talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Belgium 3-2 Japan

football forum

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Sol Campbell if Belgium get through and play Brazil in the quarter final the winner will be France :| and then Belgium will get to the final and play England :rofl:

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Belgium vs Japan
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Eco said:

Does Japan really have a chance here?

Realistically, no. But, they weren't supposed to have a chance in their group and they got out. They've also shown they can play very good attack football so its not going to be one way traffic in this one. I think they'll lose but I really really want them to win.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I agree now more than ever Belgium should make a statement. Been in 1st gear so far, time for them to really up the intensity. 

France -v- Uruguay and Brazil -v- Belgium would be a tasty 1/4 on this side of the bracket. 

I can only echo the above. Belgium need to make a statement here. I'm not convinced yet and this is their chance to do just that.

On paper Belgium have arguably the best side remaining in the World Cup - only really Brazil compares, but I think Belgium look better. But from what we've seen, we haven't seen these players step up like we'd expect... as all of you have said.

I don't think realistically Japan have a chance here... BUT I don't think they should be underrated. Most other Asian sides wilt on the World Stage, particularly the Middle Eastern sides that can give the likes of Japan and South Korea fits, but then when they face other international sides they play with fear and imo play within themselves. Japan are different, Japan play like they belong at a World Cup and will try to match anyone pound for pound... even if on paper they don't have any business to do so. They've got plenty of pace and technique.

So on paper, yeah I think Japan will be out to this Belgium. And it should be comfortable for Belgium, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Belgium blow them out of the water. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Japan make this a real fight and maybe even sneak a victory if Belgium don't get out of first gear.

On 7/1/2018 at 09:03, Eco said:

Does Japan really have a chance here?

i think that's what most of us thought on Russia before their game against Spain.   that they'll be rolled over like dough.   but we got a surprise.

as long as japan keeps organized in their defense, the damage won't be that big.   1-0 loss for them should be fair ....

Just now, bozziovai said:

i think that's what most of us thought on Russia before their game against Spain.   that they'll be rolled over like dough.   but we got a surprise.

as long as japan keeps organized in their defense, the damage won't be that big.   1-0 loss for them should be fair ....

Always different when you are the host nation. We've seen Korea get to the semis when host...anything happens when the matches are played on your soil. 

Russia is not Japan, and I think they might be slaughtered. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Always different when you are the host nation. We've seen Korea get to the semis when host...anything happens when the matches are played on your soil. 

Russia is not Japan, and I think they might be slaughtered. 

slaughtered - appropriate word for the samurais :P      but i'm still hoping that won't be the case  :) 

2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

slaughtered - appropriate word for the samurais :P      but i'm still hoping that won't be the case  :) 

If Belgium were boring I'd agree, but they are enjoyable and I don't want to see a Brazil vs Japan match where Japan sets up shop and prays for Penalty Kicks. 

out of boredom i'm watching the brackets ... and there's something of a trend.

the first bracket ---------    the shock bracket.   both argentina and portugal out.

2nd bracket ---  brazil got a 2-0 victory and with this very wide gap between the belgians and the japanese, we might see a similar result.

third bracket --- the penalty shoot out.   

4th bracket -- remains to be seen.

8 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

out of boredom i'm watching the brackets ... and there's something of a trend.

the first bracket ---------    the shock bracket.   both argentina and portugal out.

2nd bracket ---  brazil got a 2-0 victory and with this very wide gap between the belgians and the japanese, we might see a similar result.

third bracket --- the penalty shoot out.   

4th bracket -- remains to be seen.

I doubt many are surprised that France beat Argentina. 

I've not been unimpressed with Belgium to be honest. The ideas are there, and most are ace. There is an understanding within this team. Japan aren't making it easy which is why perhaps it's still at 0-0 but Belgium looks quite good if you ask me.

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Belgium 3-2 Japan
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived