talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Brazil 2-0 Mexico

football forum

1 minute ago, Stan said:

he's not world class level. even if he did have one great game in 2012 and a few against some international teams.

Riquelme was more world class level and Guerrero is not in that bracket. Neymar is world class level with his achievements. 

Looking at Guerrero's stats, he's a striker. yet in his career he's only ever scored more than 10 goals in a season TWICE. And that's a career spanning 16 years. For me, that's not world class.

Me and @Spike were talking about this the other day after the Peru - Australia game but he mentioned to me that Guerrero is seriously underappreciated because he doesn't bag 30 a season. He's an elite target man and he performs more in the role of Giroud, but he's got a lot more about him than the Frenchmen. 

Everytime a South American came here, the opposition press is also rambling on about how they should be beating us but are scared to death of Paolo. I'm not saying them because of them, when Vignolo first said Guerrero is one of the best in the world, I thought he was crazy. As the qualifiers went on, he proved to me he is, and he pretty much led Flamengo to a Copa Sudamericana final too. Last season when he wasn't there, Flamengo would go to shit.

He may not be the best finisher in the world but he is an excellent asset and would be suited for any European club in my opinion. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

Me and @Spike were talking about this the other day after the Peru - Australia game but he mentioned to me that Guerrero is seriously underappreciated because he doesn't bag 30 a season. He's an elite target man and he performs more in the role of Giroud, but he's got a lot more about him than the Frenchmen. 

Everytime a South American came here, the opposition press is also rambling on about how they should be beating us but are scared to death of Paolo. I'm not saying them because of them, when Vignolo first said Guerrero is one of the best in the world, I thought he was crazy. As the qualifiers went on, he proved to me he is, and he pretty much led Flamengo to a Copa Sudamericana final too. Last season when he wasn't there, Flamengo would go to shit.

He may not be the best finisher in the world but he is an excellent asset and would be suited for any European club in my opinion. 

fair points but being exceptionally good for your team doesn't make you world class.

Vardy is exceptional for us, he's not at world class level. 

also if you're gonna be a world-class striker, finishing should be one your best attributes. 

What does he have more of than Giroud does?

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate your biased. Embarisingly biased. I'm not euro centric. I like south American teams but they are no where near europe

Its not that I'm biased, its that you're choosing not to believe me. And you are being European centric because there are some very good players here but you don't want to acknowledge it.

There isn't a whole lot, at least not compared to how many there were last century, but there are a lot of good players here.

Salas, Guerrero, Tevez, Neymar, Riquelme, Chilavert, I'll even throw in Aguinaga, Veron and Francisco Arce.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Its not that I'm biased, its that you're choosing not to believe me. And you are being European centric because there are some very good players here but you don't want to acknowledge it.

There isn't a whole lot, at least not compared to how many there were last century, but there are a lot of good players here.

Salas, Guerrero, Tevez, Neymar, Riquelme, Chilavert, I'll even throw in Aguinaga, Veron and Francisco Arce.

Good yeah but no world class. And when they are world class they go to Europe 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

fair points but being exceptionally good for your team doesn't make you world class.

Vardy is exceptional for us, he's not at world class level. 

also if you're gonna be a world-class striker, finishing should be one your best attributes. 

What does he have more of than Giroud does?

The bolded bit is why I was so undecided on him for the longest time after Vignolo's comment. Its not awful, but its not at the levels of Higuain, or even close to it say.

As for what he has more than Giroud, he can hold onto the ball longer, has better dribbling (albeit still not great) and is stronger. Even if my opinion is unpopular everywhere, the one thing he thrives in is strength. I can't remember the last time a defender outmuscled him. Not even Godin was able to do it.

As for Vardy, I've seen him a bit and I think he would be world class if he had a bit more football ability and not always relied on certain tactics (you can correct me on that). The only role I can see Paolo failing in is a poacher that needs to beat the offside trap. Otherwise he's as complete as can be.

He wasn't great in Europe but he still wasn't that mature. He got a lot better with age. Think Aduriz who got better in his 30's, or you could even argue Ibrahimovic to be in that bracket too.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Good yeah but no world class. And when they are world class they go to Europe 

They might not want too. Tevez never wanted to play in Europe for example.

I was spot on in saying those names mean nothing to you. All of those except maybe Aguinaga or Arce (I don't remember a whole lot of him) were world class in South America. 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I was spot on in saying those names mean nothing to you. All of those except maybe Aguinaga or Arce (I don't remember a whole lot of him) were world class in South America. 

Tevez did play in Europe :|

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Tevez did play in Europe :|

But he didn't want to.

Why do you think he was always harping on about returning to Boca Juniors?

I'm getting a feeling Aguero didn't want to either. Talking a lot about Independiente in recent years.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

But he didn't want to.

Why do you think he was always harping on about returning to Boca Juniors?

I'm getting a feeling Aguero didn't want to either. Talking a lot about Independiente in recent years.

Doesn't matter they did. All the top world class players play in Europe. The Brazilian and Argentine league would probably be behind the  portugeuse league. 

Doesn't matter they did. All the top world class players play in Europe. The Brazilian and Argentine league would probably be behind the  portugeuse league. 

But you don't have to play there.

Just immediately disrespecting historic clubs like Boca, River, Flamengo, Santos, Peñarol and even Club America who aren't even South American. Its not like I'm talking about San Martin de Tucuman ffs.

You don't have to but the best do. This is a pointless conversation. You're so biased towards south america. Everyone on the forum can clearly see it.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Blue said:

you're very South-American centric.

• The topic was unpinned

You don't have to but the best do. This is a pointless conversation. You're so biased towards south america. Everyone on the forum can clearly see it.

Which I said ideally you'd play in Europe. Most South Americans would probably agree with me and might have a different list of players. At club level, the 2 aren't even close but we aren't semi-professionals and have a very prestigious/historic continental competition.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

you're very South-American centric.

Haha even if I was, it would at least be the better side to have "centrism" :D 

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Which I said ideally you'd play in Europe. Most South Americans would probably agree with me and might have a different list of players. At club level, the 2 aren't even close but we aren't semi-professionals and have a very prestigious/historic continental competition.

Never said you were semi professional. 

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Marcelo Salas too. He spent his best years at River Plate. Chorri Palacios never played in Europe yet he was arguably better than Nolberto Solano. You really don't need to play in Europe to be a great.

Marcelo Salas was good at Lazio.

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

Marcelo Salas was good at Lazio.

But he spent his best years at River.

Same with Tevez, I think his best days were either at Juve or at Boca.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Clattenburg reckons it’s a red for violent conduct. Get to fuck.

A man considered England's best referee has legitimised behaviour like Neymar's. It really is a fucking disgrace. 

• Subscriber

I do think Brazil will win the whole thing now. They're the best balanced side in the competition for me. A lot of people's nostalgia is making them expect nigh on impossible things from Brazil but they're a very good side. Their defensive record is astonishing.

Archived