• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Sunday 1st July - Spain 1-1(p) Russia

football forum

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dgklsa4WAAAf0g-.jpg

• WHO THE FUCK HAS PUT DE GEA INTO THE STARTING 11???!!!
  • It was you... sir.
  • AND WHY DO YOU HEED ME? I WAS SACKED FROM OVIEDO.

link

Additionally, this has a Korean exit written in destiny since Day 1.

In 2002 the Spanish NT, coached by José Antonio Camacho, was eliminated in the quarterfinals by the host team, South Korea, in a miserable effort combining an ineffective brand of football and the performance of the infamous egyptian referee "Al Ghandour".

1481882967234-1024x572.jpg

25 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

Dgklsa4WAAAf0g-.jpg

• WHO THE FUCK HAS PUT DE GEA INTO THE STARTING 11???!!!
  • It was you... sir.
  • AND WHY DO YOU HEED ME? I WAS SACKED FROM OVIEDO.

link

Additionally, this has a Korean exit written in destiny since Day 1.

In 2002 the Spanish NT, coached by José Antonio Camacho, was eliminated in the quarterfinals by the host team, South Korea, in a miserable effort combining an ineffective brand of football and the performance of the infamous egyptian referee "Al Ghandour".

1481882967234-1024x572.jpg

That day for me was the epitome of daylight robbery.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Spain are knocked out here. Doesn't feel right to completely rule out the home nation.

In a good day they can beat Russia comfortably and by some margin, but in this world cup we've seen most of the favourites going through some really bad days.

Spain are vastly superior to Russia in every sense concerning football but there is one thing missing from this particular Spain side and this is a proper leader that has a big strength of character. Carles Puyol hasn't been replaced and Sergio Ramos isn't that man as much as the Madrid based media would like to make everyone believe. I, like @Kowabunga believe that this game is probably the most difficult one that could've got in Spain's present state after the dismissal of Julen Lopetegui.

Russia will play on inertia from being the home nation and the home crowd while Spain will be playing against themselves.

1 hour ago, bozziovai said:

i'm only thinking of damage control from russia.   don't it be a 3-0 drubbing.   2-1 defeat would be enough :P 

It depends on whether they take performance enhancing drugs or not ;)

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

He has hold of him in one picture 

Oh right...

Well what happened in that image was just after VAR had given Iago Aspas' goal as valid.  The moment where the referee announces that VAR has given the goal which made the game 2-2, the Morocco bench went crazy and tried to invade the Spain technical area (bench) protesting with anger... Some of the Spain bench reacted with Pepe Reina being the most vociferous which is where the picture occurs with Fernando Hierro (the coach) grabbing Reina by the chest and telling him to calm down as players can get booked. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'll cheer on the team I'm supposed to because of that Adopt a Country thread, I suppose. But I still hope Ramos's kneecaps somehow spontaneously explode.

Which church are you gonna put a candle out for that one mate? 

I’ll do it too so we can double the power!!! B|

Spain´s defence looked shaky during the group stage. This is something to watch.  I think Spain is the heavy favorite here, but the russians are the kind of team that could create some trouble to them with their physical strenght and fast counters. 

52 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Which church are you gonna put a candle out for that one mate? 

I’ll do it too so we can double the power!!! B|

Well with my thoughts on religion, some sort of Satanic church would probably be best xD

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Hey, hey, this is our secret! It worked in the Costa Rica match for us. xD

xD

The reason I come out with the lighting a candle thing is because my memories of my grandmother on my mum’s side was extremely Catholic and I have memories of her lighting candles for anything that concerned something that should happen. I used to find it astonishing when I was a kid. Hahaha

Also on football matches my dad (rip) would put a candle next to a San Antonio statue he used to have near the tv set. 

3 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Spain´s defence looked shaky during the group stage. This is something to watch.  I think Spain is the heavy favorite here, but the russians are the kind of team that could create some trouble to them with their physical strenght and fast counters. 

Aside from the non-existant pulse of the team at defence, Carvajal seems to be in a sorry physical form since the Robertson challenge at the UCL final. If I were Russia, I'd punish them mercilessly there with Cheryshev or whoever else.

Hierro is rumoured to enter Koke and maybe Asensio for Silva and Thiago. Silva particularly has been lacklustre.

22 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

Aside from the non-existant pulse of the team at defence, Carvajal seems to be in a sorry physical form since the Robertson challenge at the UCL final. If I were Russia, I'd punish them mercilessly there with Cheryshev or whoever else.

Hierro is rumoured to enter Koke and maybe Asensio for Silva and Thiago. Silva particularly has been lacklustre.

Well remembered. I had forgotten that Carvajal is coming back from an injury. 

The impression I had from Spain is that you were a bit too fancy with the passing. Perhaps this is due to Silva, Iniesta, Thiago being a bit too similar in style? I think you need a guy who can add more pace and dribble in the wings, and also shoot more to the goal. 

But the biggest flaw in this spanish team is that for a team that plays with the lines so advanced, when you lose the ball, you take too much time to get in defensive position. Spain´s "recomposición" is brutal. And this where this match against Russia can be tricky. because Russia impressed with their pressing and ability to built fast counter-attacks.. 

You mentioned that Cheryshev can be a factor and I agree. Also, on the right, Mário Fernandes is playing with freedom to advance and seem to have a good understanding with Samedov. 

And there is also the big man Dzyuba, who will give a lot of trouble to the central defence with his physicality.

Just now, El Profesor said:

Well remembered. I had forgotten that Carvajal is coming back from an injury. 

The impression I had from Spain is that you were a bit too fancy with the passing. Perhaps this is due to Silva, Iniesta, Thiago being a bit too similar in style? I think you need a guy who can add more pace and dribble in the wings, and also shoot more to the goal. 

But the biggest flaw in this spanish team is that for a team that plays with the lines so advanced, when you lose the ball, you take too much time to get in defensive position. Spain´s "recomposición" is brutal. And this where this match against Russia can be tricky. because Russia impressed with their pressing and ability to built fast counter-attacks.. 

You mentioned that Cheryshev can be a factor and I agree. Also, on the right, Mário Fernandes is playing with freedom to advance and seem to have a good understanding with Samedov. 

And there is also the big man Dzyuba, who will give a lot of trouble to the central defence with his physicality.

Well, the rumoured changes are well due on principle. Koke makes Costa work better too. And yes, I agree on the analysis of redundancy: Silva had the scoring factor for the Spanish team. With that factor switched off, with Isco being mostly very good (some would say he's "la polla en verso" whatever he does, but his eye-catching football needs reevaluation case by case in order to assess real effectiveness) and Iniesta et. al. on the pitch, he is redundant to the point of toxicity.

In any case, a total lack of reaction at defence (including here also de Gea, Piqué, Busquets, Carvajal... and the whole team) is the biggest problem the Spain NT faces and that will be surely exploited by Russia at the counter.

Fernando Hierro has left both Iniesta and Carvajal on the bench who are replaced by Nacho and Asensio respectively. Hmmm... Hope it pays off because that's got a lot of stick written all over it!

Spain's XI

- De Gea

Nacho

- Piqué

- Ramos

- Alba

- Busquets

- Koke

- Silva

- Isco

- Asensio

- Diego Costa

15 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Fernando Hierro has left both Iniesta and Carvajal on the bench who are replaced by Nacho and Asensio respectively. Hmmm... Hope it pays off because that's got a lot of stick written all over it!

Spain's XI

- De Gea

Nacho

- Piqué

- Ramos

- Alba

- Busquets

- Koke

- Silva

- Isco

- Asensio

- Diego Costa

Your heat-rate is smooth enough to give a try to the game? Ha, I thought you were done with the coja cause of heart attack stuff. :cardY:

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Sunday 1st July - Spain 1-1(p) Russia
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived