The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Tuesday 3rd July - Colombia 1-1(p) England

football forum

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Why do you think he’s intelligent mate?

I say this with all honesty becauae if I bring up a massive list of what I categorise as stupidity with Maradona, where do we stand?

Where’s the thin line between being uncultured and either ignorant or thick. 

Because of his career. You don´t become the best player of your generation if you´re dumb. When you have less than a second to choose what´s the best deicison you take with the ball, you need to be a very smart individual to find the best solution. 

I´ve known some footballers who had tons of ability and were physically gifted. I had hopes. I won´t reveal their names, but I can say that some of these guys didn´t turn into stars because they were dumb. I´m not joking, like, they were very dumb and that was it kept them from being top footballers. 

I don´t expect a guy from Villa Fiorito to be a Jorge Valdano or a Tostão. But that doesn´t mean he isn´t smart. 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

I don´t expect a guy from Villa Fiorito to be a Jorge Valdano or a Tostão. But that doesn´t mean he isn´t smart. 

Please tell me more about this, I'm genuinely interested mate.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Please tell me more about this, I'm genuinely interested mate.

Diego comes from the very bottom of argentinian society. He had it rough when he was young and he had to toughen up to survive.  You either do that or you´re mocked by your friends. 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Diego comes from the very bottom of argentinian society. He had it rough when he was young and he had to toughen up to survive.  You either do that or you´re mocked by your friends. 

I thought you were gonna give me some stuff on other players in similar situations mate. 

On the intelligence you seem to be talking about though, I can’t agree there mate... On pitch intelligence is one thing, but general intelligence is another. I actually know someone from a terribly poor background and upbringing. Yet he made himself a millionaire and made sure the opportunities he took in life were the correct ones and mixing with people along the way that would only better him...

Maradona’s opinions (without going into the way he manifests them because that is down to being uncultured) are those of someone that doesn’t understand what the correct options are which is intelligence.

His football career has given him the opportunities to meet and relate with all the people he could’ve wanted and yet on the whole he’s chosen criminals or mad people. 

20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I thought you were gonna give me some stuff on other players in similar situations mate. 

On the intelligence you seem to be talking about though, I can’t agree there mate... On pitch intelligence is one thing, but general intelligence is another. I actually know someone from a terribly poor background and upbringing. Yet he made himself a millionaire and made sure the opportunities he took in life were the correct ones and mixing with people along the way that would only better him...

Maradona’s opinions (without going into the way he manifests them because that is down to being uncultured) are those of someone that doesn’t understand what the correct options are which is intelligence.

His football career has given him the opportunities to meet and relate with all the people he could’ve wanted and yet on the whole he’s chosen criminals or mad people. 

Carlos Tévez and Juan Román Riquelme also come from similar social backgrounds. And this is probably why Boca fans are so identified with those players. 

Maradona´s opinion on the Colombia match are not due to a lack of intelligence though. They´re guided by hate. Maradona hates England, as most argentinian patriots do. xD

DhNXn61X4AAU-5r.jpg:large

2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Carlos Tévez and Juan Román Riquelme also come from similar social backgrounds. And this is probably why Boca fans are so identified with those players. 

Maradona´s opinion on the Colombia are not due to a lack of intelligence though. They´re guided by hate. Maradona hates England, as most argentinian patriots do. xD

DhNXn61X4AAU-5r.jpg:large

There are hundreds but do you remember the “Chupamela” outburst?

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There are hundreds but do you remember the “Chupamela” outburst?

I don´t. 

A short story about argentinean nationalism. I think you´ll like, Antoñito. 

Firstly, only clueless people think Brazil and Argentina are rivals outside football. Argentina have others geopolitical rivals and it´s not us. xD Far from it.  But there is an interesting aspect in argentinean nationalism that from the outside is very clear: the inconformism about the Falklands War is an important factor of national identity. Even the most leftist argentinean, who hates Galtieri, will give you a passionate answer about it. 

My brother-in-law is from a town that borders Argentina (he even roots for Argentina in the World Cup, ugh). And I usually go there and when I´m there we generally cross the border to buy some stuff. And when you enter the argentian territory there is a huge outdoor written: "Las Malvinas son argentinas!". I mean, this is Misiones, a distant and poor province, and there it is, that outdoor.

8 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I don´t. 

A short story about argentinean nationalism. I think you´ll like, Antoñito. 

Firstly, only clueless people think Brazil and Argentina are rivals outside football. Argentina have others geopolitical rivals and it´s not us. xD Far from it.  But there is an interesting aspect in argentinean nationalism that from the outside is very clear: the inconformism about the Falklands War is an important factor of national identity. Even the most leftist argentinean, who hates Galtieri, will give you a passionate answer about it. 

My brother-in-law is from a town that borders Argentina (he even roots for Argentina in the World Cup, ugh). And I usually go there and when I´m there we generally cross the border to buy some stuff. And when you enter the argentian territory there is a huge outdoor written: "Las Malvinas son argentinas!". I mean, this is Misiones, a distant and poor province, and there it is, that outdoor.

Yeah I know quite a bit about this too as I have family in Buenos Aires (3rd generation already) and their sentiments towards Britain (mainly England) is extreme. I remember on one of my visits there (I haven’t been in a long while now) during my mid 20s I was introduced to a distant cousin I hadn’t ever met from my family out there and because they know me as “El Inglés”  he didn’t shake my hand and just nodded. Thankfully later on that evening he began to warm to me as I had been cracking a few extremely crap jokes and he brought me a glass of wine but the first thing he said to me as he handed it over was... “No se habla de politica, ok!” Which was fine with me as I hate debating that subject to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Didn't know that :ay:thanks. Three xeneize legends 🐐 I know the family needed help paying the medical bills, but out of curiosity did Lionel grew up as poor? 

I don´t know. @SirBalon must know. But at least he´s not from the poorest areas of Buenos Aires, like those players mentioned, Messi is from Rosario.

Football is instinctive. It does not require actual intellect. That said football does churn out its fair share of smart cookies. 

Maradona is an ignorant fool and definitely not anyone i regard as intelligent. 

9 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Didn't know that :ay:thanks. Three xeneize legends 🐐 I know the family needed help paying the medical bills, but out of curiosity did Lionel grew up as poor? 

Messi is from Rosario and although the area is a mix of classes, the Messi family is from a working class background. Although not poor to the levels of Maradona or Pelé, they weren't rolling in money and the family is more cultured for sure.  I remember reading once that because Messi's dad couldn't afford to pay to watch his son, so he (Messi's father, Jorge) searched for a club that had free entrance to watch the kids play and that tells you how much money there may have been to spare.

'El Gráfico' may not exist anymore and the link I'm about to give you isn't the whole piece I read in the physical magazine form I still have at home (I used to collect it), but it does contain some interesting things you guys may want to read from his early childhood in Argentina before moving to Spain very early. 

I think @El Profesor might be interested to read it as well. 

https://www.elgrafico.com.ar/2010/07/19/C-2928-vida-y-obra-de-lionel-messi.php

Archived