• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Brazil 2-0 Mexico

football forum

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Eco said:

Makes sense to me - He's from France, PSG is currently the kings of France, and the only team able to pay him as much as they are. He'll be royalty there if he can get this French team another World Cup, and would add more to his legend if he led PSG to the Champions League victory.

Just because the league isn't as competitive as Spain/England/Italy, doesn't mean that players like him can't improve it and make the league more popular. 

I think it’s hard to improve the overall quality of a league if it’s just one side beating up on the others and you’re on that dominant side.

For Ligue 1 to improve PSG need more moneybags clubs like them to come about. But France was like this before where Lyon were dominant. Marseille before them if I remember right.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s hard to improve the overall quality of a league if it’s just one side beating up on the others and you’re on that dominant side.

For Ligue 1 to improve PSG need more moneybags clubs like them to come about. But France was like this before where Lyon were dominant. Marseille before them if I remember right.

Ligue 1 isn't a nothing league though. It's a myth that PSG is the only good team. There are a few other sides that can pack a punch. Nothing like the Portuguese league where it's just 3 teams

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I see what you are saying, but that's not on PSG if their competition can't keep up. Granted it takes outside investors so if marsielle come into billions as do Lille, Lyon, Bordeaux, etc, then you will have a league similar to the EPL in terms of powerful teams loaded with outside investments. 

I still don't think it's a bad move on Mbappe's part. 

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ligue 1 isn't a nothing league though. It's a myth that PSG is the only good team. There are a few other sides that can pack a punch. Nothing like the Portuguese league where it's just 3 teams

I never said it was a nothing league. But if you want to be a top player, chances are you'd be looking to leave Ligue 1 and get more exposure and play against better sides.

13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The World Cup is going to be ours again @El Profesor :banana:

It took a while to start the engine but now it's clocking triple figure speed and nobody is catching up.

Apart from maybe England.

I don´t think so. We were dominated in the first 20 minutes of the match. Against Belgium that could be very different. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I never said it was a nothing league. But if you want to be a top player, chances are you'd be looking to leave Ligue 1 and get more exposure and play against better sides.

You can be a top player in the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues, never mind Ligue 1. Ideally you'd want to be in a top 5 European league but you don't have to if you want to be a great. I think international football is the best place to prove yourself.

Ligue 1 isn't far off the best leagues though, so either way I politely disagree.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

You can be a top player in the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues, never mind Ligue 1. Ideally you'd want to be in a top 5 European league but you don't have to if you want to be a great. I think international football is the best place to prove yourself.

Ligue 1 isn't far off the best leagues though, so either way I politely disagree.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. It's just my opinion though... but in my books, the mark of a great player, a truly world class one, is someone who routinely impresses at an impressive level. Therefore, your league performances are much more important in determining how good of a player you are than international tournaments. Because club football has players that are working with each other almost every day, playing together week in and week out, they end up with a lot more cohesion. International football, at it's best, is always much sloppier and at a lower standard than top level club football.

International football often has players that are playing in outrageous form because they're running off adrenaline from representing their nation on the world stage... and they can often really impress on the international level, then look totally shite at the club level. Those players, imo, are never top players. Because top players can demonstrate their quality week in and week out. Furthermore, international football is much more reliant on being able to quickly instill a real team ethic and get cohesion in simple tactics - that generally are far too simple to succeed at the club level - and isn't really quite a reflection of how a top player will do in a top side.

Ligue 1 definitely isn't shite, but it's not a top league in Europe imo. And I think if Neymar was seeking individual glory, as well as the ridiculous wages he's got at PSG, then moving to PSG wasn't the right move for him.

Agree to disagree then, but in the last 10 years many players in South America have been very good. Same with the French league. Just a reminder PSG isn't the French team that reached the semi final in the last 6 years. 

We have different views but you don't have to play in Europe to be a great. Football has little logic

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

Agree to disagree then, but in the last 10 years many players in South America have been very good. Same with the French league. Just a reminder PSG isn't the French team that reached the semi final in the last 6 years. 

We have different views but you don't have to play in Europe to be a great. Football has little logic

Name me one world class player who has played the best part of their career in south america in the last 20 years

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Name me one world class player who has played the best part of their career in south america in the last 20 years

Riquelme and Guerrero.

Not that those names will mean a whole lot to you as I can tell that SA footy isn't your cup of tea but both of those will go down as a great in one of if not the most historical continent on the planet

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Name me.one world class player who has played the best part of their career in south america in the last 20 years

Riquelme, arguably.

Marcelo Salas too. He spent his best years at River Plate. Chorri Palacios never played in Europe yet he was arguably better than Nolberto Solano. You really don't need to play in Europe to be a great.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Blue said:

Riquelme and Guerrero.

Not that those names will mean a whole lot to you as I can tell that SA footy isn't your cup of tea but both of those will go down as a great in one of if not the most historical continent on the planet

Guerrero is not world class ffs xD 

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Riquelme and Guerrero.

Yeah but they most of their career in Europe and they are hardly world class. You say about people being biased towards Europe but you are so biased towards south america it's embarrising 

Just now, Stan said:

Guerrero is not world class ffs xD 

He is in my opinion, and most South Americans rate him that high too.

He has peaked here in my opinion, and he did get a chance to impress against a European. He schooled Chelsea in 2012. Not to mention Argentina, Uruguay etc. we may not rely on him now but there was a point in time where it was the end of the world if he got injured.

Riquelme as you mentioned, Salas spent his best years in South America, then there is the likes of Chilavert, Tevez and even Neymar was already world class when he was here

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but they most of their career in Europe and they are hardly world class. You say about people being biased towards Europe but you are so biased towards south america it's embarrising 

I'm not biased at all, I'm just not a European centric dipshit and know my football history. Guerrero wasn't World class when he was in Europe, he peaked much later. Riquelme was good for Villarreal but spent his best years at Boca and schooled Real Madrid when he was at Boca. Neymar while he didn't spend his best years here, was already world class.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm not biased at all, I'm just not a European centric dipshit and know my football history. Guerrero wasn't World class when he was in Europe, he peaked much later. Riquelme was good for Villarreal but spent his best years at Boca and schooled Real Madrid when he was at Boca. Neymar while he didn't spend his best years here, was already world class.

Mate your biased. Embarisingly biased. I'm not euro centric. I like south American teams but they are no where near europe

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

He is in my opinion, and most South Americans rate him that high too.

He has peaked here in my opinion, and he did get a chance to impress against a European. He schooled Chelsea in 2012. Not to mention Argentina, Uruguay etc. we may not rely on him now but there was a point in time where it was the end of the world if he got injured.

Riquelme as you mentioned, Salas spent his best years in South America, then there is the likes of Chilavert, Tevez and even Neymar was already world class when he was here

he's not world class level. even if he did have one great game in 2012 and a few against some international teams.

Riquelme was more world class level and Guerrero is not in that bracket. Neymar is world class level with his achievements. 

Looking at Guerrero's stats, he's a striker. yet in his career he's only ever scored more than 10 goals in a season TWICE. And that's a career spanning 16 years. For me, that's not world class.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Will you be making regular appearances or will you only be posting after we signal you just like Batman? 

I will be posting more frequently now. I'm announcing my return, @Blue, go hide yourself now! :drunk:

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

@Fusion

Is there anything we have here that we can give you so that you can continue your presence mate?

:ph34r:;)

Yeah, give me your love back!:x

• The topic was unpinned

Archived