talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Open Note to Mexico

1 hour ago, Eco said:

@Teso dos Bichos -

Osorio's post game was very interesting, very Klinnsman like in saying that if the NT is going to improve, more players need to head to Europe. 

Agree? 

Don't take my word from Mexico point of view, but back in 2015 I began telling family and friends that if Peru want to qualify for the World Cup, the players need to be in South America or Mexico, because in Europe they get little game time. Ideally at Brazil or Argentina. I was spot on as that's what happened after the 2016 Copa America and we qualified for the World Cup, I think Klinsmann was correct at the time he said that but now the MLS is much improved, and the players are OK where they are.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Blue said:

Don't take my word from Mexico point of view, but back in 2015 I began telling family and friends that if Peru want to qualify for the World Cup, the players need to be in South America or Mexico, because in Europe they get little game time. Ideally at Brazil or Argentina. I was spot on as that's what happened after the 2016 Copa America and we qualified for the World Cup, I think Klinsmann was correct at the time he said that but now the MLS is much improved, and the players are OK where they are.

That’s not just with players from other continents. The same goes on the domestic scene here in Europe with very young seemingly talented players leaving their home clubs and even worse, their league chasing fame and fortune to then either stay in academies, loaned out for what seems forever or playing bit parts at best.

Not only has that destroyed an a immense amount of young European talent in the past three decades, but has also gone on to destroy once great clubs and leagues in some cases. 

2 hours ago, Eco said:

@Teso dos Bichos -

Osorio's post game was very interesting, very Klinnsman like in saying that if the NT is going to improve, more players need to head to Europe. 

Agree? 

I don't think there's anything controversial about what he's said. If more players in the national team are playing in better leagues regularly, the likelihood that the national team is better is much higher. I like Liga MX, it's an entertaining league and it's got an appreciation for more than just the ultra-physical style of play that permeates the MLS; there's lots of technically adept players in the league. But so much of the Mexican national side play in Liga MX or MLS and the standard of those leagues has them less ready to take on players that are used to a higher level of competition and have more physical stamina. Mexico started really well against Brazil. But they very rapidly tired out - they can play good stuff, but not as consistently and for a full match against top quality opposition.

Playing in bigger leagues in Europe (or at a big Argentinian/Brazilian side) with more of a balance between technical ability & physicality as opposed to MLS or Liga MX would go a long way for the Mexican national team. Same with the US side really. Also Iran. And Saudi Arabia. Probably Australia too. Also South Korea and Japan. And pretty much every national team that's in a similar situation.

Look at Denmark, Sweden, or Croatia - good players and good sides, Denmark have 2 players from their domestic league. Sweden have no players playing in Sweden. Only Croatia's 3rd choice keeper plays in Croatia.

5 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Thanks mate.. I'll take beating Germany over losing to Denmark any day. 

But you lost to Denmark xD

Archived