talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Minnesota United's Collin Martin comes out as gay

football forum

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Much like pink everything with breast cancer awarness? 

Pretty much - but comparing sexuality to a disease is disingenuous and people could misconstrue your comparison as calling homosexuality as a disease, so I'd be careful using that sort of language if I were you. Breast cancer awareness is also kinda bad, and let me explain. Breast cancer awareness is incredibly saturated into the zeitgeist, their is breast cancer everything, it gets more exposure than any other illness, to the point where other illnesses fall to the wayside. There is a reason why you mentioned breast cancer awareness, and not prostate cancer or anything else, it's because it's the most popular. Prostate cancer kills more men than breast cancer kills men and women; and that is a fact. How many institutions wear blue? How many people actually know what 'no shave November' actually is? How many women get mammograms to men getting prostate exams? Men are much more ashamed to get their bums fingered than a woman is getting her boobs rubbed down. 

If someone doesn't believe that Breast cancer exists, let them you can't make someone believe something only give them the tools to reach that conclusion on their own, imagine the ruckus caused by someone refusing to wear pink. Hopefully they'd be educated about it especially since it is a hard science. Cancer unlike sexuality doesn't have religious connotations or cultural connotations (there are religions that would circumvent modern medical science however), cancer in general is the same across the board and isn't interpreted differently, unlike homosexuality (for better or worse).  

Pretending that we are all tolerant and happy to hold hands is a band-aide over the problem, not a solution. I'd rather sincere tolerance, than fear of reprisal causing people to make lip-service. 

https://www.cancer.org/research/currently-funded-cancer-research/grants-by-cancer-type.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/prostate-cancer-kills-people-breast-cancer-first-time-new-figures/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Spike said:

Pretty much - but comparing sexuality to a disease is disingenuous and people could misconstrue your comparison as calling homosexuality as a disease, so I'd be careful using that sort of language if I were you. Breast cancer awareness is als

You know I'm not doing that nor was it my point.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I think it is over the top to make players wear the rainbow captain's armband, or rainbow everything, especially if it's not their choice. You can't make people care, and pretending to care is bad. I'd much rather have people actively choose to support a cause than pay lipservice or roll with the punches.

The players themselves don't have to care for it to have some form of positive impact. Footballers are billboards these days.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

You don't have to. Like I said, you can tolerate something but don't have to accept it. 

Gay Pride parade for example. I can tolerate it because it is their right to do so, but it's not something I accept given your scenario above (something I agree with you actually). 

Eliminating intolerance of homosexuality should be the goal 

I'm similar in a way with it comes to transgender. Don't personally have anything against people who claim they are but I just don't see how you possibly can be.

22 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

The players themselves don't have to care for it to have some form of positive impact. Footballers are billboards these days.

I know but I think sincerity does go a long way.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'm similar in a way with it comes to transgender. Don't personally have anything against people who claim they are but I just don't see how you possibly can be.

I think transgender goes deeply in hand with mental illness. There should be programs to help people make the right decisions and work through whatever trauma they may have gone through as opposed going straight to extreme hormone therapy and surgeries. It is incredibly sad reading about people that have lived to regret their transitions and comitted suicide. I think we've come a long way in accepting people to the point where we are too scared to ask the tough questions which couod save people's lives.

We are all humans and we all need personal solutions tailored to each of our problems. 

Cicero was plain and simple comparing the wear pink movement (like in the nfl) with the wear rainbow colours in MLS. How anyone could even try and imply he was trying to say homosexuality is a disease is completely fucking beyond me.

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Cicero was plain and simple comparing the wear pink movement (like in the nfl) with the wear rainbow colours in MLS. How anyone could even try and imply he was trying to say homosexuality is a disease is completely fucking beyond me.

I didn't though, I said people could do that and then people did. I was warning him FFS! xD

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

So you wouldn't care!? Can...can you call me dad then?

I don't know man. With genes and all, I'd prefer my dad to be good looking. 

oooooooooooooooooh

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Spike said:

I think it is over the top to make players wear the rainbow captain's armband, or rainbow everything, especially if it's not their choice. You can't make people care, and pretending to care is bad. I'd much rather have people actively choose to support a cause than pay lipservice or roll with the punches.

I agree with that as well. I'm a bit fed up of the governing bodies in football with their absolute pseudo campaigns against things like racism and homophobia. I think they're damaging if anything.

From a footballing perspective it obviously makes no difference and there's no need for him to "come out" as gay but from a social point of view it does make a difference and from his own personal point of view, it's probably annoying that fans and the press just assume you're straight if you're not. 

I will say though, the rainbow flag is ugly as hell.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I agree with that as well. I'm a bit fed up of the governing bodies in football with their absolute pseudo campaigns against things like racism and homophobia. I think they're damaging if anything.

What does FIFA or anyone else do besides say 'kick racism out of football' Yeah it is a nice slogan but do they actually do anything outside of that? Do they run programs or try to reach out to people?

Do they just put the façade of caring on?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

What does FIFA or anyone else do besides say 'kick racism out of football' Yeah it is a nice slogan but do they actually do anything outside of that? Do they run programs or try to reach out to people?

Do they just put the façade of caring on?

Totally, UEFA I think I can pinpoint more examples of their hypocrisy - I'm sure they dished out a bigger fine to a club who made some mistake in their advertising than they did to a club who's fans were being racist. That they're preaching anti-racism while showing obvious disregard for it makes the whole thing hard to take seriously. I just can't listen to fake people or organisations.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Most players would be okay with pink awarenes (fair assumption) but would that be case for players being forced to wear the rainbow colors? Maybe a club but not a national team! By forcefully trying to seek public acceptance for your sexual preference via a sport, you are disregarding the same freedom rights of the other players.. regardless of how you feel about the topic, forcing someone to do something in the name of pushing a political agenda is straight up WRONG.

Leave religion, sexuality, and racism out of the game please. It's not that complex

How, exactly? The other (straight) players still have the 'freedom rights' of being straight. Wearing rainbow colours won't change their own sexuality - maybe they want to wear them to show support for their team mate whether it's national or club level, just a thought xD

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Fair enough. Good on him for having the courage to do so.

Wonder when the day will be that this news is just normal and not actually any fuss about it.

actually, these gays are the one who's making a big issue out of this all.    why do you have to publicly announce your sexuality ??       if you're straight, fine.   if you're gay, fine.   just be professional to whatever job you have, in his case, a football player.

the world would only give it attention if they say --- MY TEAM MATES AND I JUST HAD A BUTT-FUCKING ORGY.   now, that would be headline news :D :D  

Archived