football forum

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Manuel Fernandes has been one of the worst subs to be made this tournament xD

This man disagrees

341bc19d4e529ad1349769bbf0466cab.png

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - Uruguay 2-1 Portugal

Uruguay deserved that, but I think its fair to say both these teams are very good. Portugal undid themselves by conceding that penalty against Iran. Put themselves on the better side of the bracket.

Well done Charruas. 

• Subscriber

Portugal really disappointing aside from Ronaldo throughout the tournament for me. People have said that the Argentina team are poor aside from Messi but the players around Ronaldo have offered next to nothing too. Quaresma one quality moment, then what else? Guedes has under performed and Joao Mario, Adrien Silva etc. don't offer much.

Uruguay a very effective knockout team. Organised and consistent in defence with an attack that can get goals out of nothing. They'll be hard to beat. Should be a good quarter final with France.

Bad luck for Portugal because they did everything they could in that second half. They should’ve done more longer distance shooting because Muslera is awful.

It’s really hard to beat teams that play like Uruguay and if you let them score goals where there’s mislaps in the conversion of play, which you could see in Fernando Santos’ face that it looked like that has been part of the strategy lessons during the days leading upto the game... When that happens combined with how Uruguay play, then you’re left with a mountain to climb even though the scoreline is tight.

You HAVE to make a team like Uruguay chase you because they don’t want the ball... They’re comfortable to let you have it and enjoy defending like Atlético Madrid do. 

• Subscriber

Called both winners today. I do like Uruguay. I reckon if it's not England (which I don't think it will be) it's these who I'd like to see go all the way. I've never seen a side so determined to win. It's the same at every tournament as well. They aren't the best side to watch and won't be famed for their style of football but there's a heart in that side that I don't see anyone matching.

I think they'll beat the French as well.

Heartbreaking stuff.

Thought we should have done some things better. For an instance, didn't understood the point of insisting in short corners. Put the fucking ball in the box. There were always two Uruguayans near the corners, to close down on us and frustrate those short corners.

Some of the players had an abysmal tournament. Raphael, William (although he was decent today), Guedes, Bernardo (only decided to appear today). 

Can't think of anything else to say. Oh yeah, Congrats to Uruguay. Hope France batters you.

Fuck Suárez. Cheat cunt.

Uruguay have an extremely solid defence containing the world's best defender, they have the hard workers in midfield and the have 2 quality strikers. Just need a quality attacking midfielder and it'd be a complete side.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Uruguay have an extremely solid defence containing the world's best defender, they have the hard workers in midfield and the have 2 quality strikers. Just need a quality attacking midfielder and it'd be a complete side.

Bentancur does quite well there considering he's still very young.

I would give Pepe a pat on the back for his performance tonight but he would probably collapse on the floor... 

Cavani's second was a great goal... 

Had to abandon the last 20 minutes as well because we found a wasp nest in the garden that needed destroying.. got stung for my bloody troubles doing it as well.. 

Did Ronaldo cry at the end??? I hope so.. 

1 hour ago, ASF said:

Raphael, William (although he was decent today), Guedes, Bernardo (only decided to appear today). 

Raphael is a very, very good player but had a complicated season with injuries. It would be weird if he showed up at his best level here. I can't judge him. If we played again tomorrow, I would still start him.

William was MOTM today along with Pepe and Bernardo. Bernardo was ridiculously good in the second half, because it was the first time he played in the middle. Yes, it took Fernardo Santos three and a half games to realize we have a world class center mid in the squad.

I tell you more... Bernardo will perhaps miss out on a great career as one of the best #10's in the world because a few years ago he accepted starting to play stuck in a wing. Hopefully Guardiola wakes up to this asap.

Guedes was disappointing but he only just started to play for Portugal. He has NO experience with the national side let alone in big tournaments. Obviously wasn't ready to cope with the pressure, something he needs to work on. He was bad but doesn't deserve abuse. Bruno Fernandes was underwhelming for the same reasons IMO.

Why did Cedric start 3 games? I liked Ricardo today... he was one of the main attacking threats.

Adrien Silva and João Mário both tragic. Need to never be called up again. The midfield needs massive rework and as far as I care Ronaldo can retire from the NT. It looked like he was playing beach football today... shooting from any angle and distance. It got worse in the second half. I get that he wants to make the difference but that's not the right attitude.

As for the game, everything went right for Uruguay and that's about the whole story of the game. Two awesome goals and lots of defending. Some luck as well. Was this karma? Maybe they'll win the WC the same way we won the Euro.

You've got to give it to Uruguay. They're having a very good tournament. Solid, organised, creative and now Cavani is turning up to the party. Deservedly in the quarters.

As touched upon by others, I think Portugal have been given a bye from the media up until now. They've been just as dependent on one player as Argentina. The difference being that Portugal's other ten most starting players this tournament would make more of a team against Argentina's men given Sampaoulis tactics.

In fact I'm glad to see the back of Portugal. Third in the euros, played considerably weaker opponents until the final which they won by defending for their lives, and were fortunate not to lose to Iran and Morocco this World Cup. I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed to see them represent us as Champions just based on the premise that Italy, Holland and Germany have been shitter.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived