• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Sunday 1st July - Spain 1-1(p) Russia

football forum

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

This is a good point, Spike. Yes, most people, myself included hold Brazil to higher standards. This is true. I guess my point is that many foreigners see in Brazil something that it isn´t. Even the 2002 side, that wasn´t as magnific as most think. They played 2 good matches in that World Cup, against England and Germany. But against Belgium we were almost eliminated and the referee aided us. There is a lot of nostalgia regarding that team, but most their games were terrible to watch. 

Brazil has fallen behind in terms of coaching. There´s no job security for coaches in brazilian club football, if a team loses 3 straight matches, a coach is fired. This built a cycle of conservatism and defensiv approach in our coaches. Experienced players and physical midfielders are prefered. This is why I´m so excited about Arthur, I hope this is the first step in changing the way brazilian midfields are built.

Spain is the opposite, I think they end up being hostages of their way of playing. Too comfortable with the ball and not enough risk taking. Other than Isco, they weren´t trying to dribble, shoot and give a risky pass in the final third. 

Yes, the tradition counts. But I don´t think this will be a factor tomorrow. Mexico is used to play against us and generally, they don´t show any fear for us. 

Brazil probably hold some of the worst records of having 'he won the cup!?' Case in point; Kleberson. As you mentioned it becomes a bizarre self defeating prophecy; Brazil excel with their flair players and forwards but if the coaches prefer experience and robust, it makes no sense. How many prodigies fizzle out into nothingness?

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The word ''Peru'' has been mentioned 62,841 times in the months of May and June when I had a look in the Control Panel. Much more than that of ''England'' (which out of interest has been posted 7,609 times).

Rattled at his own hypocrisy  the Anglo resorts to feeble stats to reaffirm his weak ego.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

el matador de españa - la guerra civil 2.0

He cares about the Spanist NT the same as Barça, to be honest. xD

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Spain is the opposite, I think they end up being hostages of their way of playing. Too comfortable with the ball and not enough risk taking. Other than Isco, they weren´t trying to dribble, shoot and give a risky pass in the final third. 

Asensio has a bit of that "play safe mode" too often. He of course becomes irrelevant in that case. For the better or for the worse in order to see a change of paradigm, Busquets is needed to be gone.

And for de Gea he better stays at MU. The Torbe scandal causes havoc in his psyche anytime he is close to a Spanish environment..

If you're an England fan and you aren't excited by our prospects then Football isn't the sport for you. Every fucking country in the world is plotting out their potential opponents, i'm sure as hell Colombia fans are doing the same and Denmark, Croatia etc.

10 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The word ''Peru'' has been mentioned 62,841 times in the months of May and June when I had a look in the Control Panel. Much more than that of ''England'' (which out of interest has been posted 7,609 times).

So?

6 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

Asensio has a bit of that "play safe mode" too often. He of course becomes irrelevant in that case. For the better or for the worse in order to see a change of paradigm, Busquets is needed to be gone.

And for de Gea he better stays at MU. The Torbe scandal causes havoc in his psyche anytime he is close to a Spanish environment..

It doesn't matter if he does because 'the voice' is a Catalonian seperatist whether he like sit or not!

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Knew Spain should of stuck with Costa. Dramatically improves their game. 

The issue wasn't who the striker was, the issue was that all of their midfielders played like cowards.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Unpopular opinion, but Uruguay have been the best team so far.

Don't think there's much wrong with that statement but they're lacking a bit of creativity in midfield.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Unpopular opinion, but Uruguay have been the best team so far.

Them having the Best T-E-A-M is not unpopular at all. For me they're clear contenders although Brazil and France have more sheer talent available, particularly the later.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Belgium have so far won every game with relative ease. Never even getting out of 1st gear. 

I'm not sure they will get out of that first gear though, as we saw in the last World Cup. Hence why I'm excited for their game against Japan.

1 minute ago, Kowabunga said:

Them having the Best T-E-A-M is not unpopular at all. For me they're clear contenders although Brazil and France have more sheer talent available, particularly the later.

I agree, my fellow Uruguayo. 

2 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

I think saying France or Brazil is the lazy answer to who the best team have been so far. For me it's been Uruguay though. As the rest have said above they have a lot about them but what I see in them is a very mature battling team with quality. That's one thing that can take them all the way.

• Administrator

Croatia are up there with Uruguay if we're throwing the 'best team' label around. 

Belgium are hard to tell because they beat two teams expectedly and then played with a 2nd string against another side's 2nd string.

If we want to see the best of Belgium, and if they want to prove a point, they've gotta deliver against Japan and future matches if they make it.

I think Croatia will get knocked out by an organized team with quality. I don't think they've been as good as some have said so. Still seeing a lot of tactical flaws that can be exploited by a proper manager

17 minutes ago, Marc said:

If you're an England fan and you aren't excited by our prospects then Football isn't the sport for you. Every fucking country in the world is plotting out their potential opponents, i'm sure as hell Colombia fans are doing the same and Denmark, Croatia etc.

Totally agree on this. I’m not a massive England fan as most know, but if it were the Champions League and United, I’d want what would be considered the easiest route to the final. You’d be a fucking idiot to want to face harder teams.

45 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

In a way, I think Spain and Germany faced the same problem. They both played possession football, but had no dribble nor pace in their attack. 

I think Keita Baldé would´ve been an interesting option off the bench for Spain, to play the Jesús Navas role. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived