talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Tuesday 3rd July - Colombia 1-1(p) England

football forum

39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Colombia's only had one convincing performance in the tournament so far, against Poland. I think if we play to our best, we're better than Poland, Japan, and Senegal. Play our strongest side and play to our strengths, and I think we can see this one through. But Colombia do have talent and if they play well we could very easily go out.

Any news on James' injury? I hope he's out, even though it's fucked to want someone to be injured.

No news on James. Pékerman said in the post-match press conference that he was very worried, but they still don´t know if he´ll be available. 

Colombia didn´t play well today against Senegal. They were very passive and unimaginative, a totally different exhibtion from Sunday´s, when they looked very strong against Poland. I guess it´s come down to James physical condition. When he´s at his best, he and Juanfer Quintero are capable dictating the rhythm of a match in the midfield. 

Without James, I imagine Pékerman could try a more conservative approach with Sánchez, Uribe, Aguilar, Quintero, Cuadrado in the midfield, and only Falcao upfront. After the 1st match, Mina replaced Murillo in central defence and since then Colombia hasn´t conceded a goal. So, it won´t be easy to score them. 

England is the favorite here, especially if James doesn´t play, but this is a dangerous team. England will have to watch out Juanfer Quintero, he will be the link in the midfield trying to make the most out of Cuadrado speed and skill, and Falcao´s striker instinct. And also take extra care with Yerri Mina in set pieces. The big man is a huge threat. He used to score tons of goals in brazilian football and he already scored 2 in this World Cup. 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me I would definitely start Rose for this one, think he gave us a lot more down the left and a far more direct play.

Only real question for me is Alli or Loftus-Cheek. I think Ruben has more than earned his spot, maybe Alli for Sterling?

17 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

For me I would definitely start Rose for this one, think he gave us a lot more down the left and a far more direct play.

Only real question for me is Alli or Loftus-Cheek. I think Ruben has more than earned his spot, maybe Alli for Sterling?

I think Loftus-Cheek left a lot to be desired to today, had a chance to really break through but we didn't see many of his runs. I'd still go with Alli if he's fully fit.

Agree with Rose, looked much better than against Panama.

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have a child - I need to be more careful. 

Mate I'm a few beers in and everyone thinks England are gonna win the world cup. Cut me some slack :D

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate I'm a few beers in and everyone thinks England are gonna win the world cup. Cut me some slack :D

You should cheer for the States where no one expects us to win it ever, and therefore there are ZERO expectations xD

This year I got to choose my team after @Cannabis shafted me with Saudi Arabia. Vive la France!

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

You should cheer for the States where no one expects us to win it ever, and therefore there are ZERO expectations xD

This year I got to choose my team after @Cannabis shafted me with Saudi Arabia. Vive la France!

USA will win the world cup.

Women's world cup

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Danny said:

I think Loftus-Cheek left a lot to be desired to today, had a chance to really break through but we didn't see many of his runs. I'd still go with Alli if he's fully fit.

Agree with Rose, looked much better than against Panama.

I sometimes wonder what game you watch and if it's the same one as everyone else. 

Thought Rose looked shite if I’m honest. Took some weird kind of cricket bridge stance to let Januzaj walk past him and curl one in. Great defending.

Loftus-Cheek was refreshingly different with some powerful runs and seemed to have a presence out there. 

Rose is good at running up and down the left and that looks impressive but he rarely does anything with it. Young is a smarter player and should probably start ahead of him. Wouldn't change too much from our starting XI but maybe bring in Loftus-Cheek.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Rose is good at running up and down the left and that looks impressive but he rarely does anything with it. Young is a smarter play and should probably start ahead of him. Wouldn't change too much from our starting XI but maybe bring in Loftus-Cheek.

He wants to be Marcelo. Except he doesn’t attack as well and has the same defensive attributes. Which is none.

Some positive signs from England so far and you can see the influence Steve Holland has had on the team from his time at Chelsea. There's a slight variation but the tactics and style of play is very similar to what Chelsea have been doing the last few years. Nice to at least see we have a system in place, with players who for the most part suit that system as well which has been a big problem for England over the last decade or so. What is more, we are also playing a more progressive style of football.

The back five and goalkeeper are essential really for this team. The Belgium game for me was a write off given there was nothing to play for and given the amount of changes for each team. My biggest worry though is what is going to happen when that base of the back five finds itself under significant pressure which was also a big part of Chelsea's downfall as well. At the moment, the system England play has its roots in the back five, not only in terms of defence but in terms of build up play as well. Southgate has even admitted that the change came because it would allow England to play out of the back with more ease and insurance. At the moment for the most part we have an overload in that area of the pitch, even with some pressure we always have an extra player free which is what Southgate was alluding at. That combined with the movement in front allows us to transition and it's like a ripple effect which spreads confidence to the rest of the team, this is the system's descent and origins. What happens when the opposition attack those origins at source? This is the difficulty Chelsea had and like I say it was one of the reasons for our downfall, with of course Conte's politics not helping as well. 

Henderson has a key role as well as he's often tasked with the duty to drop deep and start attacks, Henderson has his moments but he's not particularly a player I trust playing under pressure. What happens when teams cut off the passing options, push high and play aggressively? That back five and Henderson have had some trouble playing out already and they haven't been put under significant pressure yet. This could ultimately be where we live and die. And it will be case of whether Southgate and the team have answers to that. I just watched back the Tunisia game today as I missed it because of work (luckily on the night, saw the last ten minutes and Kane's winner) and Keown (of all people) made an interesting comment towards the end of the game in which he said the system almost looks 'manufactured'. And watching Chelsea for the past two seasons (and this England team is very similar to Chelsea by the way), Keown is bang on the money there. 

The comments I've just made contradict what I opened this post with. England need a system, they need instruction, they need a playing style, don't get me wrong. However, any system is going to come under pressure at some point and good teams will find the answers and overcome the difficulties. Will England be capable of this? That's the million dollar question and I'd be very surprised if they do.

21 hours ago, Stan said:

I sometimes wonder what game you watch and if it's the same one as everyone else. 

Other than that free kick he didn't do a whole lot? Not enough to push his way into the team anyway.

Same can be said for you over not ring able to slate Maguire but swings and roundabouts 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Other than that free kick he didn't do a whole lot? Not enough to push his way into the team anyway.

Same can be said for you over not ring able to slate Maguire but swings and roundabouts 

Haha you know I actually realised he had a poor game that time in the end but yeah, whatever floats your boat. 

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Any win from here on in should be celebrated like we've won the thing by the fans. Given how even the teams are in this section of the route to the final every advancement is a massive step forwards.

Open top parade if we reach the quarter final ;)

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Tuesday 3rd July - Colombia 1-1(p) England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived