The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - Friday 6th July - Brazil 1-2 Belgium

football forum

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Machado said:

Lukaku speaks fluent Portuguese. What?! xD

Apparently Pogba speaks fluent Spanish. Some of this information is so bloody random hahaha

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Japan are a class side tbf. 

Reckon this will be a close game if Belgium ditch the 3 at the back. 

I don´t think Martínez will change it to a 4-man line in the defence. Last time Belgium played in a different system was in October 2016. But I think he´ll make adjustments. Chadli will probably replace Carrasco and Fellaini will come in for Mertens. With Fellaini, he´ll try to give more defensive support for Witsel and also explore the height difference between both teams. 

The Japan match was the worst outcome possible for us, because it really exposed Belgium´s defensive flaws and now they can fix for this game. 

I also think their players motivation will be much higher against Brazil and they´ll be much more commited to defending. They know that it may be the best chance of their generation to have a marquee game and be remembered in the history, after the disappointments of 2014 and 2016.   

I expect it to be a very tough game and I´m really scared of the individual talent Belgium has. De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Batshuayi are all class players, and De Bruyne and Hazard and Lukaku in special can decide a match at any moment. 

In my opinion, there are no favorites in this one. It´s 50%-50%.

On 04/07/2018 at 13:49, SirBalon said:

I don’t understand these historical rivalries like the Germany one or this one (France) you’ve just mentioned.

Maybe they were way before my time because the only one I remember was when I was very young against Scotland.

Neither do I. I've heard @Eco bring up the rivalry between England and France claiming it's the reason why English fans are against PSG, although it's genuinely the first time I've heard of such a rivalry in this day and age. 

The biggest rival in recent memory is actually Argentina. It is not so much the case anymore but was for years, you could even feel the hate between the players out on the pitch. @Berserker will even agree as there was a period where they hated us more than Uruguay and Brazil. It's not so much the case anymore though, maybe because it is now a new generation of people who weren't alive/were too young to remember the real reasons behind the rivalry or a case of neither team coming up against each other in a competitive fixture for a while. 

Germany is one of those where the English mock them at every opportunity, while the Germans don't really care too much about the English. It's rather one way. 

29 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Neither do I. I've heard @Eco bring up the rivalry between England and France claiming it's the reason why English fans are against PSG, although it's genuinely the first time I've heard of such a rivalry in this day and age. 

The biggest rival in recent memory is actually Argentina. It is not so much the case anymore but was for years, you could even feel the hate between the players out on the pitch. @Berserker will even agree as there was a period where they hated us more than Uruguay and Brazil. It's not so much the case anymore though, maybe because it is now a new generation of people who weren't alive/were too young to remember the real reasons behind the rivalry or a case of neither team coming up against each other in a competitive fixture for a while. 

Germany is one of those where the English mock them at every opportunity, while the Germans don't really care too much about the English. It's rather one way. 

To be honest the rivalry between England and France is non existent. Not in football anyway!

With Germany it's been historically against Holland where there's been a rivalry and with the England and Argentina rivalry is 70% political because of the Falklands issue and that was heightened to football terms because of Maradon's handball goal in 1986 and what he subsequently said calling it the  Hand of God.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The biggest rival in recent memory is actually Argentina. It is not so much the case anymore but was for years, you could even feel the hate between the players out on the pitch. @Berserker will even agree as there was a period where they hated us more than Uruguay and Brazil. It's not so much the case anymore though, maybe because it is now a new generation of people who weren't alive/were too young to remember the real reasons behind the rivalry or a case of neither team coming up against each other in a competitive fixture for so long.

I'd say the rivalry is pretty much alive mate, it's just like you have said that we have not played a competitive game in a long time. Although it perhaps has also toned down a bit recently like you mentioned, but still, a game in a knock-out phase in the WC would be massive and it's still a classic and a match i'd love to see.

45 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

To be honest the rivalry between England and France is non existent. Not in football anyway!

With Germany it's been historically against Holland where there's been a rivalry and with the England and Argentina rivalry is 70% political because of the Falklands issue and that was heightened to football terms because of Maradon's handball goal in 1986 and what he subsequently said calling it the  Hand of God.

Granted that i have no knowledge about Europe but i have heard that many French even when they know English refuse to speak with someone in English in France. Is it true and if it is is it just a normal thing ?

13 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Granted that i have no knowledge about Europe but i have heard that many French even when they know English refuse to speak with someone in English in France. Is it true and if it is is it just a normal thing ?

This is something different altogether mate and I'll also add that this is a Parisian issue more than something to be thrown at the French in general. In that sense you'll find that they have a problem not only with the English, but also with Italy and Spain two of their neighbours.

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

It's partly true. It doesn't come from nowhere. I was once on a business trip to Paris, conducting research in a Parisian suburb, these older French women were interviewing participants, I was just there monitoring the metrics, can't speak a word of French. The lead interviewer could speak English and refused to talk to me the whole time, told me to not even bother trying. She was kind enough to keep plying me with sweets and saying french pleasantry's but she just refused to talk English.

I've also got french relatives who have been making remarks throughout the world cup that from English perspective look bitter and derogatory. The thing is it is hard to tell with the french if they are being personal or if it is just their normal culture. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

This is something different altogether mate and I'll also add that this is a Parisian issue more than something to be thrown at the French in general. In that sense you'll find that they have a problem not only with the English, but also with Italy and Spain two of their neighbours.

Ok but what about my other point. Lots of comedy films have the bad/stupid guy as French or one who has a French accent.

3 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Ok but what about my other point. Lots of comedy films have the bad/stupid guy as French or one who has a French accent.

Have you ever seen probably the greatest British comedy series of all time 'Fawlty Towers'?

In there you have the stupid person as a Spanish waiter called Manuel (from Barcelona I'd like to add) xD

I'll also direct you to watching episodes of a 70s comedy series called 'Mind Your Language' which you'll find interesting in this respect. 

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Have you ever seen probably the greatest British comedy series of all time 'Falty Towers'?

In there you have the stupid person as a Spanish waiter called Manuel (from Barcelona I'd like to add) xD

I'll also direct you to watching episodes of a 70s comedy series called 'Mind Your Language' which you'll find interesting in this respect. 

Not exactly at my point.

I've seen some moments like in a auditioning they reject a guy saying ' He's too French' 

In another film they have a hotline setup which is for 'Tell us the reason why you love the French' and in the office there are cricket chirping and phone line operators sleeping.

Is it that i'm alien to that part of the World so i can't understand these things ? 

13 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Not exactly at my point.

I've seen some moments like in a auditioning they reject a guy saying ' He's too French' 

In another film they have a hotline setup which is for 'Tell us the reason why you love the French' and in the office there are cricket chirping and phone line operators sleeping.

Is it that i'm alien to that part of the World so i can't understand these things ? 

Because you're basing it on English movies and there you're getting the perspective traditionally coming from the UK.

If you were to watch Spanish or Italian movies and series (even German) you'd see that it's exactly the same thing.  Remember that where you come from the European culture is mainly seen through British eyes because of the historical connections between yourselves and Britian. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Because you're basing it on English movies and there you're getting the perspective traditionally coming from the UK.

If you were to watch Spanish or Italian movies and series (even German) you'd see that it's exactly the same thing.  Remember that where you come from the European culture is mainly seen through British eyes because of the historical connections between yourselves and Britian. 

We are reminded that by everyone mostly by our neighbors that the fact that we play Cricket aka a symbol of British Imperialism :coffee:

• The title was changed to Quarter-Final - Friday 6th July - Brazil 1-2 Belgium
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived