talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - France 4-3 Argentina

football forum

Just now, Machado said:

Higuain and Aguero are in pre retirement. No one in their right minds would rather have them than Griezmann/Mbappe. Maybe swap one of them for Giroud, that's about it. France have better attacking options overall. In the rest of the field it isn't even worth a debate.

That's your opinion. Higuain maybe, but Aguero just came off a good season at City. Not as good as in his young days but I'd still take the better form player. Be it Mbappe, Griezmann or Aguero but christ they aren't Luis Tejada. Mercado gets in the team as they don't seem to have hugely superior full backs overall and I rate Armani more than Lloris who is overrated. Di Maria has had a good season with PSG and I don't think I need to introduce Dybala.

Its fine to rate the other team but its easy to forget how talented this Argentina team are. 

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Fuming mate. He does have better players around him to be fair, which for me says it all. 

Nah, mate. It isn't about the players around him, I think Deschamps knows his strengths. Pogba wasn't tackling much, dribbling, or shooting but he was making long passes out wide for the wingers to carve up the Argie defence. If Mou had him doing that United would be set. Turns out you've got a class playmaker that Mourinhi doesn't kniw how to use. 

55 minutes ago, ASF said:

No penalty, mate. Griezmann touches the ball first.

France look more solid. Argentina looked toothless until Di Maria's goal. 

Mbappé man of the match so far, for me.

When i saw it i saw he made Messi fall by crossing his leg before touching the ball.

Pavard should have been sent off for that foul on Di Maria as he shoulda been carded from before. And the fucking mong of a ref doesn't even add one minute after all that time wasting when they were arguing, shoulda added 2 more to make it 6 mins.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

That's your opinion. Higuain maybe, but Aguero just came off a good season at City. Not as good as in his young days but I'd still take the better form player. Be it Mbappe, Griezmann or Aguero but christ they aren't Luis Tejada. Mercado gets in the team as they don't seem to have hugely superior full backs overall and I rate Armani more than Lloris who is overrated. Di Maria has had a good season with PSG and I don't think I need to introduce Dybala.

Its fine to rate the other team but its easy to forget how talented this Argentina team are. 

I'll gladly introduce Paulo "Mentirita" Dybala for you. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I keep telling people it doesn't matter how well they play fir club if they are contiually dross for country. If so Raheem Sterling would be bagging goals left and centre but it doesn't happen, because it isn't plug n play

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Age doesn't matter. Are you telling me a club in Europe, any club wouldn't take an elite goalkeeper for a cheaper fee? Come now, clubs would be flocking to him if he were as good as you say, reggardless of age. A few years of elite keeping is better than most anything. Even your Napoli is starting an even OLDER keeper

Age definitely matters because he plays in a different continent. Its a huge risk taking a 31 year old keeper playing on another side of the world, at a lower level and aging on top of that. Trust me if he was in Europe I have no disagreements with you, but he isn't. How many players have we seen go to Europe from South America after 30 years of age? and succeed on top of that.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I keep telling people it doesn't matter how well they play fir club if they are contiually dross for country. If so Raheem Sterling would be bagging goals left and centre but it doesn't happen, because it isn't plug n play

I know, but we're talking about talent, not form or plug and play. Most of these Argentinian players have come off good seasons which to me says that not all are pre-retirement like Machado would call it. If they click, they would have been a dangerous team as the quality is there, but they just don't work for Argentina.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

It is the opinion of the normal football fan as you can see others agreeing in this thread. I'd say it's general consensus, not just my opinion.

It's certainly not the opinion of a football hipster who thinks it's cool to say "mainstream" players are shit.

Just now, Machado said:

It is the opinion of the normal football fan as you can see others agreeing in this thread. I'd say it's general consensus, not just my opinion.

It's certainly not the opinion of a football hipster who thinks it's cool to say "mainstream" players are shit.

Good for you if you want to think that man, but I don't agree and that's not because I'm a "football hipster". I just think those 5/6 players can get in the team. I don't care about the "general consensus".

Just now, Blue said:

Good for you if you want to think that man, but I don't agree and that's not because I'm a "football hipster". I just think those 5/6 players can get in the team. I don't care about the "general consensus".

Many of those Argentineans can get in France's team but they won't improve them, that being the point.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

I know, but we're talking about talent, not form or plug and play. Most of these Argentinian players have come off good seasons which to me says that not all are pre-retirement like Machado would call it. If they click, they would have been a dangerous team as the quality is there, but they just don't work for Argentina.

Don’t be naïve Brian! These players have never ‘clicked’ over an entire decade. This is Loatd, Gerard, and Scholes all over again

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Age definitely matters because he plays in a different continent. Its a huge risk taking a 31 year old keeper playing on another side of the world, at a lower level and aging on top of that. Trust me if he was in Europe I have no disagreements with you, but he isn't. How many players have we seen go to Europe from South America after 30 years of age? and succeed on top of that.

Different completion!? Do you read what you post? Earlier you said saving shots is the same no matter the competition. This debate is over, you aren’t open to what I’m saying to the point of contradicting yourself.

Just now, Spike said:

Don’t be naïve Brian! These players have never ‘clicked’ over an entire decade. This is Loatd, Gerard, and Scholes all over again

I thought Argentina 2011-2014 was very good, but its always been a mystery as to why they have never clicked despite the countless managers they've had.

Point being the talent is there, just not the chemistry or team ethic.

Just now, Spike said:

Different completion!? Do you read what you post? Earlier you said saving shots is the same no matter the competition. This debate is over, you aren’t open to what I’m saying to the point of contradicting yourself.

Calm down mate xD saving shots usually doesn't matter the competition, but for European teams all those 3 things I've mentioned are off putting. Besides, who knows what could happen in the next 3 years. Armani just joined River and could be using that as a stepping stone, but I doubt it.

Just now, Blue said:

Calm down mate xD saving shots usually doesn't matter the competition, but for European teams all those 3 things I've mentioned are off putting. Besides, who knows what could happen in the next 3 years. Armani just joined River and could be using that as a stepping stone, but I doubt it.

I am calm! Just letting you know this is going nowhere fast

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

That talent wise France is a vastly better team right now, is hardly debatable. But debating the forwards aside from Messi is a moot point: in Argentina everyone but the forwards (and maybe Otamendi, although he is no Ayala), are mediocre players.

In the other hand the French NT has along with Uruguay one of the best defence lines of the World Cup. And I am no fan of Paul "Mentirita" Pogba at all, put argentinian mids have looked like sorry underage twats  next to him, and that's very telling.

Saying Mbappe is the find of this WC is almost like saying Ronaldo was the find of the 98 WC. Mbappe already the second most expensive player on the planet tearing top defences apart in the UCL for two seasons, Ronaldo was already the world player of the year before the 98 WC!

• Administrator
Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

Saying Mbappe is the find of this WC is almost like saying Ronaldo was the find of the 98 WC. Mbappe already the second most expensive player on the planet tearing top defences apart in the UCL for two seasons, Ronaldo was already the world player of the year before the 98 WC!

I think it's a bit of a misunderstanding from those saying it - he's performing on the biggest stage any player can. He's making the step up from an already successful couple of seasons (I don't care for cost of players these days because it's so extortionate) to the national side. 

I couldn't be happier for him :D 

Pavard's goal is the best of the WC, so far. Nachoesque, like Kowabunga said, but better because that effect on the ball.....superb.

The score suggests a close game, but it really wasn't. France was always in the front seat, for most of the game. 

• Administrator

France have now gone 19 games without a loss whenever Griezmann has scored. That man has the golden touch (albeit not having a good game but he scores when required)

• The topic was unpinned

Archived