talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Sunday 1st July - Spain 1-1(p) Russia

football forum

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain have regressed 10 years with these performances during this World Cup. It’s not easy to criticise Spain apart from being toothless in front of goal... The thing is that there are other issues that seem to be there and again it’s difficult to pinpoint them and really put them out for debate because pre the sacking of Julen Lopetegui they weren’t there.

We’ll never know what may or may not have been had Lopetegui not been fired and that’s his fault and of course Real Madrid’s in that particular case because his position was unattainable due to the manner in which things were done.

What’s for sure is that due to all the trumoil the RFEF (Spanish football federation) have been in before this present President took over, I don’t think that even they are in a position to restructure the project.

• Administrator

Shame he couldn't bow out with more success but what a career he's had at international level for sure. Pivotal to the success from 2008 to 2012.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Shame he couldn't bow out with more success but what a career he's had at international level for sure. Pivotal to the success from 2008 to 2012.

Think that just leaves Ramos and Silva. The last of the golden generation. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Think that just leaves Ramos and Silva. The last of the golden generation. 

Pepe Reina ;) 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Marc said:

If you're an England fan and you aren't excited by our prospects then Football isn't the sport for you. Every fucking country in the world is plotting out their potential opponents, i'm sure as hell Colombia fans are doing the same and Denmark, Croatia etc.

Sssssh you're English. You're not allowed to say that!!!!

• The topic was unpinned

That terrible VAR decision, Spain's reluctance to press the Russian defence, David De Gea's randomly turned terrible at saving penalties. All seems a bit iffy to me. 

It's been listed before but to think one side that I wouldn't have considered a top eight team going in to this tournament is guaranteed a place in the final is quote frankly fantastic. I'd like to see the winner of England and Colombia meet Croatia in the semis. I really hope it's us.

In not getting carried away but I've book holiday from work for the semi final and the day after the final.

17 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

That terrible VAR decision, Spain's reluctance to press the Russian defence, David De Gea's randomly turned terrible at saving penalties. All seems a bit iffy to me. 

It's been listed before but to think one side that I wouldn't have considered a top eight team going in to this tournament is guaranteed a place in the final is quote frankly fantastic. I'd like to see the winner of England and Colombia meet Croatia in the semis. I really hope it's us.

In not getting carried away but I've book holiday from work for the semi final and the day after the final.

The Spain penalty appeal?

Spain in the last there tournaments:

2014 - Group Stage

2016 - Last 16

2018 - Last 16

They are back to Spain pre 2008.

Why this is the case I don't know. There is as much talent if not more. Maybe they're not as influenced by Barcelona's type of football as before? Possession doesn't equal total football.

7 hours ago, Machado said:

Spain in the last there tournaments:

2014 - Group Stage

2016 - Last 16

2018 - Last 16

They are back to Spain pre 2008.

Why this is the case I don't know. There is as much talent if not more. Maybe they're not as influenced by Barcelona's type of football as before? Possession doesn't equal total football.

No focal point up front that understands the game being played.

When David Villa decided it was time to call it a day on international football, from that day scoring goals became difficult.

There aren't too many issues though...  Spain produce elite talent and now it's the search for something that doesn't seem to be coming through the ranks, a goal scorer.

25 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

No focal point up front that understands the game being played.

When David Villa decided it was time to call it a day on international football, from that day scoring goals became difficult.

There aren't too many issues though...  Spain produce elite talent and now it's the search for something that doesn't seem to be coming through the ranks, a goal scorer.

Spain won Euro 08 without a Striker, they just need to get rid of Costa.  He was shocking in the last World, apart from the Portugal game he didnt do much at all in this one.  

Who is coming through in defence that can take the places of Ramos and Pique?

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Spain won Euro 08 without a Striker, they just need to get rid of Costa.  He was shocking in the last World, apart from the Portugal game he didnt do much at all in this one.  

Who is coming through in defence that can take the places of Ramos and Pique?

Well Piqué said this was his last tournament. Ramos' ego will keep him going until bits of his body start dropping off.

I can't think who's coming through right now but Iñigo Martínez should be in there but his stupidity has probably deleted him off future lists.  For me he is a tremendous defender.

What a lack of creativity and courage. It's already been said before that Spain plays like Barcelona without Messi, and last night it looked like a combination of that and an attempt at Real Madrid's habit of forcing a way through over the flanks, but without Marcelo and Ronaldo. Jordi Alba in particular looked very weak. Shocking performance and it confirms that Spain is finally back to its old, underperforming self.

20 minutes ago, Panflute said:

What a lack of creativity and courage. It's already been said before that Spain plays like Barcelona without Messi, and last night it looked like a combination of that and an attempt at Real Madrid's habit of forcing a way through over the flanks, but without Marcelo and Ronaldo. Jordi Alba in particular looked very weak. Shocking performance and it confirms that Spain is finally back to its old, underperforming self.

The lack of courage came from the unwillingness to dribble and go for the one-on-one.  Carvajal wasn't ready from injury, David Silva was nothing like he was mid-season, De Gea from the first game had the defence lose confidence in him, Lopetegui was the leader of that team (Koke's words after the elimination yesterday), Iniesta suffered from partners in crime and the non-use of Thiago Alcántara who was a main feature for Lopetegui... This without going in deeper with others not used like Saúl for example.

Just now, SirBalon said:

The lack of courage came from the unwillingness to dribble and go for the one-on-one.  Carvajal wasn't ready from injury, David Silva was nothing like he was mid-season, De Gea from the first game had the defence lose confidence in him, Lopetegui was the leader of that team (Koke's words after the elimination yesterday), Iniesta suffered from partners in crime and the non-use of Thiago Alcántara who was a main feature for Lopetegui... This without going in deeper with others not used like Saúl for example.

On a simpler level it was also a case of the midfielders opting for a lateral or back ball even when there was a low-risk chance of getting it forward. Had they played against a side like France, this approach would've been understandable, but seeing as they were facing an opponent that did not know how to counter nor possessed much in the way of individual quality, it's unacceptable. Even with all of Spain's problems, they still have more than enough quality to brush a team like Russia aside.

Archived