regarding his play, but I think he is essential to this Argentina side.

29 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Another point I´d like to bring is that they have a guy who will lead and show the way to his teammates, and that is Macherano. There is a lot of questioning regarding his play, but I think he is essential to this Argentina side.

I would also play him, but I’d play him in central defence. He hasn’t been an elite midfielder in years. But you can’t question his attitude and effort. 

3 hours ago, ASF said:

France heavy favorites for this one.

I think the battle of the midfield will be decisive and, currently, France edges Argentina in that department.

2-1 for Les Bleus.

I hope you are right - I'm having family over tomorrow for the match and I'm absolutely geeked for this match.

41 minutes ago, Eco said:

I hope you are right - I'm having family over tomorrow for the match and I'm absolutely geeked for this match.

Personally, and if we go through, I'd rather face Argentina than France. We would have problems to cope with France, physically. Argentinean's are similar to us, in that aspect. 

But above all, I hope this will be a great game, between two historical football nations.

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Messi for me is the greatest ever, but by no means do I consider him a leader. 

In fact, the only leader on that side is Mascherano. And on that aspect alone, he has to play. 

Agree. And the kind of leadership Masch imposes is part of what makes argentinian football unique. The history of Argentina´s NT is filled with that type of captains Passarella, Maradona, Simeone, Zanetti, Sorín... 

They have that culture of playing hard and leaving everything on the pitch, "poner huevos". This has always differentiated brazilian and argentinian football and I envy it. 

Probable starting XIs for Argentina and France:  

Armani –   Mercado, Otamendi, Rojo, Tagliafico –   Pérez, Mascherano, Banega –   Pavón, Messi, Di María.

Lloris –   Pavard, Varane, Umtiti, Hernandez –   Kanté, Pogba, Matuidi -    Griezmann, Mbappé, Giroud. 

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Messi for me is the greatest ever, but by no means do I consider him a leader. 

In fact, the only leader on that side is Mascherano. And on that aspect alone, he has to play. 

I don't think Mascherano is a leader at all. Just because he screams at the referee doesn't mean he is a leader, in fact I think a leader should be the type of guy that reigns in players from getting frustrated and emotional. He is extroverted to be sure but like Rooney that doesn't equate to leadership

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I don't think Mascherano is a leader at all. Just because he screams at the referee doesn't mean he is a leader, in fact I think a leader should be the type of guy that reigns in players from getting frustrated and emotional. He is extroverted to be sure but like Rooney that doesn't equate to leadership

I disagree mate... Mascherano is a good leader.  One of his main attributes has always been his characteristic to unify the players on the pitch and either bring back calmness or pump them up for one last fight. I mean, his nickname "El Jefecíto" (the little boss) kind of says it all.  He's the only one with those qualities in this present Argentina side and what's for sure, Messi isn't a leader... Infact Messi is capped by giving him that responsibility. Messi is a child that wants to play football and for that game to never have an end.

• Administrator

We all know this will be awful. I suspect extra time but no penalties. I think also we’ll win and not just because of my obvious bias, but because Argentina will have to deal with an overly boring French midfield designed to stop over teams play. They’ll simply lose out of boredom. 

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I disagree mate... Mascherano is a good leader.  One of his main attributes has always been his characteristic to unify the players on the pitch and either bring back calmness or pump them up for one last fight. I mean, his nickname "El Jefecíto" (the little boss) kind of says it all.  He's the only one with those qualities in this present Argentina side and what's for sure, Messi isn't a leader... Infact Messi is capped by giving him that responsibility. Messi is a child that wants to play football and for that game to never have an end.

Well he did a rotten job of it last game!

10 minutes ago, Batard said:

Four central defenders in the back line. A formation and system that doesn’t suit anyone other than Matuidi. It’s going to be a slog. 

Yep, I really don't get it. You're clearly lacking something going forward, and Mendy and Sidibé were great at Monaco.

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - France 4-3 Argentina
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived