talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Solo Para Los Que Hablan Español

football forum

On 17/03/2019 at 18:39, Rafa Beneathus said:

Probably but some kind of abusive post in here at some point (sorry Brian!), but last week started to learn Spanish. Watched a few videos on YouTube and using an app called Duolingo that was recommended to me by someone at work. 

Anyone who has learned a language, how long does it tend to take to become semi-fluent at it? 

@nudge and I have spoken at great length on this very topic. 

I have always been in love with languages, and the best advice I can give is to just keep with it, and make your life about that language. I was taught Russian as a child, and learned Spanish to a workable degree on my own. In college I became fluent in Latin. 

Since then, I've worked on French and Arabic. But doing this is requiring me to make my life about these languages. I listen to French radio while in the car, watching movies in French, put sticky notes all over my house with what they are written in French. I also found a French group near me that I try to stay in touch with as much as possible and use French only. 

Arabic is a little tougher of course since it's completely unique to anything I know, but it's a similar process I'm taking, just...slower. 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Eco said:

@nudge and I have spoken at great length on this very topic. 

I have always been in love with languages, and the best advice I can give is to just keep with it, and make your life about that language. I was taught Russian as a child, and learned Spanish to a workable degree on my own. In college I became fluent in Latin. 

Since then, I've worked on French and Arabic. But doing this is requiring me to make my life about these languages. I listen to French radio while in the car, watching movies in French, put sticky notes all over my house with what they are written in French. I also found a French group near me that I try to stay in touch with as much as possible and use French only. 

Arabic is a little tougher of course since it's completely unique to anything I know, but it's a similar process I'm taking, just...slower. 

Cheers for the tips. 

When I get to a level where I understand the language enough I’m definitely going to do what you suggest with radio and films.

Literally been doing it for a week or so now so not long at all really, still learning the basics.

11 hours ago, Berserker said:

Well first off my mum taught me a little since child and i also went to bilingual schools for the most part and i was quite good at it as well as with the other subjects. In one of the schools we even got an English teacher that was actually English for a while, she was a lovely woman in her 60s i'd say, think she was from London and i got along extremely well with her, can't remember if it was only for a few months or a year or two but she suddenly left, don't know if she went back to the UK or if the poor woman passed away as i'm not sure but i think i had heard something. And then years later maybe i played a few online games with Anglo folks then i joined some football forums for a while and lastly ended up in TFF as you know and having been here/there for 9 years now in a regular basis i got to practice a lot and @The Rebel CRS helped as well as we would often talk in both languages so we both got better at the other's mother tongue. That's basically it mate.

Class.

• Subscriber
On 18/03/2019 at 05:39, Rafa Beneathus said:

Probably but some kind of abusive post in here at some point (sorry Brian!), but last week started to learn Spanish. Watched a few videos on YouTube and using an app called Duolingo that was recommended to me by someone at work. 

Anyone who has learned a language, how long does it tend to take to become semi-fluent at it? 

You might want to check out this thread too: 

There's plenty of good advice there when it comes to learning a new language but you basically have it figured out yourself already - learn the basics of the language and then get to listening/speaking practice as soon as possible. As for how long it takes, I'd say it mostly depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it. Personally, Spanish took me two years; we had classes 5 days x 1 hour a week (+ additional practice at home) and each level course went on for 6 months (there were 4 in total). Spanish is not a hard language to learn; you'll be fine!

@Rafa Beneathus I'm not sure if this counts but I learned English by 6 years old.  Of course at a young age it's different especially when I had little choice, but it took me 6-7 months to be able to speak fluently.

On 17/03/2019 at 22:39, Rafa Beneathus said:

It all depends on how much time and effort you put in mate. Also how good your memory is.

I stopped bothering after about 4 years of it as I couldn't be arsed. It's rustier now, although I still remember alot and actually used it quite a bit in Dam when I was there last month. It was full of Spanish speakers and even the Brazilians I was chilling with understood my Spanish perfectly. They were the soundest people on the trip by far for the record. Brazilians have got to be the friendliest people in the world from personal experiences! @El Profesor

Full of Spanish speakers there though, it felt like being in Spain(minus the weather) on that trip. Even in coffeshop "Abraxas", they were all Spanish birds working behind the bar. 

Also a lot of South Americans there, especially down De Pijp market. I had a little convo with an Argentine down there and he understood me fine, so I can still speak it well enough but sometimes forget words and expressions. I suppose reading it in nearly every day helps though as I'm always reading Marca.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Sí, es un grandísimo rapper, que está al nivel de los mejores que 'rapean' en inglés, ya sea de Estados Unidos o Inglaterra. Los de Francia también son muy buenos.

Seguro, aunque no creo conocer ningun ingles ni frances, solo yankees, a nach y algun otro español jaja.

Just now, Berserker said:

Seguro, aunque no creo conocer ningun ingles ni frances, solo yankees, a nach y algun otro español jaja.

Los rappers de Inglaterra son bastante diferentes a los yanquis y tienen un estilo muy único y acento distinto. Por bueno me sorprende que no conozcas ningún ingles ya que aquí en Inglaterra hay muchos, especialmente en Londres, Birmingham y Manchester.

2 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Los rappers de Inglaterra son bastante diferentes a los yanquis y tienen un estilo muy único y acento distinto. Por bueno me sorprende que no conozcas ningún ingles ya que aquí en Inglaterra hay muchos, especialmente en Londres, Birmingham y Manchester.

Me imagino, podrias pasar alguno para ver que onda Chrissy. ^_^

On 28/07/2019 at 20:50, Berserker said:

Me imagino, podrias pasar alguno para ver que onda Chrissy. ^_^

Estoy seguro de que ya te lo envié a ti hace un par de años, pero buena canción:-

Este tío es de la misma parte de Londrés que @SirBalon, Hackney.

y aquí tienes a Ghetts:-

Como ya te dije, es muy diferente al hip hop de Estados Unidios, por eso a mi me gustan ambos.

On 28/07/2019 at 21:17, Teso dos Bichos said:

Qué asco hombre!

Conoces a Akil Amar de México?

45 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Soy de Islington amigo, aunque he tenido negocios en el ayuntamiento de Hackney y por eso creo que te has equivocado. xD

Jamás podría vivir en Hackney, es demasiado violento para mi gusto. Aunque conozco a varias personas que considero amigos y viven en Hackney como Idris Elba, Alfie Allen y su hermana Lilly Allen.

8 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Me parece muy sospechoso que hayas tenido negocios en Hackey porque los únicos que ocurren ahí son ilegales :ph34r:.

y no sabia yo que eras amigo de Alfie y Lilly Allen. Cada día se aprende algo nuevo y no dejas de sorprenderme xD

Mejor dicho, Stoke Newington aunque eso es parte del ayuntamiento de Hackney hoy en día.

Conocí a Alfie a través de un amigo en común hace años antes de se hiciera famoso y luego su hermana unos meses después. Su hermana es muy, pero que muy fuerte de carácter.  

5 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Estoy seguro de que ya te lo envié a ti hace un par de años, pero buena canción:-

y aquí tienes a Ghetts:-

Como ya te dije, es muy diferente al hip hop de Estados Unidios, por eso a mi me gustan ambos.

Qué asco hombre!

Conoces a Akil Amar de México?

El primero estuvo joya.

28 minutes ago, Berserker said:

El primero estuvo joya.

Sin duda. La mejor canción del hip hop Británico de todos los tiempos en mi opinión.

Es un gran Rapper Klashenkoff, aunque a mi me gusta más el grupo 'Phi Life Cypher'. Hay poca gente, incluso en Inglaterra, que los conozca pero son increíbles.

21 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Sin duda. La mejor canción del hip hop Británico de todos los tiempos en mi opinión.

Es un gran Rapper Klashenkoff, aunque a mi me gusta más el grupo 'Phi Life Cypher'. Hay poca gente, incluso en Inglaterra, que los conozca pero son increíbles.

Es el Snoop Dog ingles jaja.

• 1 month later...

Archived