talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Brazil 2-0 Mexico

football forum

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference will be the best player tournament so far, Coutinho. 

I think Brazil need more from Neymar though. He's not been able to get into his game at all so far in this competition, but if that changes, then I can see them going all the way. It's a very balanced team.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

He’s been a snidey cunt though, always in the ear of the referee. Can tell he’s moved to Barsa B|

Image result for utd players surrounding ref

Image result for utd players surrounding ref#

Image result for utd players surrounding ref#

Snidey cunts. Snidey cunts everywhere.

(Disclaimer, well aware every single team has done it in the past/still does it)

Rattled. Nah, I all seriousness though, I hate seeing certain players always in the ear of a ref. Rooney used to do it all the time. I’ve just seen a fair few instances this tournament of various fouls and on one occasion a throw in and Coutinho was contesting it, but with the added flavour of the month of covering his mouth. God that’s annoying.

17 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Are Mexicans insufferable wankers with names like Oscar and Henry?

Its a latinamerican optimistic thing for us to believe we can win the World Cup.

I remember a few years ago, Peru went away to Brazil and in the comments for predictions, I didn't see a single one say we were going to lose. We don't like making predictions because some don't know the distinction between what they want and what they think will happen. If you actually ask them if they think a team like Mexico will win the world cup in person as a mate, they'll probably say "probably not".

12 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The difference will be the best player tournament so far, Coutinho. 

I think Brazil need more from Neymar though. He's not been able to get into his game at all so far in this competition, but if that changes, then I can see them going all the way. It's a very balanced team.

I agree, Chris. Without a productive and decisive Neymar, Brazil will not win the World Cup. 

Considering we´re going against a team coached by Juan Carlos Osorio, I have no idea what to expect. He is very smart, but he is prone to overthink and take decisions that end up not paying off. 

I learnt to like and admire Osorio, despite being baffled by some of his rotations and decisions. He is a brilliant person, but his work is inconsistent and he can go from genius to stupid from match to match. 

He knows Tite and this brazilian side very well. I expect Lozano to explore Fágner´s side. 

Also, unlike most teams that play against Brazil in that stage, Mexico doesn´t fear Brazil, historically they have a good record against us. Sometimes I think some teams end up losing to Brazil because they end up respecting us too much. Teams like México, Paraguay and Uruguay don´t fear us. 

But what I am really afraid is of Memo Ochoa. He is a brilliant goalkeeper and he can defintely steal a match. This is exactly what he did against us in 2014.

7 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I think so. Danilo trained today, but Fágner is still expected to start. Marcelo also is expected to start on Monday. 

Danilo is rubbish anyway, don't know Fagner but he can't be worse than Danilo surely?

5 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Danilo is rubbish anyway, don't know Fagner but he can't be worse than Danilo surely?

Fágner is a serviceable right-back. He is known for being a good defender. But the problem is that he plays in brazilian football. We don´t know how he´s going to fare against world class wingers.

But to be honest, he´s been better than Danilo so far.

6 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Fágner is a serviceable right-back. He is known for being a good defender. But the problem is that he plays in brazilian football. We don´t know how he´s going to fare against world class wingers.

But to be honest, he´s been better than Danilo so far.

To be honest i've never bought into that argument. When we won both our WC the vast majority of ours players played in our league and weren't exposed against Europeans or anything. When you're good in a good league like ours or yours it's enough in my eyes, it's not for nothing that our teams almost always give a pretty damn good fight to UCL winners in the Clubs WC.

24 minutes ago, Berserker said:

To be honest i've never bought into that argument. When we won both our WC the vast majority of ours players played in our league and weren't exposed against Europeans or anything. When you're good in a good league like ours or yours it's enough in my eyes, it's not for nothing that our teams almost always give a pretty damn good fight to UCL winners in the Clubs WC.

When you won the World Cup, Europe wasn't the dominant force when it came to leagues. They were about even with South America.

I still agree though, some Peruvian league players held their own in the qualifiers against some world class wingers. I'm not buying the "Fagner can't handle them" because he's in Brazilian football argument. Sorry El Professor :P 

43 minutes ago, Machado said:

Este jogo tem tudo para ter um dos melhores ambientes em todo o torneio. Um daqueles que gostava de assistir ao vivo. Apeteceu-me escrever em português agora :4_joy:

Acho a maneira como os portugueses falam e escrever o português mais bonita do que a nossa. O português brasileiro é a versão pirata. xD

45 minutes ago, Berserker said:

But in 1978 and 1986 football was different. I mean, the top talent in the world was not concentrated in a few european teams. Our NT has only 3 players that play in domestic football. 

Fágner is not used to face guys like Hazard, Messi, Isco... 

28 minutes ago, Blue said:

When you won the World Cup, Europe wasn't the dominant force when it came to leagues. They were about even with South America.

I still agree though, some Peruvian league players held their own in the qualifiers against some world class wingers. I'm not buying the "Fagner can't handle them" because he's in Brazilian football argument. Sorry El Professor :P 

I´m not saying Fágner can´t handle world class wingers. I´m just saying I´m not sure if he can handle them because he usually doesn´t play at this level. 

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Acho a maneira como os portugueses falam e escrever o português mais bonita do que a nossa. O português brasileiro é a versão pirata. xD

But in 1978 and 1986 football was different. I mean, the top talent in the world was not concentrated in a few european teams. Our NT has only 3 players that play in domestic football. 

Fágner is not used to face guys like Hazard, Messi, Isco... 

Still, take Mercado for example, he was starting before going to Europe and i trusted him 100% despite not playing in the UCL or whatever. Same with Funes Mori. If you're good you're good, and besides we're not talking about Peru or Uruguay, i rate our league only below the Premier, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and maybe Ligue 1.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s clear cut that at international level a particular player not plying his trade in Europe would be any kind of a handicap. Football is also momentum, mental and with the element of surprise.

But let’s keep the FIFA Club World Cup out of any argument please. It only serves to degrade a foundation for an argument. 

Filipe Luís is starting. Marcelo will be available on the bench though. 

The projected starting XI for Brazil: 

Alisson; Fágner, Thiago Silva, Miranda, Filipe Luís; Casemiro, Paulinho, Coutinho; Willian, Gabriel Jesus, Neymar. 

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Brazil 2-0 Mexico
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived