talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Tuesday 3rd July - Colombia 1-1(p) England

football forum

Woke up at 5am, in the pub by half past, bacon sarnies and OJ on the table. 40 minutes late for work and got a cheer when I walked in, not a bad Wednesday morning.

Fully deserved win, probably should have done it before penalties but beggars can't be choosers. Harry Kane, I don't think anyone will call him a bottler anytime soon. Scored 5 penalties already.

It was a tough game and a close one in fairness, but I thought for 90 minutes we were the better side. Clear as day penalty, you can't wrestle players like that anywhere, especially in the box. Extra time was split down the middle, first 15 minutes was a poor reaction to their equaliser and probably summed up by Stones' misplaced pass to Rose that went off for a throw in. But we came out the second half and between Rose and Vardy could have scored a winner.

I don't care that we're not scoring from open play, there's a goal in us somewhere there. We're not a direct team, no hoofball, yet Southgate has focused on set pieces to the point we're very likely to score or get a penalty. Defensively we have been solid and I imagine if we do beat Sweden it will be a tight 1-0 or 2-1 win.

Pickford was class when needed, Trippier again class and proving Southgate's selection spot on. Walker taking to the centre back role even if at times it's evident that it's not his natural position. Stones solid and Maguire stepped up his performance from the first two, looked the complete opposite of a weak link today.

Though Alli was error prone and gave the ball away, though did win some good fouls. I'd probably not go with him for the Sweden game.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I agree with the “better team” shouts. I thought on the basis of 120 minutes of Football, Colombia shaded the second half and were the better team in extra time. That said, England of 2002-2017 would have folded and conceded again or lost on penalties. 

Defensively, I feel like we’re an accident waiting to happen still. There’s been some warning signs in games in this tournament but we’re yet to really make a gaffe and I feel it’s coming. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not sure I agree with the “better team” shouts. I thought on the basis of 120 minutes of Football, Colombia shaded the second half and were the better team in extra time. That said, England of 2002-2017 would have folded and conceded again or lost on penalties. 

Defensively, I feel like we’re an accident waiting to happen still. There’s been some warning signs in games in this tournament but we’re yet to really make a gaffe and I feel it’s coming. 

Colombia definitely weren't the better team in the second half of extra time. Put us under pressure in the last 20 or so of normal time...better team is a fair shout, not by a lot but still better. Probably about 70-80 minutes or so of the game in our favour.

Just now, Danny said:

Colombia definitely weren't the better team in the second half of extra time. Put us under pressure in the last 20 or so of normal time...better team is a fair shout, not by a lot but still better. Probably about 70-80 minutes or so of the game in our favour.

I thought they were the better side. England did little and Colombia, to me, looked more threatening. England offered little but I think both were probably more committed to defending at that stage. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I thought they were the better side. England did little and Colombia, to me, looked more threatening. England offered little but I think both were probably more committed to defending at that stage. 

Colombia offered little also. Shut out for most of the game and forced one good save from Pickford unless I'm forgetting anything? A good goal and deserved goal simply for the quality of it. But no Colombia offered less than we did, should have been a man down, and tbh we deserved a penalty in the first half that wasn't given. Can't remember exactly but a push on Kane I think in open play. Foul anywhere else on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Colombia offered little also. Shut out for most of the game and forced one good save from Pickford unless I'm forgetting anything? A good goal and deserved goal simply for the quality of it. But no Colombia offered less than we did, should have been a man down, and tbh we deserved a penalty in the first half that wasn't given. Can't remember exactly but a push on Kane I think in open play. Foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Colombia had more of the ball IMO and controlled it better than England did.

So, it should have been ten-a-side then? Henderson clearly stuck the head in on some Colombian, so he should have gone as well then, yeah?

11 hours ago, Blue said:

I said it at the start and I've been proven right.

12 hours ago, Blue said:

I absolutely nailed it.

12 hours ago, Blue said:

Yep - I'm watching with my cousin and said that Mina is about to score.

12 hours ago, Blue said:

I called it.

Dear Lord! you must have RSI from patting yourself on the back so often

5 hours ago, BartraPique1932 said:

Has anybody pointed out yet how penalties are all about luck and Colombia hit the bar and how it's all so unfair?

Germany have had a lot of fucking luck then 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived