• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - Friday 6th July - Uruguay 0-2 France

football forum

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

France did what was necessary today and Uruguay not having Cavani up top hurt them a lot as well. So many balls were just crossed into a box that had just one striker and the French defenders literally had nothing to do. Instead of holding onto the ball and controlling the game Uruguay just handed the ball over needlessly and in the end a goalkeeping error helped ease the pressure.

The better team went through today.

36 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Gary Neville being an idiot for the second goal. Pretending the ball didn't curl away to Muslera's right.

It didn't. It was a straight forward save

Anti-climating game after Muslera did a Karius....just as Uruguay were growing in the game.

France can be very lucky if some players pick up yellows in Brazil-Belgium match. Neymar, Coutinho, De Bruyne, etc all one yellow away from suspension and missing the semis

13 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It didn't. It was a straight forward save

Find the behind the goal camera angle and it's obvious that it was initially going to where Muslera went. It spun off slightly late on which meant him and his hands were fucked. Still should've done better but it definitely wasn't straight all the way.

24 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Find the behind the goal camera angle and it's obvious that it was initially going to where Muslera went. It spun off slightly late on which meant him and his hands were fucked. Still should've done better but it definitely wasn't straight all the way.

I have seen it again. There is a bit of a bend but not much. To be fair to Neville it is hard to see depending on your angle.

11 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

The better team won today BUT that what a tournament by Uruguay. I agree with Diego Forlan that the best for Uruguay is for El maestro to stay. 

It's a shame in some senses that all the best teams were on this side of the draw to be honest. Whatever happens now, I can't see anything other than France or Brazil winning it, with Belgium having a chance of spoiling the party.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's a shame in some senses that all the best teams were on this side of the draw to be honest. Whatever happens now, I can't see anything other than France or Brazil winning it, with Belgium having a chance of spoiling the party.

Have some faith. Its coming home.

Interesting to hear what a decent keeper has to say about it rather than the commentary team (neither of whom were keepers) shouting "Just catch it. What's so hard about catching a ball?".

24 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Pepe Reina not happy about the quality of modern balls and how their trajectories change, making it harder for goalkeepers. 

Reina and Casillas have had that complaint for years. I remember Casillas and him being pissed off about the balls when Pepe was still at Liverpool, which seems like an eternity ago now.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Reina and Casillas have had that complaint for years. I remember Casillas and him being pissed off about the balls when Pepe was still at Liverpool, which seems like an eternity ago now.

Probably the best keeper you've had in the past 20 years.

4 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Probably the best keeper you've had in the past 20 years.

No doubt about it, Pepe Reina is the best keeper we've had in ages tbh. Best we've had since Grobelaar (who's the only reason I can't say Pepe is the best we've had in my lifetime). Rodgers forcing him out for Mignolet, despite Reina's fall in form, was stupid imo. Still never adequately replaced by us in my eyes.

• The topic was unpinned
On 07/07/2018 at 01:48, Machado said:

Never seen a player cry before the final whistle... while still playing.

neither. Thought it was strange tbh. Defeat had been accepted with 10 minutes to go. 

It goes without saying that its a shame that Cavani couldnt play, but I was very impressed with France. This was there first major test and they put in arguably there best performance so far. The first goal from Varane was something they had clearly worked on in training and it was executed to perfection.

People have described them as boring this tournament, but I prefer the phase disciplined and organised. When they have taken the lead against Australia and Peru they ensured that they were right and organised so they wouldnt. They showed phenomenal character against Argentina and really dictated the game against Uruguary. They're a deserved semi finalist and quite rightly the favourites to win the whole thing.

On 07/07/2018 at 03:54, Dr. Gonzo said:

No doubt about it, Pepe Reina is the best keeper we've had in ages tbh. Best we've had since Grobelaar (who's the only reason I can't say Pepe is the best we've had in my lifetime). Rodgers forcing him out for Mignolet, despite Reina's fall in form, was stupid imo. Still never adequately replaced by us in my eyes.

Migs for Pepe and Lovren for Agger were both pretty poor moves where a lot of love, passion and leadership were moved on from the club... 

39 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've always felt that Agger was one of the most underrated players in Liverpool's moden history.

He could walk into any team for me.

Not sure if you're being serious mate. He was a good servant of the club and part of the era we consistently had the best defence in the league. 

until VVD I'd have taken him ahead of all the players we've signed since him. 

On 06/07/2018 at 16:52, Gunnersauraus said:

France will win the world cup for me. Not played great but done enough to beat a very good side. At the same time they can play very attacking football like they did against Argentina 

Just saying 

Archived